LG HB954PB 5.1 HOME THEATER SYSTEM - worth the money?

samtaff

Standard Member
Hi... I am seriously looking at buying this System .. and it may be an odd question ( I'm new to this stuff! ) but as I live in a flat I would like to know if theres a Headphone Socket on this? It would help extend my watching / listening during un-social hours as I'm also a Shift worker. The flats have quite thin walls unfortunately... and watching DVD's just after midnight with anything like a decent volume is out of the question...

Smiffy 2

Hi... I am seriously looking at buying this System .. and it may be an odd question ( I'm new to this stuff! ) but as I live in a flat I would like to know if theres a Headphone Socket on this? It would help extend my watching / listening during un-social hours as I'm also a Shift worker. The flats have quite thin walls unfortunately... and watching DVD's just after midnight with anything like a decent volume is out of the question...
I am also in the process of purchasing one of these systems, and reading the downloadable owners manual for the set it doesn't appear to have a headphone socket.
It has "night" mode which enables you to listen without waking the dead....but whether that works or not is another matter ;););)

dandyman

Standard Member
Hi i'm really new to the whole AV arena though this thread has really got me interested in this LG setup. I'm just wondering if my standard virgin cable box will connect to this system easily for the television in addition to bluray; currently it just uses scart? Cheers.:lesson:

kha0s

Standard Member
Greetings
Yesterday I finally got my HB954PB. Spent the whole day unpacking and testing. It has exceeded by a clear mile my wildest expectations. Worth every cent!
It's hard to find a feature this set lacks. One of the few is the absence of "automatic sound calibration. One needs to do it manually, and I'm having some trouble with it. In the "Speaker Setup" section, it's possible to adjust the "Volume" and "Distance". One would think that the "Volume" would be automatically adjusted in function of the inputted "Distance", but I've confirmed that's not the case. So, the question is: what's the "Distance/Volume" ration? I.e, for each meter of speaker distance, how many speaker volume dB should one increase?
Here goes the "Speaker->Listening Position Distances" of my system:

Front Left: 3.75m
Center: 2.90m
Front Right: 3.75m
Rear Left: 2.30m
Rear Right: 2.30m

Thanks in advance

Smiffy 2

I would like to know if any of the speakers are wireless please?
None of the speakers are wireless.

Hi i'm really new to the whole AV arena though this thread has really got me interested in this LG setup. I'm just wondering if my standard virgin cable box will connect to this system easily for the television in addition to bluray; currently it just uses scart? Cheers.:lesson:
Your Virgin cable box would go to the telly via scart but you must have some other audio outputs on the back of it to run to the amp to get your surround sound.

Greetings
Yesterday I finally got my HB954PB. Spent the whole day unpacking and testing. It has exceeded by a clear mile my wildest expectations. Worth every cent!
It's hard to find a feature this set lacks. One of the few is the absence of "automatic sound calibration. One needs to do it manually, and I'm having some trouble with it. In the "Speaker Setup" section, it's possible to adjust the "Volume" and "Distance". One would think that the "Volume" would be automatically adjusted in function of the inputted "Distance", but I've confirmed that's not the case. So, the question is: what's the "Distance/Volume" ration? I.e, for each meter of speaker distance, how many speaker volume dB should one increase?
Here goes the "Speaker->Listening Position Distances" of my system:

Front Left: 3.75m
Center: 2.90m
Front Right: 3.75m
Rear Left: 2.30m
Rear Right: 2.30m

Thanks in advance
I have similar distances to you Kha0s and have set my front left and rights at +2db, my centre and rears at +1db and it all seems perfectly adequate to me. My sub is wound right back to -9db though as I get on quite well with my neighbours!

Smiffy 2

I've decided on this system. Is there any way of mounting the front speakers to a wall?
Nope.
You might be able to find someway of attaching the centre speaker to a wall, but the fronts are integrated into the "champagne flute" stands.....and very nice they look too.

The rears can be wall mounted. The little stand unscrews and fits into another hole on the back of them. That's how I have mine.
;)

maxib

Standard Member
Hi, seems quiet on this thread, seems everyone happy! Could I ask a quick question?
I'm looking to get a new tv (probably Sammy 750 or 8000) which have issues with echoes when connecting to external speakers. I know nothing about this, but does the lg954 have the audio delay/lip sync function so I can manually set?

Many thanks for any input!

Smiffy 2

Hi, seems quiet on this thread, seems everyone happy! Could I ask a quick question?
I'm looking to get a new tv (probably Sammy 750 or 8000) which have issues with echoes when connecting to external speakers. I know nothing about this, but does the lg954 have the audio delay/lip sync function so I can manually set?

Many thanks for any input!
It does indeed
;)

maxib

Standard Member
Thanks! Gets better and better. Is there anything wrong with this system?! Cant find anyone with a bad thing to say about it! Thats me sold!

Smiffy 2

Thanks! Gets better and better. Is there anything wrong with this system?!
Not as far as I'm concerned.
I replaced some "mid range" seperates with this unit and am blown away by it's sound and picture quality.
I would highly recommend it.

maxcovergold

How's this compare to the Sony 36SS package that's going around atm for sub £300, is it worth the extra money or similar sort of performance?

Cheers

Smiffy 2

How's this compare to the Sony 36SS package that's going around atm for sub £300, is it worth the extra money or similar sort of performance?

Cheers
Haven't got a clue how it compares to the Sony system.
I had an Onkyo 605 amp and a set of Aego T speakers and it's as good as those
:smashin:

maxcovergold

Haven't got a clue how it compares to the Sony system.
I had an Onkyo 605 amp and a set of Aego T speakers and it's as good as those
:smashin:
very impressive for an allinone. Specs aren't drastically different and good reviews on the Sony, so unless someone tells me it's drastically better I'll stick with my order and save the money.

maxib

Standard Member
Dont think the sony has TruHD or DTS HD, but not sure how important this is? Are these the best options for sound with Blurays?

maxcovergold

Dont think the sony has TruHD or DTS HD, but not sure how important this is? Are these the best options for sound with Blurays?
Will not the player decode that as Linear PCM over HDMI like the PS3? It all confuses me, but I don't want to be buying the sony setup if I can't get HD audio, that's the whole point!

Last edited:

Smiffy 2

I just wanted something that I knew would play all the HD sound formats without having to mess around, and also wanted it to look good.
The LG system satisfies both criteria.
The front speakers look superb finished in gloss piano black and match up with my TV beautifully.
The centre speaker really packs a punch, and the surrounds are every bit as good as my Aego T's.
I have wound the sub right down to minus 9db and it is still awesome, waking up at just the right time.
Sony for under £300.00 or LG for £550.00? Something tells me that Sony have cut corners with the price they are pitching at.....LG haven't.
;)

TheSweeney

Standard Member
Hello folks!!

I wonder can you help me - :lease:

I've pretty much decided to treat myself to an LG HB954PB, however, my living room needs the rear speakers to be raised so they're above the sofa but I'd prefer not to wall mount them...

Can the rear speakers be attached to speaker stands as with other speakers, and if so has anybody any recommendations for stands that are a good match for the LG HB954PB speakers?

... I'm currently thinking of going for the Omnimount ELO Satellite Speaker stands...

Thanks a million for your help!!

TheSweeney

Smiffy 2

The rear speakers are an unusual shape. They have a small stand built into them whch can be unscrewed and can go at the back of the speaker for wall mounting. These are attached by a single threaded screw. Don't know what diameter the hole is though.

Hammers

Standard Member
Just ordered mine and waiting for delivery, can anyone tell me where to get a hdmi lead from and if there is a particular type I need or is better please?

Thank you

Smiffy 2

Can anyone tell me where to get a hdmi lead from and if there is a particular type I need or is better please?
I got mine from Asda, about £7.99 each I think. Work perfectly well. Tesco will do them too....:smashin::smashin:
You could spend £40.00 on one in Comet/Currys if it makes you feel better but I don't think you'd spot any difference
;););)

You will love the system by the way. Post back your findings after a few days of use.

maxib

Standard Member
Where are people buying this? Cant find anywhere with stock for a reasonable (sub£800) price been searching everywhere!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies

Latest News

Elipson adds Connect 250 streaming amp to Connected range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cyrus Audio announces XR series Hi-Fi products
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sonus faber announces Maxima Amator speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TCL announces new soundbars for UK TV consumers
  • By Andy Bassett