LG GX (OLED65GX) 4K OLED TV Review & Comments

anyone reckon it's abit of a concern that there is no ventilation behind the panel seeing as it's right up against the wall especially for the bigger sized GX?

The panel is thicker so I think it should be fine but good point.

would be interesting to know if the gx line has a custom cooling solution or not

That’s how it looks from the side abit off the wall. Took it in the store today. No vents.

Attachments

• 7324BB73-1FD5-4FA1-8349-10D072D37592.jpeg
    7324BB73-1FD5-4FA1-8349-10D072D37592.jpeg
    281.7 KB · Views: 594
  • AF2F0DFA-EA6F-4E3A-ACD8-693AA039DF09.jpeg
    AF2F0DFA-EA6F-4E3A-ACD8-693AA039DF09.jpeg
    223 KB · Views: 588
So I am moving house in the next 2 weeks, I currently have a pedastel mounted C6 Curve on a TV stand, the TV will be wall mounted in the new house on the chimney breast with the centre speaker, amp and XBox in a custom build within the unused fireplace.
I would prefer a flat screen instead of curved due to the mounting location in the room, the GX would look fantastic where it would be mounted due to how thin it is andthe closeness to the wall, the freeview issue has put me off slightly but I can overcome this by streaming UK catchup via the XBox (the wife will need additional training) and noted the previous comments in this thred ref the C9 instead, what's peoples thoughts on a C9 over the GX or another suitable upgrade for wall mounting.

Im extremely disappointed with LG’ s Oled peak brightness this year . Actually, it’s on C6 level more less visible worse than C9 or 8
Why? Burn in possibility, yes that’s true. I have C6 and I’m getting horrible burn in visible mostly with warm colors, red etc
I m huge fan of HDR but LG never again!
Waiting for Pana HZ 2000 with custom panel and more burn in resist as well as a top notch colors and hopefully 1000 nits hdr
Wish you all the best with your lg guys don’t get me wrong I’m just hugely annoyed with burn in from news Chanel’s even though I never ever had watched longer than 1 hour

Im extremely disappointed with LG’ s Oled peak brightness this year . Actually, it’s on C6 level more less visible worse than C9 or 8
Why? Burn in possibility, yes that’s true. I have C6 and I’m getting horrible burn in visible mostly with warm colors, red etc
Waiting for Pana HZ 2000 with custom panel and more burn in resist as well as a top notch colors and hopefully 1000 nits hdr
Wish you all the best with your lg guys don’t get me wrong I’m just hugely annoyed with burn in from news Chanel’s even though I never ever had watched longer than 1 hour

So you have owned a CX/GX?

Interesting. I have not used the C6, but I come to the GX from an E6 and could not be happier. The GX is HUGELY better than the E6.

Will I get burn in? Maybe. Will any OLED get it? Maybe.

However, enjoy your new set!

Hi there
I just wanted to say that I hoped for much more nits from cx/gx etc but numbers don’t lie. I’m thinking of getting a new one after my C6 which has horribly visible burn in mostly warm colors. The news channel are the reason I know but then again Ive watched that up to one hour only. I can see your point guys because last year etc I was also writing in here that “Mine is fine no burn in...” until now. Once it ages it gets burn in easier. End of story at least in my opinion. So, I gave up with lg Sony philips etc Oled and waiting for a new Panasonic 2000 hz
Anyway
Enjoy yours

Hi there
I just wanted to say that I hoped for much more nits from cx/gx etc but numbers don’t lie. I’m thinking of getting a new one after my C6 which has horribly visible burn in mostly warm colors. The news channel are the reason I know but then again Ive watched that up to one hour only. I can see your point guys because last year etc I was also writing in here that “Mine is fine no burn in...” until now. Once it ages it gets burn in easier. End of story at least in my opinion. So, I gave up with lg Sony philips etc Oled and waiting for a new Panasonic 2000 hz
Anyway
Enjoy yours

Did you own a CX/GX then to get these comparisons to your C6, the series 10 is a lot brighter, pretty similar to C9, brighter in some cases, panel variation and all that.

In any case I'm sure the Panny is a great TV as well.

Unfortunately you’re not right my friend above. Every single review says clearly that if you are hdr freak go for C9 instead. Hd....test/ flatpane... / and obviously here in my best place. There is panel variation surely but c’mon .
ok I’m done don’t get me wrong if you want nice looking tv on the wall go for a gx but if you want bit more brightness go for C9 instead .

Unfortunately you’re not right my friend above. Every single review says clearly that if you are hdr freak go for C9 instead. Hd....test/ flatpane... / and obviously here in my best place. There is panel variation surely but c’mon .
ok I’m done don’t get me wrong if you want nice looking tv on the wall go for a gx but if you want bit more brightness go for C9 instead .

Panel variation is a thing, and most reviewers have mentioned it being a thing.

On other forums, people have mentioned the nits coming from their CX/GX and said its higher than what the reviewers have mentioned.

Vincent's recent review/comparison of a CX/GX was also brighter than the one he reviewed initially. Look through his latest videos and he has a different CX/GX that looks brighter than the TV he is comparing it to.

_________

Anyway, if you want a higher nit OLED, wait until next year as the panel will change then in the LG roadmap. Its reportedly going to be 33% brighter than the C9/CX. Or you can wait until 2022 and on their roadmap, I believe they are targeting 300 nits on which would be 100% brighter than the C9/CX.

Or if nits are very important to you, get a QLED.

I'd be more concerned if I were you with buying an OLED that is covered for burn in, since you've already been burnt once. Even a 33% increase in nits is not going to be life changing next year IMO.

All this talk about nits. I have a B8 OLED and it is more than bright enough. If I was buying a modern TV for the first time I may well be put off OLED with all the comments I have read. Maybe nits is more important for gaming (I don't game), but for general TV content the brightness is certainly not an issue.

I may not be right, but you still haven't confirmed if you have owned a CX/GX to make these comparisons with you C6.

Loved the review Steve.
Have you any experience with the matching optional GX soundbar?
If so how did it sound and how did it look ?

I may not be right, but you still haven't confirmed if you have owned a CX/GX to make these comparisons with you C6.

Come on, you already know the answer to this question ;)

Am I the only person in the world who finds the GX a bit ugly?

Although the fat bump the CX is not exactly sexy, that razer thin panel really is.

In our small lounge, we've just made a whole in the wall to fit in the girthy bit so all you see is the razer thin OLED screen which I think looks infinitely better than the GX.

But then again, I guess thats quite a bit of work, mess and handywork. (costs less than £1000 tho)

Last edited:
Come on, you already know the answer to this question ;)

Am I the only person in the world who finds the GX a bit ugly?

Although the fat bump the CX is not exactly sexy, that razer thin panel really is.

In our small lounge, we've just made a whole in the wall to fit in the girthy bit so all you see is the razer thin OLED screen which I think looks infinitely better than the GX.

But then again, I guess thats quite a bit of work, mess and handywork. (costs less than £1000 tho)

Would you mind pinning a photo sir?

I’m contemplating the same. Alas it’s an old flat, so instead of simply chopping out a relevant sized piece of plaster and the d&b board, it’s a filthy job of grinding through old plaster, bits of concrete and god knows what else.

But I think the prettiness will be worth it.

Thanks Steve, returned my Samsung Q95T today due to the eARC issue, and got the LG GX. O.M.G it is a superior product in every way, from the customer service video call to go through some questions, to testing out with the Sonos Arc - just amazing. Picture is better, sound is amazing. Very Happy. Apple TV even showing movies in Dolby Atmos now and Dolby Vision.

Thanks Steve, returned my Samsung Q95T today due to the eARC issue, and got the LG GX. O.M.G it is a superior product in every way, from the customer service video call to go through some questions, to testing out with the Sonos Arc - just amazing. Picture is better, sound is amazing. Very Happy. Apple TV even showing movies in Dolby Atmos now and Dolby Vision.

I did exactly the same thing. I had a Samsung 65 Q95t for a week or so and wasn’t happy with it at all and I’ve always brought Samsung TVs in the past. My Q95t had vertical banding issues as well. I had it replaced and went for the LG GX and it’s so much better in terms of picture quality.

I believe the 65GX has holes for using a traditional wall mount, as opposed to the LG supplied one.

I have an existing wall mount which I want to re use.
The CX model seems to have its VESA mounting holes lower down the TV and not centralised.

I was therefore wondering if the GX has VESA mounting holes, where they are positioned ?

I believe the 65GX has holes for using a traditional wall mount, as opposed to the LG supplied one.

I have an existing wall mount which I want to re use.
The CX model seems to have its VESA mounting holes lower down the TV and not centralised.

I was therefore wondering if the GX has VESA mounting holes, where they are positioned ?

I've highlighted the vesa holes for you, I believe they are 400 x 400

gx65vesa.jpg

Thanks @jakey
Thanks for taking the time to do that. That is very helpful.
They seem to be in the right place ie more centralised.

Now is that worth £400 more than a CX !!!

One more question, how far up from the bottom edge of the are the lower VESA holes ?
I can't quite tell from the diagram.

On the 65CX, they are 14cm. On the 65GX, I would expect them to be higher

@Steve Withers , thanks for the great review. I have a question though. Currently I have an Philips 803 OLED, though due a defect I can return it after almost two years, so I am in the market for a new 65 inch OLED.

In de last couple of years I got used to the motion quality of the Philips, I don’t really know if that is deemed good, but that at least is my benchmark. How would you say the LG compares to the Philips on that aspect? Would I maybe be better off with a Sony A8 or are all of them more or less comparable when it comes down to motion interpolation and BFI?

Thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom