LG HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Drive

MarkSS

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone got their hands on the new dual format LG drive yet?

That'll be the GGW-H10N then?

At £500 I don't expect many people have got their hands on it ;)

bestbuy link isn't working

does this thing actually exist?? I can't find any info on the web anywhre

Anyone like to guess when this is going to hit the UK, assuming it's not an elaborate hoax!? Any chance it may be this year?

Currently deciding whether to get a blu-ray internal drive for my media PC and a standalone HD-DVD player (such as Toshiba's EP30 with 7 free movies for £250!), so all bases are covered, but if this beauty was to materialise at a reasonable price then it may be the best option, assuming my media PC has the nads to cope with it of course.

For crying out loud, why does everyone think this is some kind of fake :mad:

Do a search for GGC-H20N * and see the worldwide extent of the fakery!

At a guess we'll see it before the end of October at £199 but don't blame me if thats wildly out.

You guys, honestly, you drive me to tears ;)
Paul

* japanese version of the same drive.

NCIX seem like a strange choice to get the first delivery from LG. They're actually Canadian (British Columbia), but also sell to the US.

BTW it comes with PowerDVD Ultra OEM.

Is anyone sure or confident of how to get the most from these drives in the way of HD audio formats such as TrueHD and DTS-HD MA?

I'm contemplating upgrading my media center with one of these when they land on our shores but I'm not sure using Power DVD Ultra that it doesn't downgrade the audio prior to output, so no point connecting it to a new AV receiver that can decode the HD audio formats.

I also expect it's not possible or straightforward to output the lossless HD audio formats via a graphics card with HDMI, as they seem to use a spdif connection which doesn't have the bandwidth, and so I may need to invest in a suitable sound card that has analogue 5.1 output to connect it to an AV receiver.

All this is making me wonder whether it's easier to just buy one or two standalone players, but if anyone can clarify the situation it may help me decide how to proceed.

Is anyone sure or confident of how to get the most from these drives in the way of HD audio formats such as TrueHD and DTS-HD MA?

I'm contemplating upgrading my media center with one of these when they land on our shores but I'm not sure using Power DVD Ultra that it doesn't downgrade the audio prior to output, so no point connecting it to a new AV receiver that can decode the HD audio formats.

I also expect it's not possible or straightforward to output the lossless HD audio formats via a graphics card with HDMI, as they seem to use a spdif connection which doesn't have the bandwidth, and so I may need to invest in a suitable sound card that has analogue 5.1 output to connect it to an AV receiver.

All this is making me wonder whether it's easier to just buy one or two standalone players, but if anyone can clarify the situation it may help me decide how to proceed.

well, sound output has nothing to do with the drive. I think you right that PowerDVD downgrades any TruHD or PCM soundtrack to 48k/16 bit (which still sounds bloody good if you ask me!!). My soundcard outputs analog 5.1 and i've tested it briefly. I've also got a Tosh HD A1 with analog outs, but that's taking up the set of inputs in my amp at the mo. With this drive I could get both out of the one connection rather than swapping around!!

Well, I managed to get hold of one of these (or at least it will be on its way to me in a day or so from the US).

I'll report back once I have it in my grubby little hands but I am so pleased to at last be able to view both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray without having to cough up for seperate players/drives - ahhh, the wonders of modern technology :thumbsup:

No idea when the drive will be out in the UK, surprised its taking so long (thus the reason I decided to import one).

Paul

Hi Paul

Where did you source it from

Many thanks

RON

EWiz, got a good deal, $349 inc delivery but they are all gone now and no sign of when they may be back in stock. The company sold all their stock out in just a couple of hours. I'll likely be hit with Customs as well but at least I'll have one at last.

Don't dispair though, looks like the drive will be out in the UK VERY soon (you are googling for it aren't you - UK price is currently £165 inc vat?!)!
Paul

Think I may have to get one of these then I can finally ditch the external xbox drive and go dual format all at once :thumbsup:

Hi Paul

You lucky bloke you

I'm definitely getting one of these, coupled with Any HD DVD will give me the ability to have region free Blu Ray

RON

I've come very backwards to this thread. I was looking at Overclockers and considering the purchase of the new Pioneer Blu-Ray drive for £104.99. Then I saw a Toshiba HD-DVD drive for £66? Suddenly I am contemplating buying both, then I search for a review of the Pioneer drive. They mention this LG dual format drive, look on AVForums and here I am!!!!

When can we get this!!!! I wan't it now :D

You lucky git :D I wish it was available here.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom