LG GX (OLED65GX) 4K OLED TV Review & Comments

Yup. This is the killer feature for the CX. Near perfect motion in SDR is VERY hard to pass up IMO.

Of course for HDR, its kind of useless because we need every nit we can get but it makes SDR god-tier mode in regards to motion compared to every other modern TV on the market.
It's probably going to be fairly pointless for next gen consoles too since you can't do BFI and VRR at the same time, it's one or the other.

It's probably going to be fairly pointless for next gen consoles too since you can't do BFI and VRR at the same time, it's one or the other.

hopefully consoles will be hitting 60 FPS next gen so need for bfi for gaming

Yeah that’s my personal YouTube which is full of random experiments and nonsense.
Looking forward to your next gen HDR experiments !

Yeah that’s my personal YouTube which is full of random experiments and nonsense.
Hi. I remember you and David (lyris) from Bordersdown (ntsc-uk). Welcome.

Hmmm...

I had such high hopes for these 2020 models but sadly their feature-sets appear to have been crippled...

No on-board DTS decoding, currently no DTS-HD MA pass-through and now there are limitations to the HDMI 2.1 bandwidth, supposedly due to supporting the AI - but what specific features of the AI?

And I was so looking forward to buying my first OLED this year 😥

Don’t worry about the bandwidth, as mentioned in the video above...

Yes, it’s not a big deal. I may be looking for a new gaming display for the PS5 once I’ve relocated my gaming upstairs and I don’t want to lose that lovely contrast that oled gives you. I also think my C8 is plenty bright enough, at times it’s hurts my eyes so I don’t think I could stand anything ott in the nits dept. We shall see....
Another interesting nugge from that video of Vinny and Adam was that the banner popped up saying Vin is no longer calibrating. Possibly CV related but I don’t think so. It didn’t say it was a temporary thing.

Sweet feeling seeing all ye oled faithful trying to placate yourselves and justify throwing more money at LG....😆
Looks like Sammy is the way to go and I see some promotions on the sweet Q900ts already .... I'm gonna be washing down my full 48 Gbps bandwidth with a nice cold beverage! 😉

Last edited:
Hmmm...

I had such high hopes for these 2020 models but sadly their feature-sets appear to have been crippled...

No on-board DTS decoding, currently no DTS-HD MA pass-through and now there are limitations to the HDMI 2.1 bandwidth, supposedly due to supporting the AI - but what specific features of the AI?

And I was so looking forward to buying my first OLED this year 😥

Didn't put me off purchasing the CX the other day, even debated going C9, but I don't think either issue is that much of a big deal, will be updating from a B6.

Didn't put me off purchasing the CX the other day, even debated going C9, but I don't think either issue is that much of a big deal, will be updating from a B6.
People use their TV's in different ways...

What does a TV have to do now to get reference badge?

Have HDMI 2.1 full compatibility and above 1000 nits! :D

Last edited:
Please check the YT video featuring the Skype chat between Vincent and HDR expert @EvilBoris on this 40 Gbps scandal gate.

Verdict: Negligible

Enough said by experts, time to chin up, stop making a big fuss about it, and move on.

So much panicking from non owners who don't actually know how it will affect them. I bet my ps5 in 4k is going to look unreal on my 65CX.

The new Samsung game mode has been getting horrific reviews from its risen black levels and washed out colour

Sweet feeling seeing all ye oled faithful trying to placate yourselves and justify throwing more money at LG....😆
Looks like Sammy is the way to go and I see some promotions on the sweet Q900ts already .... I'm gonna be washing down my full 48 Gbps bandwidth with a nice cold beverage! 😉
i thought samsung is also capped at 40gbps for 2020 models?

Disappointing that the LG OLED hasn't moved on from last year, using the same panel and adding some trivial features for this year. Where as Samsung LCD like Q95T is better than Q90R which it replaces.

I wonder if anything new would be incorporated in next year's OLED Panels o_O

As one poster had mentioned in another thread; it's like buying another Ford car. :laugh:

Disappointing that the LG OLED hasn't moved on from last year, using the same panel and adding some trivial features for this year. Where as Samsung LCD like Q95T is better than Q90R which it replaces.

I wonder if anything new would be incorporated in next year's OLED Panels o_O

As one poster had mentioned in another thread; it's like buying another Ford car. :laugh:

Well not everyone agrees with that, the Forbes review for example uses word like 'significant improvement'

Each to their own of course, but as more and more reviews come out there does seem to be noticeable improvements being picked up

Whether that's worth the extra upgrade dosh is another matter

'Only' 660 nits...

Some people really need to stop getting hung up on numbers & just use their eyes.

The implication that this TV isn't bright enough is utterly ridiculous..

I very much agree and to use a little quote from 'The Abyss' " You have to look with better eyes than that." :)

I'm not totally sure about that... apparently Samsung has slashed the number of local dimming zones on the Q95T compared to last year's Q90R. They're really encouraging consumers who want a true premium Samsung product to purchase an 8K rather than 4K TV.

I wonder if anything new would be incorporated in next year's OLED Panels

Me too. Over at another forum, there was talk about a new WOLED stack, with wider colour gamut, in 2020 which obviously hasn't materialised. Cyonora, a company which develops OLED emitters and which LG and Samsung have both invested in, have launched a new more efficient blue emitter which might make it in 2021?

I'm not totally sure about that... apparently Samsung has slashed the number of local dimming zones on the Q95T compared to last year's Q90R. They're really encouraging consumers who want a true premium Samsung product to purchase an 8K rather than 4K TV.

Me too. Over at another forum, there was talk about a new WOLED stack, with wider colour gamut, in 2020 which obviously hasn't materialised. Cyonora, a company which develops OLED emitters and which LG and Samsung have both invested in, have launched a new more efficient blue emitter which might make it in 2021?

Regarding Q90T, if you read Steve's review, though they greatly reduced the amount of dimming zones, he concluded Samsung have increased its performance and effectiveness with those lower zones with sophisticated algorithm.

Steve replied to a question, if it's better than Q90R, he replied Q95T at least it matches Q90R.

lets hope LG implement these new WOLED stack that you mention and hope people can notice a difference in picture quality over the previous panels. What I love to see is a comparison between C9 Vs CX.

Last edited:
All this high end sets are really high end,problem is that we expect that every year they will stuf in mountins of new tech but that is imposible because this top end sets are already full packed with tech.

All this high end sets are really high end,problem is that we expect that every year they will stuf in mountins of new tech but that is imposible because this top end sets are already full packed with tech.

Personally I just expect a progression along the OLED roadmap LGD themselves have already set out (you can find it if you Google). We were supposed to get 200 nits of brightness by 2020 - I guess that's a full-field measure - with 300 nits plus after 2022.

Hopefully OLED TVs should become more affordable over time as LGD they have their Guangzhou plant coming online this year (economies of scale) and they're withdrawing from LCD production.

Personally I just expect a progression along the OLED roadmap LGD themselves have already set out (you can find it if you Google). We were supposed to get 200 nits of brightness by 2020 - I guess that's a full-field measure - with 300 nits plus after 2022.

Hopefully OLED TVs should become more affordable over time as LGD they have their Guangzhou plant coming online this year (economies of scale) and they're withdrawing from LCD production.
We will se if they can evolve panels further.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom