LG GGW-H20L Blu-Ray Writer / HD-DVD Reader Drive?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by alienandy, Jan 11, 2008.

1. alienandy

alienandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I am thinking of purchasing one of these drives ( LG GGW-H20L Blu-Ray Writer / HD-DVD Reader Drive ) to put into my HTPC. I have a couple of questions on this mind, if anyone can help?

1. I don't suppose that this will be compatible with MCE2005? So would I have to run some other software to play the disks?
    2. My HTPC is currently connected to my Samsung HD LCD-TV through the PC Connection. Having the above I would really need to install a gfx card with a HDMI Out on it don't I? Can anyone suggest an appropriate card?
    PCI-Express ONLY.

I am basically in two minds with this. Either I do the above or I purchase a standalone Player. I think the above would be better. Especially as I would be able to not only play BOTH blu-ray and HD-DVD disks, but I would be able to burn blu-ray disks too!

Comments welcome.

Oh yes, here's a link to the Drive I am thinking about having....
    http://svp.co.uk/product/lg_ggwh20l_blu_ray_writer_hd_dvd_reader_drive_44089

2. Wonka

Wonka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I believe the retail box comes with PowerDVD which will allow you to watch HD-DVD & BluRay disks.

XP will need a UDF2.5 update to correctly read the new file formats

Is your PC to TV connection DVI ? I'd recommend getting an ATI 2600XT, it supports HDCP and you can run a DVI to HDMI from that to your TV. The ATI also does hardware decoding of the HD formats, sparing your CPU !!!

go for it :thumbsup:

3. alienandy

alienandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5

Thanks for that Wonka. Sounds like you have this yourself?
    My cpu on the htpc is an AMD 64 3000+. Not Dual Core. I'll take a guess that this will not be powerful enough for this to work?
    PC's, always cost me money!!
    :mad: