LG Laser projector is here... Should Epson be worried?

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member

Looks like LG are coming in strong with a lazer PJ. The spec list is a bit hard to believe (lol that contrast number) but surely Epson now need to move a bit faster re: releasing a new PJ this year given competition might be heating up in the £2000-£3500 price bracket.

Personally for me, this is a no-go because it doesn't have 3D but for 2D lovers out there.. surely its a bit tempting.

Laser
2700 lumens
Dynamic tone mapping frame by frame
HLG support
This adaptive contrast feature which looks interesting
Dual iris
Filmmaker mode
HDMI 2.1 with EARC
Airplay & screen sharing etc.
Looks like the best smart features on the market (not surprised given their TVs)

Generally tonnes of QOL features, and they seem to have nailed most specs for a first go at laser projectors.

Not in JVC price range but this is making Epson look a bit prehistoric now. I am personally excited because if LG release this, then maybe Epson have made similar strides for this year.

Last edited:

alebonau

apparently the hdmi only manages 26gbps so much for hdmi 2.1 ....

agree ... no 3D is a fail...

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
It’s a DLP laser so it’s claims of 2,000,000:1 contrast are laughable. Price and dark room performance will be the biggest deciding factors as to whether this will win sales from Epson/Sony and JVC.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
It’s a DLP laser so it’s claims of 2,000,000:1 contrast are laughable. Price and dark room performance will be the biggest deciding factors as to whether this will win sales from Epson/Sony and JVC.

TBH I think this doesn't try to touch Sony or JVC. They're in different price tiers.
I think this product firmly challenges Epson. As far as I know, the price is around 3000 to 3500 dollars.

I'm excited as the more players in the 2000-4000 range, the better, as its pretty stale in this price point. Heck, its stale at every price point so the more competition, the better.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Epson has better blacks, contrast & 3D. Better lens shift options and electronic lens cover too.

The LG will likely have better iris control, DTM which can lead to a more pleasing HDR picture, onboard smart features, HDMI 2.1 features (EARC, ALLM for gaming), 2700 lumens which I assume can all be used with DCIP3 and doesn't need a filter which cuts light, etc. Oh and I forgot its a laser which has its own specific advantages.

Overall for HDR material, although it might lack in the blacks; I think being able to pump 2700 lumens for HDR (or anything close to that, even 2000) with DTM makes it a real leg up on Epson in most scenes for HDR.

I do agree with you that likely, given LG's history with black levels on PJ, they will suck, and ultimately this will be better for those with non treated rooms; but its pretty exciting because it gives me hope that Epson might just deliver a 9500 which will rival this on the spec sheet.

I value 3D very highly and its the main reason I think my projector absolutely destroys my OLED for cinematic experience so LG not including it is just a stupid move IMO.

Imagine a laser based 9500 with HDMI 2.1ish features (I just want VRR), a lumen bump, DTM and maybe even a contrast increase. God damn!

Zag

Single chip DLP so rainbow effect 🌈 kind of ruins anything it does

Got my hopes up too for a second. Just another laser rainbow generator. Honestly don't know why they bother. With or without a colour wheel the DLP tech is flawed when a significant percentage of people find these projectors unwatchable.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom