LG HB954PB 5.1 HOME THEATER SYSTEM - worth the money?

maxib

Standard Member
Thanks. Checked them already and no stock:( Everytime I call one of these companies up, the due date for new stock seems to get later and later! Been trying since end of dec!

thomsenkbh

Standard Member
Hi,
I just received my system yesterday and have been testing various DVDs, CDs, Radio and USB-keys and everything works well, picture and sound are both great.

I have one minor complain though: The cooling fan is not absolutely silent when it sets in. Anyone else who noticed this? Or could it be that my set is flawed?

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
any kind of "fan" used for cooling will never be silent..you want silent, use heatpipes or heatsinks.

thomsenkbh

Standard Member
any kind of "fan" used for cooling will never be silent..you want silent, use heatpipes or heatsinks.
well, "not silent" was an understatement :) Its actually quite noticeable. I wonder if thats normal for this particular system - if some of you guys has this system I would be happy to hear your experience with this issue.

Maybe its just something I should sort of expect and maybe Ill get used to it too

Smiffy 2

I wonder if thats normal for this particular system - if some of you guys has this system I would be happy to hear your experience with this issue.
I've had this system for a couple of months now and have not noticed excessive cooling fan noise. Having said that, I sit quite a way away from the unit and usually have the volume cranked up quite a bit.
Bit too early to try it out right now, but will have a deliberate listen later and post back my findings......... but as I say, it's never bothered me.
I love the package though. The only thing I don't like is the disk tray. Feels very flimsy in comparison to others I have, and I'm very wary not to be too clumsy inserting a disk.
Also the tweeters on the speakers could do with a little protecting. Even dusting them runs the risk of putting a dent in them.....:(:(:(
But great sound and picture quality.

thomsenkbh

Standard Member
"Bit too early to try it out right now, but will have a deliberate listen later and post back my findings."

Great! make sure that you wait a while after you turn the unit on, it takes a while (in the order of ½ hour) before the fan starts up.

"The only thing I don't like is the disk tray. Feels very flimsy in comparison to others I have, and I'm very wary not to be too clumsy inserting a disk."

I was also surprised to see the design of that tray - its definately light-weight :)

Smiffy 2

Great! make sure that you wait a while after you turn the unit on, it takes a while (in the order of ½ hour) before the fan starts up.
Well had a good session on it today, couple of Blu rays and about an hour on the 360 (got that going into via HDMI).
No real fan noise to speak of, certainly quieter than my 360 or my PS3 when I fire that up.
It's there, but it's not off putting at all.
Just turn the volume up
:smashin:

Hammers

Standard Member
Cheers! It's still showing no stock, though - was it showing that when you ordered?

Good price, mind!
Arrived today :) I had similar problem to you as only Dixons had it at £719 and everywhere out of stock including them. Checked again and they were in stock so just have to keep looking as they must be coming in and out all the time.

Donna Marie

Standard Member
Hello there

I've just bought this system and love it. However, I can't hear any sound from the centre or rear speakers when the TV or Ipod are playing. Music comes through the sub and front speakers fine. Can anyone please advise?

Smiffy 2

Hello there

I've just bought this system and love it. However, I can't hear any sound from the centre or rear speakers when the TV or Ipod are playing. Music comes through the sub and front speakers fine. Can anyone please advise?

Have you tried altering the surround sound mode?
If you have the sound mode set to "bypass" it will automatically play these sources in "stereo". The sub is kicking in because with most (if not all) all in ones the smaller speakers are not considered man enough to handle true stereo properly.
Try pressing the "Sound" button (red button to the right of the main volume button) and it should bring up a display in the top left hand corner of your TV screen (as well as on the panel display on the unit just in case you haven't got your TV on) to show you what mode it is in. You will have to scroll through the various options and get one of the surround sound modes showing to get sound from your centre and rears. Just keep pressing the "sound" button until you hear the other speakers kick in and get the sound quality that you want. You wll find one that you prefer!
Hope that makes sense and sorts out your "problem"...but it's not a problem as such. They all do that!
Glad to hear that you are enjoying your purchase. It's a great system and the reviews it has received all seem to have got it spot on.
Rob

Last edited:

Tony E

Standard Member
Hello there

Go to set up go to hdm1 and turn off you will then have sound from all speakers, let me know how you go on.:hiya:

Hammers

Standard Member
Any idea where I can buy some speaker stands for this system please. The surround sound speakers have a round bottom and bit unusual.

Thank you

maxib

Standard Member
Have had this for a couple of weeks now, thanks to all for the advice. All I can say is WOW. Am really loving this system. Doddle to set up, the picture is simply stunning, seems to even knock spots some of the better HD channels on sky. And the sound! Watched the new star trek movie with mates on bluray and the sounds of ricochets during the laser fight flying around you had everyone's mouths hanging open. Bit pricey but anyone thinking about this one - just go buy it!

Snurreleif

Standard Member
Hi, another question from another noob.
I'm afraid of not getting space for my rear-speakers, but I've heard that its got so called VSM.

So my question is:
Is it possible to only use the front-speakers, and still get a "fake" 5.1 sound thanks to VSM? Or is that impossible?

What's the point of getting a 5.1 system and use it as 3.1. The rears are small and you're btter off leaving them below a couch or something than not using them at all.
I think they also make a 2.1 all-in-one the HB 354.

By the way new firmware just out for the 954PB check it out here:
LG Product Support for HB954PB

What a GREAT system...

Snurreleif

Standard Member
I was thinking abit "ahead" with this purchase and me personally won't ever need anything more fancy than what this package offers :)

Won't putting them below the couch affect the sound quite alot? I know these questions are probably quite rubbish for you, but again I'm a noob when it comes to anything that has to do with audio.
Appriciate your effort!

Snurreleif

Standard Member
Seeing as the two rear-speakers are wall-mountable, can they also be twisted into an angle?
Because noobie me would think you'd get the best sound if they were directly facing the telly, or am I completly off?

Snurreleif

Standard Member
Ah cheers :)

Edit:
But then my initial question stands, 'cos I dont have any places on a wall where they can be put up like that, unless the speakers can be turned slightly whilst mounted on the wall.

Sorry if it doesnt make any sense, I'm a foreigner : |

Last edited:

Smiffy 2

I know that this is resurrecting an old thread, but wondered if anybody else with this system is suffering the same problems as me?
I've had the system for a while now, (obviously!), and am still pleased with it, but am annoyed that certain blu rays don't play properly. Four in particular in my collection get to a certain point (the same one every time) and then suddenly the sound will drop out and a couple of seconds later the picture will freeze. I can then remove the disc, put a new one in (which I know doesn't give problems) and it will play all the way through without a hitch.
As I say, it's the same discs that do it, they have done it since brand new...the latest one to have the problem is the new Sweeney film (wife got it for my birthday the other day so it wasnt my choice!!)....
It will play all the way through without a hitch, but as soon as it gets to exactly the same section in chapter 19, it freezes.
I have contacted LG about it, they suggested installing the latest firmware (which I have done) but it is still doing it.
I purchased a lens cleaner to see if that would make any difference but the player won't accept it, saying "disk error" and ejecting it straight away. Shame, 'cos it was quite expensive!
As I say, it is only doing this with the same discs....other discs play perfectly. And all the discs are legit copies, not downloads or hooky ones, and are in immaculate condition, no scratches etc.
A bit puzzling.....

Smiffy 2

Things are going from bad to worse with this system.
Wife ordered me the new "Skyfall" blu ray for my birthday, it was delivered yesterday.
Came home from work, settled down to watch it, and I get an error message come up "Your Blu ray player requires an update to play this disk".....THERE IS NO UPDATE AVAILABLE!!!!!!
I was on to LG again last night, they have no idea as to how to fix it!!
I'm a bit cheesed off. This system cost a lot of money and now I find that I can no longer go out and buy a film for it knowing that I can watch it!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 2nd December 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Klipsch announces four Cinema soundbars for UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Elipson adds Connect 250 streaming amp to Connected range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cyrus Audio announces XR series Hi-Fi products
  • By Andy Bassett