LG G2 65 inch OLED TV Video Review

Yes because you are using a HDMI Source, but many are using TV Native Apps. It’s a disaster

Ok, maybe as an alternative you have LGs quick access hotkeys you can program, think its 8 max you can assign, you can add apps and sources so you long press 1-8 to access them.

This way I avoid going through web os or home, just long press 2 to access say Youtube.

@Phil Hinton very interested to learn more about the below from Andy's 4th January news article about the 2022 LG TV lineup:

"Another new feature (due later in 2022 via a firmware upgrade) is Room to Room Share which enables the viewing of cable or satellite content on another TV via Wi-Fi without an additional set-top-box."

Hopefully this will be part of your long term testing. Really keen to see how this works in reality - what formats are supported (up to 1080p HD or full 4K/HDR/Atmos), how this works while the TV is in operation or not, whether there are any CEC type controls available from one TV to the next. One thing LG has consistently failed with is it's native sports apps. The Now app doesn't support 50fps unlike on Sony & Samsung and there is still no BT Sport app. Being able to hook up one satellite box, Apple TV or firestick and use it on any other supported TV sounds a winner to me rather than having multiple external devices on each TV.

Aside from that, enjoyed the video review. Looks a fantastic TV and will potentially be my B6 replacement once price come down a bit.
I think you're going to be disappointed it only applies to the on-board sat and cable tuners so nothing major I had a Panasonic dx802 that would let me access the sat tuner over dlna, this is just a bit more fancy.

Agreed. My point was entirely that I will need to make a choice between G1 and G2 in about a months time, and the massive price difference between the two of them makes it very tricky to go with the G2.

It isn't all champagne and roses though, they've removed 120hz BFI, which is such a shame because you're talking CRT motion at high framerates, with no drawbacks....granted not everyone uses it, and that's generally because they don't understand it and when to use it, but why they'd remove it is beyond me.

The LG G2 pushes OLED technology ahead for another year with new video processing, heat dissipation technology and new OLED panel materials to drive up the nits, while producing some of the best HDR images the company has ever managed on a consumer TV. So is it the TV to beat in 2022? Let's find out in our video review...

The written review will follow soon...

Thank you for this complete and great review.
Just wondering why, in 25% Windows, the peak luminance of the G2 is measured less than the G1 which is also less than the C1?
g2.jpg

G1.jpg

C1.jpg

A90j.jpg

I think you're going to be disappointed it only applies to the on-board sat and cable tuners so nothing major I had a Panasonic dx802 that would let me access the sat tuner over dlna, this is just a bit more fancy.

That would be a bit disappointing, yes, though might mean not having to wire in coaxial cable for the rarest of times where I watch Freeview.

On the LG newsroom website it said:
5 Room To Room Share available via firmware upgrade in first half of 2022. Supports content from set-top boxes and terrestrial broadcasts only.

I took from set-top boxes that it meant Sky/Virgin/BTTV/Enigma 2/Apple TV and figured that should apply for any HDMI input. Wouldn't be the first time a press release was not clear.

Thank you for this complete and great review.
Just wondering why, in 25% Windows, the peak luminance of the G2 is measured less than the G1 which is also less than the C1?
View attachment 1680966
View attachment 1680967
View attachment 1680968
View attachment 1680975
It's probably an effect of them changing the processing algorithm which is part of the Evo tech they talk about. Plus, measurements do vary and we take them in a continuously expanding pattern that runs a couple of seconds for each window, the Calman default to taking the measurements.

Snow scenes while watching winter sports I find very poor on a OLED.

Snow scenes while watching winter sports I find very poor on a OLED.
Hoth scenes in ESB always my benchmark for that - fortunately fine on mine

Hoth scenes in ESB always my benchmark for that - fortunately fine on mine
Yeah maybe, but I have another tv to compare the difference against and you just don't get the same crisp whites and white pop. Just a fact was a let down watching the skiing.

Yeah maybe, but I have another tv to compare the difference against and you just don't get the same crisp whites and white pop. Just a fact was a let down watching the skiing.

So do I

Are 'other' stands an option..?

Images in use with my 65 C1;

Yeah he mentions it 3.52 into the video, slight pink tint or hue at an angle.

Its there on many C2 screens also, I get a pink tint or pink hue on the right hand side but its only seen during almost almost full white scenes or white backgrounds and at an angle, agree with phil its not really a deal breaker and its still a lot more better then any other panel out there.
I have three 55inch G2's and ALL three have a magenta, pink tint on the very bottom when sitting face on, its about an inch all across the bottom part of the panel horizontally and is slightly worse to the right than left, I am waiting for a few more auto pixel refreshes to see if it clears, else will be phoning LG as Richer sounds at this stage will only offer a refund and since I had three all with the same issue its assumed its part of the technology (which imo does not reflect the price tag - why should we have to put up with such pink tinting issues for the premo price ?)I had the G1 as well and at a very far angle - yes pink tint - but never noticed it straight on - with the G2 its visiable in grey/snowy content sitting straight on, if you look down on the panel then it goes away but my TV is not on the floor - its on the wall at eye level when sitting on sofa!

I have three 55inch G2's and ALL three have a magenta, pink tint on the very bottom when sitting face on, its about an inch all across the bottom part of the panel horizontally and is slightly worse to the right than left, I am waiting for a few more auto pixel refreshes to see if it clears, else will be phoning LG as Richer sounds at this stage will only offer a refund and since I had three all with the same issue its assumed its part of the technology (which imo does not reflect the price tag - why should we have to put up with such pink tinting issues for the premo price ?)I had the G1 as well and at a very far angle - yes pink tint - but never noticed it straight on - with the G2 its visiable in grey/snowy content sitting straight on, if you look down on the panel then it goes away but my TV is not on the floor - its on the wall at eye level when sitting on sofa!

Yeah sadly one of those things with OLEDs. Some can get along with it but others just can't.

On my 42" C2, I don't think I have ever seen the blue or pink tints during media watching, it might just be I am not seeing it at that angle or head on or just the scenes in the content not seen it yet.

Yeah sadly one of those things with OLEDs. Some can get along with it but others just can't.

On my 42" C2, I don't think I have ever seen the blue or pink tints during media watching, it might just be I am not seeing it at that angle or head on or just the scenes in the content not seen it yet.
Do you have the wbe panel ? I think the 1st lot of 42's were shipped with wbc panels, and only started using wbe 2nd half this year

Do you have the wbe panel ? I think the 1st lot of 42's were shipped with wbc panels, and only started using wbe 2nd half this year

Not entirely true - the initial 42 and 48" were a mix. My 42 is WBE - I can see a pink tint if I go to an extreme angle, but not in regular viewing

Thank you, guess I will be phoning LG today lol
I have attached some pics, it's worse to the naked eye than the pics, but would be great to have some opinions on this, black and white is the worse which I will an image of post later on

Attachments

• 20221017_220031.jpg
    20221017_220031.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 20221017_220029.jpg
    20221017_220029.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 80
  • 20221017_220034.jpg
    20221017_220034.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 20221017_220027.jpg
    20221017_220027.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 71
Right some information I gained via LG tech team, apparently LG are working on a software fix for the pink tint issue, they are inundated with calls at the moment all relating to pink tint issues and LG will not troubleshoot until they have released a software fix for this (how software can fix what looks very much a hardware issue is beyond me..but lets see)

Last edited:
Right some information I gained via LG tech team, apparently LG are working on a software fix for the pink tint issue, they are inundated with calls at the moment all relating to pink tint issues and LG will not troubleshoot until they have released a software fix for this (how software can fix what looks very much a hardware issue is beyond me..but lets see)

Did you hear anything further about this?

Really don't see how a software update can fix this myself...

Does anyone know how much space there is between the G2 and a unit when the stand is fitted? I’m moving in with my partner shortly and I will have to use the stand vs a wall mount. I would like to fit a Soundbar below the tv if possible. I think something like the Sennheiser Ambeo Plus is too high.

Based on the stands that have come with all the LG TV’s I’ve ever owned, it won’t be high enough.

Look at a third party stand (I have the Bontec from Amazon for my smaller TV) or putting a shelf underneath it to lift it up (IKEA Lack is perfect, and the soundbar will hide it - I have this with my larger TV and Sonos Arc)

Based on the stands that have come with all the LG TV’s I’ve ever owned, it won’t be high enough.

Look at a third party stand (I have the Bontec from Amazon for my smaller TV) or putting a shelf underneath it to lift it up (IKEA Lack is perfect, and the soundbar will hide it - I have this with my larger TV and Sonos Arc)
There appear to be two IKEA Lack’s.

Do you have the smaller one? Seems like a near solution to the height issue.

LACK black-brown, Wall shelf, 30x26 cm - IKEA

Is pink tint still an issue ? Has a FW update resolved it? Is affecting some or all sets ?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom