LG G1 (OLED65G1) OLED Evo TV Review & Comments

Ok, so im i a little concerned here about DTS. does this mean that any DTS source won't output ANY sound? What about Plex content that is DTS?
if you have an AV Receiver or sound bar no issues

What the LG lacks compared to other Brands :

• Detail in the Picture
  • Near Black details

if you have an AV Receiver or sound bar no issues
I use a Denon 6400h. Will the TV passthrough the DTS without transcoding on the server? If anybody can actually test this if it works in real situations would be great.

I use a Denon 6400h. Will the TV passthrough the DTS without transcoding on the server? If anybody can actually test this if it works in real situations would be great.
Connect all sources to your AV Receiver then AV Receiver to your TV via eARC and you sorted you will hve DTS sound from those sources (like Bluray player)

Hey everyone. Yesterday I purchased my G1 and have only just got round to playing with it after mounting it yesterday. Whilst inspecting it I noticed this very straight 'crack' just above the IR receiver. I'm convinced it isn't normal, could someone clarify this for me?

Attachments

• 20211115_181144.jpg
    20211115_181144.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 363
Hey everyone. Yesterday I purchased my G1 and have only just got round to playing with it after mounting it yesterday. Whilst inspecting it I noticed this very straight 'crack' just above the IR receiver. I'm convinced it isn't normal, could someone clarify this for me?
That doesn't look fine for me

Connect all sources to your AV Receiver then AV Receiver to your TV via eARC and you sorted you will hve DTS sound from those sources (like Bluray player)

Have a Denon 6400 with a 77 G1, and as cecemf says, the only way you can properly get DTS passthrough from a source, is to take the TV out of the equation except as an end point for the video.
Obviously sources such as a Series X or PS5 need to go direct to the TV and rely on Multi-channel PCM via eARC which you need to dance through hoops for to begin with as the older Denon AVs and LG don't play nice. Otherwise you're stuck with plain old DD.
But any source such as Blu-ray, Shield etc need to go to the AVR direct. But that's the way it should be anyway IMO

Bit annoying, the lack of DTS support, but can be worked around. Certainly more palatable than yet another expensive trade in equipment.

Hi, It's the same on my 1-month-old 55" G1, so yes it's normal :)

I thought I inspected my new toys with a keen eye!

Sit back and enjoy!
PXL_20211118_201944494.jpg

This has been discussed before...its normal, I have it on my 65G1, everyone has this if you look close up. Don't worry, enjoy!

Hi all, I have a G1 bring delivered and installed next week so I'm very excited of course.

I came here for a little advice please on the rest of my setup though, as I'm looking to replace and old Onkyo receiver that is starting to give up and is not 4k compatible. I've been searching online for guides on how to create an "perfect" AV/wiring setup but I've not come across any helpful articles.

So I have an idea of what an ideal setup for me would be, but I'm not sure it is possible.

What I would like to do is have the TV wall mounted (of course) with only a single HDMI running down to a new receiver, which handles all audio and video streams from other sources (series X, satellite, maybe other audio only sources like a record player/pre amp). I would also like to have the receiver hidden inside a cabinet because my fiancee thinks they are ugly.

So my idea is that I can manage this via eARC and HDMI CEC, using a single remote most of the time hence keeping the receiver hidden. I think I can have the TV remote control volume on the receiver using CEC and return any audio from apps to it over eARC. All other sources then go directly in to the receiver with all video streams passed through to the TV without modification and retaining HDR etc. I think then in the worst case I only need to open the cabinet to swap sources, which won't be too often.

Is all of this possible or just a pipe dream? Will an entry level receiver support this or do I need something more mid range? I like the low profile of the Sony DH-790 but I'm unsure if it has the tech necessary.

Additionally, I would like to gradually move to a 5.1.2 setup but at first use my existing stereo speakers with perhaps a new sub to start with 2.1. Does that sound reasonable?

Would anyone have reccomendations for the best way to approach this? Purchases in order of priority would be:
Receiver, sub, surrounded speakers, floor stands for fronts. Thanks all.

(Edited for clarity)

Last edited:
Hi guys, can you show me a site or a post where you can have the best settings for my new LG G1 TV.

Thank you

Mod edit: please post in English

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the LG G1 have a plastic film on the back that you need to peel off, like the CX/C1? Only asking as it’ll be getting wall mounted straight out of the box and I’m not going to get chance to check this.

Also, with the included flush mount are there any quirks that a new owner needs to be aware of?

Such as any difficulties with moving the TV towards and away from the wall with ease - just in case cables need switching or the TV needs to be taken down.

Does the LG G1 have a plastic film on the back that you need to peel off, like the CX/C1? Only asking as it’ll be getting wall mounted straight out of the box and I’m not going to get chance to check this.

Also, with the included flush mount are there any quirks that a new owner needs to be aware of?

Such as any difficulties with moving the TV towards and away from the wall with ease - just in case cables need switching or the TV needs to be taken down[/QUOTE

No, just the protective film on the screen.

Last edited:

Such as any difficulties with moving the TV towards and away from the wall with ease - just in case cables need switching or the TV needs to be taken down.
I didn't have any plastic film on the back of my 55" G1.

The TV has a cover which is like 2 sides stuck together. That padded type plastic on the front, and thin plastic on the back. The thin plastic rips off the padded part easy while it's face down to get the cables attached.

I've not tried pulling my TV out again after mounting it. My wall mount arms did feel quite stiff, I was a bit worried about pushing it flush against the wall by the TV edges for fear of it bending the TV, but it was fine.

Hello can anyone tell me the length and type of power cable supplied with the G1? I'm in the EU (Denmark) and want to buy a longer cable if needed because of the TV placement before it arrives.

Hello can anyone tell me the length and type of power cable supplied with the G1? I'm in the EU (Denmark) and want to buy a longer cable if needed because of the TV placement before it arrives.
The cable is hard wired in, so you can’t replace it.

It’s about 150cm though I think.

Absolutely ridiculous decision by LG not to make the power cable detachable.
Totally agree. I ended up cutting my cable to thread through a wall. This is where Samsung is streets ahead with the single cable control box setup.

Totally agree. I ended up cutting my cable to thread through a wall. This is where Samsung is streets ahead with the single cable control box setup.
They must expect you to chase the plug through the wall as well!

Can anyone tell me what size drill bit is required for the supplied plugs please? There’s no mention in the manual 😒 I’m guessing 7mm?…

Edit, just googled and it’s 8mm for anyone else wondering.

Last edited:
Anybody have a way to solve the NON-DTS sound problem with MKV demo files?
The programs to convert them to AC3 sound are too dear, and you have to be a programming genious to figure out how to use the converter program.

Anyone aware of any discount codes available for this TV?
Cheers.
Your best bet is to subscribe to the OLED Bargains Thread here at AVF and also set an alert up on HUKD. If you want the flexibility of price-matching upto a month after purchase then John Lewis do provide that luxury.

The 65 LG G1 was as low as £1763 last week when LG were running a 10% off promotion across most retailers. Richer Sounds and John Lewis do price-match most places too provided they have similar warranty and stock.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom