LG HU810P 4K Laser Projector - First Impressions

MuzakaEklekta

Hi folks. Had this projector for a couple of days. I drive it with a PC. It's basically used as a monitor for gaming and movies, so it gives me a critical eye and no fancy post-processing tricks. All smart features have been completely ignored. My existing projector is a BenQ W1070, which is theoretically worlds apart from the HU810P.

After a year of anticipation, a couple of days of light use and 3 grand down, unfortunately it's not for me. Here are the pros and cons from my first impressions:

Pros:

• Lovely bright, vivid colours. Works well in ambient light.
  • HDR and tone mapping works well.
  • Wide colour gamut. Faithful overall colour reproduction.
  • Fast startup time.
  • Nice menu system.
Cons:

• Fan noise - nothing special at all. Still very audible in a quiet environment.
  • Lens sharpness - could not achieve text sharpness simultaneously in the centre and the corners.
  • The red sparkle/speckle - It's 100% real. I have a 0.6 gain grey screen and it still shows sparkles. Literally never seen that effect on any other projector (and i've bought/returned quite a few!)
  • Lag - Even in game mode, moving the cursor feels a little bit 'disconnected'. The other presets are unusable. Honest.
  • 4K - Yeah, it's a higher resolution, but it's not a monumental leap from my W1070 1080p projector. Honestly, when you have the chance to run a PC through it, you realise that this is designed for movies. It's not for a critical eye. You ain't gonna get a pixel perfect image.
Also, not necessarily a negative, but as a direct replacement for my W1070, I could not achieve 135", and instead around 110". If the projector blew me away, i would gladly knock the wall down and allow for a longer throw.

Alas, for the sheer fact that my old projector cost me £499 6 years ago, and when you consider it's 2021 and I'm throwing £3000 at the situation, I shouldn't be dealing with these negatives. I hope this works out for some people, but for me, it's seriously not worth the money.

Jimmy2shoes

Thanks for your honest opinion. I have been debating this projector or the Epson 9400. I was hoping the LG was going to be better but I am seeing a lot of mixed opinions for me to take the plunge. I'm already sending back the HT3500 which btw is a cracking beamer but I'm looking for higher tier model.
The Epson seems to tick all the boxes I need

ruru

Interesting …

Only just saw your post having written up my initial thoughts after one and a bit movie

We came from an Optoma HD141X though that was removed some weeks ago so no chance for a direct comparison.

Will check for the issues you stated - sparkles etc

One annoyance I found today is that the Harmony Hub is not able to control the LG even though it knows the model etc :-/

It could be the front IR is not in range of the hub IR extender / blaster but that was never an issue with the Optoma

Like you I was waiting to be wowed by 4K + HDR etc so will give a few more days and report back.

djpaulc247

Distinguished Member
This s a concern I have, I’m considering going from the same Benq projector to the Epson 9400 but for the white version it’s almost £3k and I’m thinking, am I really going to gain that much of an improvement for that kind of money?

cosmicjazzer

Novice Member
This is a helpful post for me as I too am looking for a projector to take the place of a monitor, one that will produce really sharp text etc. If you find such a projector please let me know!!

And I'm wondering if your BenQ W1070 'gets by', at least, for this kind of use?

MuzakaEklekta

This is a helpful post for me as I too am looking for a projector to take the place of a monitor, one that will produce really sharp text etc. If you find such a projector please let me know!!

And I'm wondering if your BenQ W1070 'gets by', at least, for this kind of use?
Being 1080p, obviously the text is more jagged due to the lower resolution but I would say the edge to edge sharpness is great for use a PC display.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom