LG G1 55” vs. LG C1 65” vs. Panasonic TX65JZ980 vs. Philips 65OLED806/706 - Help please

NatureFriends

Novice Member
Hello all.

As the title says, the options are LG G1 55” vs. LG C1 65” vs. Panasonic TX65JZ980 vs. Philips 65OLED806/706.

This is mostly an upgrade over a 55” but the reason I listed the LG G1 55” was because of the panel it uses and maybe the quality of panel can make up for the size being the same, but if the quality of the LG G1 picture quality in 55” is exaggerated then I would primarily be looking for a 65” option.

I am looking for a TV primarily for watching mostly 4K HDR/Dolby Vision Blu-Rays and streaming on the likes of Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Apple TV and BBC iPlayer with the occasional program in standard HD.

I also really enjoy watching wildlife documentaries, including in 4K HDR, whenever they are released and classics and recents like Blue Planet II, A Perfect Planet and Seven Worlds, One Planet. Therefore, it is vital the picture comes off as natural but also very sharp and detailed with a good amount of brightness.

I should also note that I currently sit about 9’11” away from the TV and it would continue being that distance because of the way the room is shaped.

Also, I can watch in both brightness and darkness but primarily watch HDR content in darkness. There is no window directly in front of the TV. I would be willing to wall mount, but prefer a table stand, though not a deal-breaker.

My current TV is a 55” Panasonic OLED from 2019 so I wouldn’t expect a gargantuan improvement in picture quality but a noticeable one would be welcome.

In order of priority, this is what I am looking for:

1. Stunning picture quality out-of-the-box that makes the most out of watching 4K Ultra HD Blu-Rays and streaming 4K on the major streaming services.
2. I want the out-of-the-book settings to be as close to peak performance as possible with no calibration necessary.
3. Good speakers would be nice, but I do have a Dolby Atmos-enabled soundbar.
4. Shouldn’t have a need to change settings too often if watching content in different resolution or framerate. Shouldn’t be work to get the ideal settings.
5. Upscaling HD content to 4K should be top notch
6. Preferably clean menu system, though I have an Android streaming box that I use most of the time anyway.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dodgexander

Probably the LG C1 is your best bet, the Panasonic models maybe have a slight edge with picture accuracy but have a more basic interface. Good thing about LG is they don't have near to black issues like the other TVs do, so the 2020 Panasonic's are actually better in this respect.

I'm not sure it's worth considering Philips when picture accuracy is worse and Android TV is clunkier, although upscaling will be very good.

There's not enough of a difference in picture quality going for the G1 over the C1 to justify going smaller. Sound is better, but not soundbar replacing really. almost 10 feet from the TV you also want to go as big as you can.

NatureFriends

Novice Member
Appreciate your detailed and timely response.

The thing is that I have been leaning slightly to a Panasonic OLED because of the picture accuracy but there aren’t many detailed reviews of the Panasonic TX65JZ980 online that I could find.

Can you confirm whether or not the Panasonic TX65JZ980 is essentially the same TV as the Panasonic GZ950 (my current TV) but just I. The JZ lineup instead of GZ?

I have also strongly considered the LG C1 65” but I have heard that it has a reputation for needing a lot of calibration/work to get the best picture settings/accuracy compared to, for example, Panasonic.

Also, motion processing is important because I don’t want blurry patches on the screen as I am watching fast action.

Dodgexander

Panasonic certainly have the edge with all round picture accuracy but there's not a huge deal in it now. This is in part because of the near to black problems the TVs have, something LGs don't share because they are using a different chipset. I think both would be a 9/10 in this respect. Philips a bit worse with 8/10 but still very accurate.

The JZ980 is comparable to the GZ950 but not exactly the same. Panasonic split their lineup the year after your old TV was released to a HZ980 and HZ1000, the latter model (now the JZ1000) is the same TV, but with a faster backlight drive. Essentially this means you can use motion settings to a greater strength.

In other words, if you keep motion settings disabled on your GZ950 there shouldn't be any difference at all.

If you already own the GZ950 you probably already have a good idea of what to expect when it comes from the OS, ease of use etc. Not much has changed on that part. The biggest difference with the picture though will be the near to black handling which isn't as good as your current TV.

Regarding the setup, I haven't heard anything about LG TVs being more complicated to setup. If you want the most accurate image, it's a matter of choosing the most accurate preset for each input and sticking with that. There shouldn't be any advance settings to change with either.

You won't get any blur with either TV since OLED has an instant response time. Motion is very much in the eye of the beholder though, you may or may not get along with LGs motion. You may even find motion more of a problem with a bigger TV. If motion is a priority, then Philips and Sony gain ground on the other options. If you're happy with the motion on your current TV you will probably be happy with the motion too on the LG C1 or Panasonic JZ980, most people are.

bowman1

Naturefriends is enquiring from New York USA so prices in sterling will probably be irrelevant.
I picked up the 65 inch JZ980 for £999 and due to some issues I had with the delivery and the unit (basically clearance) I got it for £899 in the end.

baz25216

Novice Member
I picked up the 65 inch JZ980 for £999 and due to some issues I had with the delivery and the unit (basically clearance) I got it for £899 in the end.
Just picked one up new boxed from Crampton and Moore at 899 myself :) hopefully OLED lives up to the hype.... Will find out next week. Panasonic Plasma being superseded at long last :)

bowman1

Just picked one up new boxed from Crampton and Moore at 899 myself :) hopefully OLED lives up to the hype.... Will find out next week. Panasonic Plasma being superseded at long last :)
That's good. At least I didn't pay more than you,ha. How did you get it for that from Crampton and Moore?

baz25216

Novice Member
That's good. At least I didn't pay more than you,ha. How did you get it for that from Crampton and Moore?
Lol yeah it's nice when people get a good deal on stuff! Been waiting and watching the market for about 6 months. I was watching several websites Inc C+M and they had 4 different items clearance for ex display Inc the jz980 all of which oled 65 or a qn95a samsung. I called to ask about them and got the guy in Leeds store and he wanted to sell me his last boxed jz980 so told me he'd give me at same price. Basically if I'd went through website he said it would've resulted in my getting something from another store as ex display. So i was lucky i called up to ask how they treat display kit and how it affects warranty etc. But at 899 I was kind of prepared to take a punt anyway. So total bonus the he wanted to shift their last one before another store. New ranges are all coming in now so I guess this is the best time. Was looking at an ex display a80j at Peter Tyson but they just weren't wanting to drop the price enough to make it a good idea with it defo being ex display, they wanted 1500 for it. And I'd have bought it from Sony for the full 1800 before I'd have paid 1500 for ex display.... Or got the jz1000 from John Lewis for 1200.... but at 899 I thought it'll be worth that for sure for jz980 its still an oled from panasonic. Vincent Theo's recent review was also useful to see how it compared to other units.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom