Quantcast

LG HR925M 3D Blu-ray Freeview HD Recorder Combi Review

The News Bot

News Supplying Robot
Reviewed by Mark Hodgkinson, 2nd November 2012. In comparison to some of the competition the LG HR925M might be seen as a little pricey. Both the Panasonic DMR-PWT420EB and Samsung BD-E8500M carry lower suggested retail prices for highly comparable specifications, so if you’re in the market for one of these devices it would be worth auditioning those too. However, the LG HR925M is certainly an excellent all-rounder – well conceived, carefully designed and thoroughly effective in the execution of its varied duties. It’s a comfortable AVForums Recommended Award!
Read the full review...

ababhb

Standard Member
Hi Mark,
I am new into the PVR and Blu-ray area. Read your review and consequently I am confused in which direction to go i.e. all-in-one or buy separate units.
After reading your review on Panasonic VT50 (TX-P55VT50B) and I purchased this TV have never looked back.
I have no additional boxes to this TV and I have terrestrial Freeview connection to the TV. I now find that I wish to record i.e. PVR and also I would like to watch 3D/2D Blu-ray DVDs.
Therefore I have some naive queries and shall be grateful if you can answer where possible:
- My previous TV was Sony CRT that serviced us well for 10yrs and there once I buy external box(es) then I would like to use them for many years. Therefore as mentioned earlier is it better to buy all-in-one or separate units?
- Looking at the review between LG HR925M and Samsung BD-E8500M the latter got highly recommended. As I don’t know technically, therefore it is good, as a starting point, to start my investigation by your recommendation?
- At present the cost is not my priority as yet.
Many thanks in advance.

hodg100

Distinguished Member
Hi Mark,
I am new into the PVR and Blu-ray area. Read your review and consequently I am confused in which direction to go i.e. all-in-one or buy separate units.
After reading your review on Panasonic VT50 (TX-P55VT50B) and I purchased this TV have never looked back.
I have no additional boxes to this TV and I have terrestrial Freeview connection to the TV. I now find that I wish to record i.e. PVR and also I would like to watch 3D/2D Blu-ray DVDs.
Therefore I have some naive queries and shall be grateful if you can answer where possible:
- My previous TV was Sony CRT that serviced us well for 10yrs and there once I buy external box(es) then I would like to use them for many years. Therefore as mentioned earlier is it better to buy all-in-one or separate units?
- Looking at the review between LG HR925M and Samsung BD-E8500M the latter got highly recommended. As I don’t know technically, therefore it is good, as a starting point, to start my investigation by your recommendation?
- At present the cost is not my priority as yet.
Many thanks in advance.
I can understand your dilemma. Personally I prefer separates if only for the reason that if something goes wrong you're not left without multiple functions.

There's very little in it between the Samsung and LG. I'd say the LG was a bit more user friendly but the Samsung is a bit less costly. Again, personal choice, but I use Netflix and iPlayer quite a lot and the LG has neither although that is sure to change.

Suave

Hi Mark!

I too need to gets blu-ray player & something that can record programmes that can be watched later for my sister.

Problem is she watches Zee TV which we get via paying a subscription & have a viewing card on on old Panasonic Sky box (which we would like to do away with!). I am getting very conflicting info if Zee TV is available on FreeviewHD/Freesat HD but if it is not, can we still use this LG or the Samsung one to record Zee TV programmes & watch later even though they are coming from the Sky Satellite Box?

Many Thanks!
Suave!

hodg100

Distinguished Member
Hi Mark!

I too need to gets blu-ray player & something that can record programmes that can be watched later for my sister.

Problem is she watches Zee TV which we get via paying a subscription & have a viewing card on on old Panasonic Sky box (which we would like to do away with!). I am getting very conflicting info if Zee TV is available on FreeviewHD/Freesat HD but if it is not, can we still use this LG or the Samsung one to record Zee TV programmes & watch later even though they are coming from the Sky Satellite Box?

Many Thanks!
Suave!
Hi Suave

I can't see Zee TV on Freeview. I think you might have more luck with a satellite recorder that you can manually tune but I don't know if you'd be able to get an EPG for it.

The answer to the second part is, no, you can't record to them from external sources, sorry.

Mark

PETE01

Standard Member
I have a Samsung BD-E8500M-XU FREEVIEW combination box that is 1 week old.

The Blue Ray DVD player works well as does the BBC i Player but it does not have the ITV Player function on its so called Smart View home menu.

I believe that I should be able to view ITV Player via the internet web connection. I can get to the ITV Player web page and select a program but when I select "Play" nothing happens.

I have contacted Samsung 3 times and have tried a Firmware upgrade from their website by a USB stick.

Has anybody else had this experience and if so what is the fix, please?

Orson

Hello, and welcome to AVForums,

I can't help you specifically with your query, however, there is an owners thread for that model in the forums, so you may be better asking there. Link below.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/pvrs-vcrs/1600546-samsung-bd-e8300-bd-e8500-bd-e8900-master-thread-11.html

I have a Samsung BD-E8500M-XU FREEVIEW combination box that is 1 week old.

The Blue Ray DVD player works well as does the BBC i Player but it does not have the ITV Player function on its so called Smart View home menu.

I believe that I should be able to view ITV Player via the internet web connection. I can get to the ITV Player web page and select a program but when I select "Play" nothing happens.

I have contacted Samsung 3 times and have tried a Firmware upgrade from their website by a USB stick.

Has anybody else had this experience and if so what is the fix, please?