LG G2 OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Which firmware is your series X running? Curious that you’re not having the issue, I wonder which setting we don’t have in common.

Latest version I believe mate. Are you both using PC mode for Xbox under input on the G2 so you get 4:4:4 chroma? I use PC mode and rename for Xbox.

Last edited:
Latest version I believe mate. Are you both using PC mode for Xbox under input on the G2 so you get 4:4:4 chroma? I use PC mode and rename for Xbox.
What’s the difference between using pc mode and games console if you have a ps5 connected?

Ah. Haven’t tried that. How do you change it?
Go to inputs, top right click edit and then change the source input to PC.

What’s the difference between using pc mode and games console if you have a ps5 connected?

Not sure for PS5, I know last time I read it was best left as is, not sure if that's Changed now.

Go to inputs, top right click edit and then change the source input to PC.

I have changed it. It didn’t make a difference.

I have found a work around though which works with input as PC or games console.

Select the game.
No signal input appears.
Press Xbox button on controller then A. Takes you back to Xbox home.

Then press B which takes you back to previous screen, I.e the game. And it displays.

Not ideal. But it is a work around.

Had 2x E7 + 1x G1, and the E7's were not great, first had poor banding, and second had better banding but much worse pink tint. The G1 had good banding, except the regular band 2/3 from the left, plus general (light) banding in the other areas.
For the G2, there is a <5% cloud "patch" on the LHS that is only visible on slides, and no tint.

For me the G2 is clearly by far the best of the bunch. I may have been unlucky before, but the difference is quite clear and with the extra brightness, a major improvement.

You are lucky, there are lots of good options today, happy hunting :)

Thanks

I have a 1.2m cable going from the TV to the soundbar (just underneath the TV, wall mounted) and it just reaches. Tried a 1m cable and it wasn’t long enough.
excellent - thanks for that

excellent - thanks for that
I found the 1.2m cable supplied with my B&O Stage to be 30cm too short to reach the ARC input on my 77G2 via the cable channels when exiting at the centre of the lower edge. I've just ordered a 1.8m cable instead.

Edit: My cable just arrived, and 1.8m seems just right.

Last edited:
On the subject of cables. I bought these not insanely priced fibre optic 5 metre ones for the long run I needed to get from the TV to where the Sky box and Apple TV are. I am very happy with them, the cables are very thin and very flexible and have worked perfectly with the Apple TV, which I have found to be very cable fussy in the past. Note thought I haven't tested them with anything nominally requiring HDMI 2.1 though.

Amazon product ASIN B09L142L4T

On the subject of cables. I bought these not insanely priced fibre optic 5 metre ones for the long run I needed to get from the TV to where the Sky box and Apple TV are. I am very happy with them, the cables are very thin and very flexible and have worked perfectly with the Apple TV, which I have found to be very cable fussy in the past. Note thought I haven't tested them with anything nominally requiring HDMI 2.1 though.

I use a bunch of there ones. They all work fine, even 15m one between a RTX 3090 GPU and the G2. 3090 can pump out 12bit 4:4:4, 4k @ 120hz so does give it a good test and work fine.

Only issue I found was setting it up as a eARC connection. So from the TV to my AVR, as you need to specify the source and device with that cable. May have just been my setup, but that did not work, but a normal HDMI cable does fine there as its just Audio.

I’m using four of those in 15m lengths and they work perfectly for 2.1 and eARC between my Arcam AV40 and G2 👍

Only issue I found was setting it up as a eARC connection. So from the TV to my AVR, as you need to specify the source and device with that cable. May have just been my setup, but that did not work, but a normal HDMI cable does fine there as its just Audio.

I wonder if the fact they are uni-directional means they aren't suitable for eARC? I think perhaps you need to be able to transfer data in both directions for eARC. Just a guess. Or possibly if uni-direction cable is fine for eARC, you just had it the wrong way round ;)

EDIT; hadn't seen the post above saying they work for eARC above when I wrote that.

They contain a thin copper wire alongside the optical portion for eARC duties. That’s more fragile than the optical portion, but at least we have the option.

They contain a thin copper wire alongside the optical portion for eARC duties. That’s more fragile than the optical portion, but at least we have the option.

Thanks for confirming. May have busted mine. Not a big issue fortunately as just used a standard HDMI cable between the TV and AVR in the end which carries the audio fine.

In case anybody was wondering about the optional stand, and where to get it, I spoke to Matthew on LG Electronics live chat and this is what he said:

Did anyone get the stand? My TV finally arrived today and now LG are telling me it's not something they supply for free.

Did anyone get the stand? My TV finally arrived today and now LG are telling me it's not something they supply for free.
Yeah the G series stands have never been free. The new G2 stand is not out yet here I dont think.

I literally have it in writing from LG customer support that it would be free.

Just had my cashback approved for £300 for the G2. I applied on 20th June, so really quick turnaround! They've just asked me to confirm my address and name.

so much for the early bird

Just had my cashback approved for £300 for the G2. I applied on 20th June, so really quick turnaround! They've just asked me to confirm my address and name.

Very nice. Did you buy yours direct or via insiders? Was former if I recall? By the way, how did you get on vs the Samsung, sounds like you kept the LG?

Sadly I paid on 12th so out by a day and not heard a response :rotfl:

Very nice. Did you buy yours direct or via insiders? Was former if I recall? By the way, how did you get on vs the Samsung, sounds like you kept the LG?

Sadly I paid on 12th so out by a day and not heard a response :rotfl:

I bought the TV from Currys bud. Kept the G2 and glad I did! Also grabbed a 42" C2 for the office, you can definitely tell the G2 has a decent brightness gain.

If anyone is successful with insiders LG cash back I’d love to know 👍

I bought the TV from Currys bud. Kept the G2 and glad I did! Also grabbed a 42" C2 for the office, you can definitely tell the G2 has a decent brightness gain.

Nice thanks for confirming. Yeah similar, got 42" C2 and the 77" G2. A step up when flicking back and forth between the two which is noticeable this gen. I suppose may be less of a gap with 55" C2 and above though which do get slightly brighter then the 42" and 48" C2. Also the TPC I am seeing is much less aggressive then on the C2 which is amusing as I use the C2 with more static content :rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom