LG HB954PB 5.1 HOME THEATER SYSTEM - worth the money?

Windeos

Novice Member
Looking for a blu ray system to go with the LG 50ps8000 plasma for my dad's birthday and I'm wondering if people think this all-in-one set up would be a good option or not.

I was all for buying just a normal blu ray player but I know what he is like, he's end up going out and buying some crap speakers to try and make a cheap system. So I thought I'd try and sort him out with this all-in-one, any opinions on this system??

MichaelGL

Novice Member
Looking for a blu ray system to go with the LG 50ps8000 plasma for my dad's birthday and I'm wondering if people think this all-in-one set up would be a good option or not.

I was all for buying just a normal blu ray player but I know what he is like, he's end up going out and buying some crap speakers to try and make a cheap system. So I thought I'd try and sort him out with this all-in-one, any opinions on this system??
Well it'll certainly be better than the TVs speakers and if you know your old man is going to out and buy rubbish then go for it

Scored 9/10 on wired.co.uk

Review: LG HB954PB Blu-ray player

Windeos

Novice Member
Thought I'd let people know, bought this system and it's due to arrive next Monday. So I'll take a few pics and try my best to do a wee review to let people know if it's any good or not.

Wolfmother

Novice Member
Thought I'd let people know, bought this system and it's due to arrive next Monday. So I'll take a few pics and try my best to do a wee review to let people know if it's any good or not.
PRC (Essex) were selling this for 600 quid. I contemplated crossing the Thames to have a gander. But it would be nice to hear your review first.

Windeos

Novice Member
Well the HB954PB arrived a few hours ago but I haven't had a chance to set it all up so when I get a chance Ill try and take some pictures and that for anyone as soon as possible.

First thing to note is that the system looks gorgeous though

Wolfmother

Novice Member
Well the HB954PB arrived a few hours ago but I haven't had a chance to set it all up so when I get a chance Ill try and take some pictures and that for anyone as soon as possible.

First thing to note is that the system looks gorgeous though

It certainly struck me as being quite stylish. and a bit different.
So Have fun setting it up!:thumbsup:

Windeos

Novice Member
It's unreal how simple LG have laid out the whole system, it's a real dummies guide to setting the speakers up with red tag around the speaker cable for the front right speaker, blue front left etc etc.

I've spent the entire evening watching blu rays and I can't honestly fault the system at all. Ipod dock works great, speakers handle everything I throw at it. Took a few pics of unpacking the set and that I'll put them up the 1st chance I get.

Now I'm off back upstairs to listen to the Verve live at oxegen (I was in the crowd) which has just started on mtv hd. :hiya:

Blacktigger72

Standard Member
Thinking off buying this one too from currys £549.99. I did have the LG ht903A but HDMI wasn't working properly so lg refunding my money within the next week. The LG954 does look nice but i might hold out for the small speakers coming out later this year so LG say but i'm very tempted....Please put up those picture and a review

Windeos

Novice Member
Well here are the pictures of the speakers with a mini review (I'm no expert)

Firstly the box, a real large and very heavy box well packaged:

Then I sat everything bar the manual and that on the floor too get a good look:

I was blown away by the design on the speakers, the blue really does stand out and looks beautiful from any angle and also changes slightly depending on the angle as well:

The front two speakers have heavy bases which you only have too screw a bar into before screwing the speakers ontop of them. Very easy to put together and very sturdy, an overall great design:

Here is a picture of the speakers all put together (took 5mins max) and ready to wire up (takes another 5mins max). Design and set up wise this system is a dream:

Now to talk a bit about the audio, the system handles music very well and I love the sound that comes out from the system in general. They compare very well to my bedroom system of Q Acoustic 5.1 with Onkyo 607 and that really surprised me. I believe this system plays music and blu rays very well and make me believe I got a bargain and made the right decision in purchasing this system.

Overall in my eyes, easy to put togetherr, simple to wire, beautiful to look at and most importantly sound great. I really really like this all in one system and it completely shocked me how good it sounded to my ear (remember I'm no expert).

PS Looks unreal along with the LG 50PS8000 due to the blue glow around the outside of the glass in the tv. Obviously LG made the all in one and tv to be together and my god a match in heaven :thumbsup:

Thumbs up from me!!

Wolfmother

Novice Member
Thanks Windeos for the pics and write up.
Have you got a ps3,sky or virgin box, xbox if so how do you find the sound and PQ.
When i finnaly get round to getting this all in one. I'll be trying to juggle a V-box, 360 and ps3!! So all the sound needs to go thru the LG but picture can go straight to the TV. And if this is the case then the last thing i want is sound lag!

Windeos

Novice Member
Thanks Windeos for the pics and write up.
Have you got a ps3,sky or virgin box, xbox if so how do you find the sound and PQ.
When i finnaly get round to getting this all in one. I'll be trying to juggle a V-box, 360 and ps3!! So all the sound needs to go thru the LG but picture can go straight to the TV. And if this is the case then the last thing i want is sound lag!
No sound lag over here, I've got the ps3 attached as well as sky+ HD in the 2 hdmi in ports and don't have any sync or lag problems.

The only slight downside is that there is only 2 hdmi inputs but it's all I need so I can't complain but for maybe a bigger home cinema set up with projectors et al it could be a problem.

So anyway no lag problem with the sound, just a very good set up in my view.

Blacktigger72

Standard Member
Hi Windeos just wanted to know how the new system is now that you have had it a few days/weeks. give us an update review please.

Just got my money back from my old system and waiting for a good deal on this system now...

proboost

Standard Member
I have just purchased this very system (LG HB954PB 5.1 HOME THEATER SYSTEM) and the LG 47LH3000 TV, however I can't get the damn thing to work with my TV and cable box, I can get sound from the DVD and it sounds awsome but nothing when I switch to TV or cable, can anybody point me in the right direction? thanks :smashin:

proboost

Standard Member
I have just purchased this very system (LG HB954PB 5.1 HOME THEATER SYSTEM) and the LG 47LH3000 TV, however I can't get the damn thing to work with my TV and cable box, I can get sound from the DVD and it sounds awsome but nothing when I switch to TV or cable, can anybody point me in the right direction? thanks :smashin:
I'll answer my own question, LOL.

I have fitted an optical lead and everything works as it should :smashin:

Gavin C

Standard Member
I am very tempted by this system...to use a V+ box and X360 to put through as well.
Wondering if you need to have the dvd switched on......for those times I want to put the tv (v+) sound straight through to the tv without using 5.1 sound.

I dont want cbeebies and other kids programmes necessarily to go through the speakers!

Thinking of hdmi'ing from V+ straight to TV, with an optic from V+ to the system....would this work?

Thanks

akachris1

Standard Member
I dont want cbeebies and other kids programmes necessarily to go through the speakers!

Thinking of hdmi'ing from V+ straight to TV, with an optic from V+ to the system....would this work?

Thanks
That would work ya. Just just remember to turn the sound from the tv off if you want to use the speaker system or you could have a echo with the sound, its caught me a few times :D

kdombaz

Standard Member
Guys/Gals

I am very interested in buying this or its 2.1 speaker sibling. The only problem I have is the setup for PS3 and SKYHD+. Neither outputs 5.1 audio through HDMI and I presume I would have to connect an optical and coaxial cable for each.
But will I be able to assign optical to hdmi1 (so image through hdmi sound through optical) and coaxial for HDMI2 in order to get native 5.1 sound out?
If when using HDMI1/2 sound goes through HDMI then Dolby Pro Logic 2 will have to create 5.1 out of 2.1.

If Anyone can answer this question I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks

Trained_Killa.

namastebuzz

Can any of the speakers be wall mounted? Or can you buy the unit without speakers?

I want this to go with a PS8000 but would prefer more discrete speakers.

kdombaz: I would be surprised if you could not assign audio inputs to HDMIs as this is a common requirement.

rollocks

Standard Member
I must say I was seriously considering the Panasonic SC-BT205 but now I've seen this LG kit I think I've changed my mind.

I'll read up about it more later but quickly can anyone tell me if the rear speakers are wall mountable and how is the connectivity to the internet? Is it just youtube or is there scope for more as with the Panasonic?

del3917

Standard Member
The stand on the bottom of the rear speakers unscrews and fits onto the back of the speaker for mounting on a wall

ambridge

Standard Member
Can any body answer the question about assiging the optical input to the HDMI?
I have connected by Sky HD box by both HDMI and the optical connection - but the 5.1 only comes through when I select the input mode of Optical, but this is sound only and no picture. If I pick the input mode of HDMI then you only get sound in 2.1 and to get surround sound you need to use the Prologic II setting.
Is there any way of getting the 5.1 from the Sky HD box to work?
Hope that all makes sense - I'm a bit new to all of this:)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews

Latest News

What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 2nd December 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Klipsch announces four Cinema soundbars for UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Elipson adds Connect 250 streaming amp to Connected range
  • By Andy Bassett