LG G1 turned itself off, clicking in top right

Gmeurs

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I purchased an LG G1 last week and have been loving the set, however this morning it randomly completely shut down and started clicking (high click, low click) in the top right of the panel, my immediate thought is a power supply fault, would I be right in thinking this?

It's very disappointing having it happen to such a new set, the TV is cold to the touch so I immediately ruled out a heat issue.

Disconnect any equipment from it then try unplugging/switching off at the power socket, leave it for 10-15 mins then power it on again.
If still no go report it as faulty to wherever you bought it from.

Hi all,

I purchased an LG G1 last week and have been loving the set, however this morning it randomly completely shut down and started clicking (high click, low click) in the top right of the panel, my immediate thought is a power supply fault, would I be right in thinking this?

It's very disappointing having it happen to such a new set, the TV is cold to the touch so I immediately ruled out a heat issue.

My LG CX started to click few months after owning it but bottom left corner with a high and then lower click also well it got random clicking towards the end, I suspected a faulty mainboard so did tech support. Yours could be the power board or mainboard or something else.

Its an common fault have long suspected LG don't have the best QC or use the better quality parts, certainly try the sound advice above first but if its still there the clicking, contact your retailer about the fault and go from there.

I just had this same issue with my G1.

I have an engineer getting in touch for a home visit next week.

It's a shame as it's a fabulous TV.

I was in the process of configuring a new PS5, setting up the HDR when it happened. Naturally I assumed the PS5 but as the other poster says it's a common issue.

My clicking is coming from the top right of the panel and it happens every 15seconds or so. The red light flashes.

Oddly my Router reset to default settings at the same time so I suspect a power surge.

Did you get it sorted?

Cheers

I just had this same issue with my G1.

I have an engineer getting in touch for a home visit next week.

It's a shame as it's a fabulous TV.

I was in the process of configuring a new PS5, setting up the HDR when it happened. Naturally I assumed the PS5 but as the other poster says it's a common issue.

My clicking is coming from the top right of the panel and it happens every 15seconds or so. The red light flashes.

Oddly my Router reset to default settings at the same time so I suspect a power surge.

Did you get it sorted?

Cheers

Not myself no, Lg took 8 weeks to sort my issue but had no engineers available so wrote it off. I have suspected for a long time LG does not use the best quality mainboards or power boards or components on them for many years.

Are your hdmi ports on the top right hand side of the panel? mine came from behind the hdmi ports the clicking.

Either way its not a serious issue, an engineer should be able to replace the mainboard or power board and fix the issue within an hour.

Not myself no, Lg took 8 weeks to sort my issue but had no engineers available so wrote it off. I have suspected for a long time LG does not use the best quality mainboards or power boards or components on them for many years.

Are your hdmi ports on the top right hand side of the panel? mine came from behind the hdmi ports the clicking.

Either way its not a serious issue, an engineer should be able to replace the mainboard or power board and fix the issue within an hour.
Hi.
The HDMI ports are quite central but on the left on the LG as you face the TV.

The clicking is coming from the right hand side and this is where the power cable enters the unit so perhaps the power board.

I'll report back once the unit has been fixed to confirm.

Cheers

Hi.
The HDMI ports are quite central but on the left on the LG as you face the TV.

The clicking is coming from the right hand side and this is where the power cable enters the unit so perhaps the power board.

I'll report back once the unit has been fixed to confirm.

Cheers

ahh yeah sounds like a bad power board, good luck

Engineer visited yesterday with a new Motherboard. He says the power boards don't tend to go any more - that was a few years ago.
He says he's confident it is the screen itself so he took it away to fix.
With bank holiday weekend coming up - that's another week without 120hz gaming.
First world problems I guess 😥

Took a picture anyway.
Couldn't see any popped capacitors on the power board (nearest camera).
The black empty area to the left with the disconnected ribbon cables was where the main board was that was replaced.
Not much to it really.

Attachments

• 20220412_103608.jpg
    20220412_103608.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 115
Engineer visited yesterday with a new Motherboard. He says the power boards don't tend to go any more - that was a few years ago.
He says he's confident it is the screen itself so he took it away to fix.
With bank holiday weekend coming up - that's another week without 120hz gaming.
First world problems I guess 😥

Sucks for sure, but at least he is doing whatever he can to fix it. Did he try the mainboard and then say its still the screen that is to blame?

New screens don't take long about 20 minutes to replace, so hopefully not a long wait for you.

Yes that's right he was pretty confident it was the screen.

Absolutely can't fault the guy but another week should be OK.

Cheers for the support 😉

hi folks, this thread was super helpful so i thought i'd do my part and contribute. had the same exact issue right outside of the warranty. local repair shops were charging $500 just to show up and take a look. The clicking sound suggested a mechanical relay which was almost certainly associated with the power board. LG support pointed me to a $300 part but I found some OEM part sellers and got the part for $65. Worked like a charm, 5 minute fix.

The board looks different from OEM (OEM is white, branded and a lot cleaner looking) but the replacement board works perfectly. Good luck if you run into the issue! A lot faster/cheaper/easier to DIY this if you are comfortable taking the set apart. Use these instructions

I have the exact same issue with my LG G1- clicking on the top right side of screen with no picture. Where did you find the $65 part? I was going to attempt to replace the capacitors but now I’m thinking it might be the whole power board

I am in the process of diagnosing and fixing this issue myself on a 55" G1. I have already tried replacing the power board with no luck. I am not sourcing the main board and will try replacing that. I have come across some forums saying its actually a fault in the panel causing the TV to continuously power because a signal isn't being sent to the panel. I'm hoping its the main board. The part was around $100 with shipping. I've already had this panel replaced under warranty and doubt they will do so again.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom