LG HD-DVD ROM combo drive

LeJimster

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

Has anyone had experience with this combo drive? I was thinking of getting one along with a bunch of cheap HD-DVD's to start my collection. I'm planning on building a HTPC eventually and having a drive that plays both formats sounds like a great idea, but is the quality there? and is the software support good?

I have this drive, its a very nice drive and would highly recommend it.

With regards to HD-DVD playback, the newer PowerDVD versions don't support them.

There are tweaks to get it to work, I myself just go down the other route when I want to watch a HD-DVD off the hard drive just convert it to Blu-Ray (this though is mainly for my Iobox playback than anything else).

The whole process from Ripping to end product takes about an hour with my CoreI7 PC.

Just use EvoDemux to rip the selected audio and subtitle tracks, then tsMuxeR to mux it to blu-ray format.

How do you rip the video file??????

If evo rips the audio/subtitles, how do u extract the video and then merge them 2gether. Also is there any loss of quality?
Maybe u could point me to a guide
thank u

If evo rips the audio/subtitles, how do u extract the video and then merge them 2gether. Also is there any loss of quality?
Maybe u could point me to a guide
thank u

Yeah get what you mean now.

Bit of a cross wires, I meant it allows you to select the audio and subtitles you want to rip out.

HD-DVD's only have one Video track so this does not need removing.

Evodemux rips the video, and your choice of audio and subtitle tracks.

Here is the guide for demuxing the HD-DVD's.

A Layman's Guide to Shrinking HDDVD Size on Hard Drive - SlySoft Forum

Then all you do is just click on add each of the three of the separate outputs, video, audio, subtitle in tsMuxeR and mux them together.

I have this drive, its a very nice drive and would highly recommend it.

With regards to HD-DVD playback, the newer PowerDVD versions don't support them.

There are tweaks to get it to work, I myself just go down the other route when I want to watch a HD-DVD off the hard drive just convert it to Blu-Ray (this though is mainly for my Iobox playback than anything else).

The whole process from Ripping to end product takes about an hour with my CoreI7 PC.

Just use EvoDemux to rip the selected audio and subtitle tracks, then tsMuxeR to mux it to blu-ray format.

WinDVD 9 Plus Blu-Ray from Corel can play HD-DVDs.

In fact, I use it to play HD-DVDs on my Apple Mac in Windows.

WinDVD 9 - DVD & Video Playback

Can these two software play hd dvds ripped to the hard drive? Thats what i am really looking for. HAven't been able to accomplish that yet.
Anthony does this re encode with tsmuxer reduce the quality from the original?

Can these two software play hd dvds ripped to the hard drive? Thats what i am really looking for. HAven't been able to accomplish that yet.
Anthony does this re encode with tsmuxer reduce the quality from the original?

Yes, as long as you have AnyHDDVD running.

No loss in quality, its demuxing, not transcoding.

If you just update the software that comes with the drive you can still play hd dvd discs.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom