LG HT805SH help needed

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by gordon115, Nov 29, 2010.

1. gordon115

gordon115

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Just bought one of these cheap for my sons bedroom.
    The only slight problem with it is that we cant stop sound coming out of the tvs speaker without turning the tv down.
    Every other home cinema I know doesn't send audio up the HDMI cable but this one does.
    I can't see why anyone would want sound from their tv speakers when it's coming out of all the other speakers.
    I can't find anything in the manual or the menu to turn HDMI audio off.
    Any help appreciated.

2. Broadz

Broadz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,423
    All home cinemas send audio up the HDMI cable. It'd be a pretty crap system that didn't let you watch DVDs on it through the TV speakers, wouldn't it?

Do you have an LG TV as well? If so, you can enable Simplink - LG's equivalent of Sony's Bravia Sync, Panasonic's Viera Link and Samsung's Anynet+ between the two pieces of kit, and each will control the other. For instance, turning on the home cinema will turn on the TV if it isn't already switched on - annoying if you don't want to watch TV, but there you go. It will also switch input on the TV to the HDMI cable connecting the TV and home cinema. Annoying again, but this is what these dozy manufacturers think you will always want to do. And, if you turn the TV off because you don't need to watch the picture, just listen to the audio, it will turn the home cinema off. Which is why most people disable this ridiculous function as soon as they get it. This feature is also what mutes the TV if you are listening through the home cinema - whether you want it to or not.

But, this feature is only available if the home cinema and the TV have the same manufacturer, and if you enable the feature on both the TV and the home cinema.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  3. gordon115

gordon115

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    No the tv is a Samung. I just want it so we dont have to mess about turning sound down on tv

4. Broadz

Broadz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,423
    Then you need to get either an LG TV, or a Samsung home cinema. The two won't converse if they aren't using the same HDMI CEC software.

5. StevieBuck

StevieBuck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +674
    Some TVs give you the option of disabling it's built in speakers. That's the only other thing I can suggest.

I sometimes use headphones late at night when watching TV or whatever to keep noise to a minimum. There doesn't seem to be a headphone output on this system, so I would have to rely on it outputting audio to my TV so I could use the TV's headphone socket instead. That's one reason I could think of why it's useful for it to output audio to the TV.