LG Freesat EPG 'Channel Preview' Issue

Thanks for the tip, I'l try media server. Weird that ITV hub doesn't work though.

Thanks for the tip, I'l try media server. Weird that ITV hub doesn't work though.

yea...weirder still that itv hub will not work via freeview play (bbc iplayer does), but it will work through the lg tv browser.
i'm scratching my head about that.

edit : turns out with me in ireland, i need to have uk channels tuned in via terrestrial aerial for the freeview play app to work...not just geo location.

still,, i got my answer to what it was, and at least i can access all the uk catchup services via the tv browser and dropping a shortcut on the main apps screen.

Last edited:
hello all.
4/5 days ago we bought - LG 55UK6950PLB 55" Smart 4K HDR LED TV - from currys.
i will say i am very happy and impressed with sound quality and even actually sd picture quality (which i was worried about as i seen a lot of people complain in reviews of the tv)
i do find the smart remote hard to get on with, and menus fiddly...like no easy way switching between freesat and freeview.....and at night time in our house i do see noticeable light bleeding......and no way to disable the cursor on the magic remote, right ??

anyway..

i have exactly the same issue as discussed here. full guide epg will not open a channel, unless going the extra step of opening the info / recording button to the side of the channel and opening channel from there.....exactly as a previous poster described here....exactly.

i will add the 999 channel switch doesnt seem to help the issue for me.

currys staff direct me to LG support and no answer from sent email a couple of days back yet.

i have updated the tv firmware to latest available - 04.10.45

so, as this thread hasn't had any recent updates to it....can i ask if any of you resolved this issue.

thanks in advance for any replies.

Guys, I have just bought an LG OLED65W8PLA with twin satt tuners as well as freeview. I have the exact same problem
1. EPG does not work as it should. There is no.preview in the top left preview window.
2. Whilst it does,show the current programmes I cannot choose a programme by clicking on it with the magic remote
3. If I open filters and change from freesat to Freeview and back to freesat the preview window will work showing the current station that I am watching BUT if I choose another station by clicking on it with the magic remote the channel will not be changed and the preview window continues to show the station currently being viewed.
4. If I shut down the guide and reopen it I will, again, have no preview mode
5. All works,as it should in Freeview mode
I have software version 05.10.03 and webOS 4.1.3 5620 goldilocks-glacier.

I have the E8 with the same tuner configuration as you and have the same problem. This has been an issue with LG for years and they seem to have no desire to fix it. They blame Freesat but that's cobblers. Samsung have made it work.

Do you really need Freesat? My workaround is to use Freeview as my main EPG but also set up satellite using the 'other operators' option, which lists all the FTA channels on 28.2E. That gives you the preview screen in the EPG and you can go to a channel using the magic remote. I then set up favourites for the few satellite-exclusive channels I watch, such as CNN HD, and filter to satellite in the guide when i need to.

Going out of my mind with this one and hoping someone here may be able to help;

Recently purchased the LG 55UH850V and attached my ex-Sky dish to the back of the TV as instructed.

All went well, channels appeared and EPG is rich with text content.

However, those familiar with webOS 1/2/3 will be aware of the channel preview that appears in the top left of the EPG which updates for the channel you hover over with the magic remote. A crucial part of the browsing experience.

I do not have this.

At best I get a 1/2 second experience of this working, with both audio and visual - only for it to revert back to what looks like an antenna icon which reads 'download programme information.'

In my area I get exceptionally poor freeview reception, yet having tested it upon my multiple scans have seen it working perfectly well with the one channel I am able to get - E4+1. This would imply it's not a TV issue, but an issue on my tuning/Freesat.

Any genius' here able to shed some light on this? The OCD in me would be eternally greatful!
Freesat preview window can be viewed when looking at programme guide. Highlight left hand column (tv channels column) and scroll down to another channel then press 'ok'. That channel should then appear in the preview window.

Selecting a desired channel becomes a real headache in the EPG, involving several clicks. It's nothing like advertised.

The software could do with a bit of an intuitive make over - speeding up/ less clicks- more intuitive access & yes, thumbnail would be nice although there is the LIST option which displays the live channel and has faster , simpler access.

Impressive features and superb picture quality though especially SD rendering & I think there's something like pseudo 3D going on.

Strange that Samsung sets have the same problem. How hard can it be,

I think both Samsung and LG got supplied with the Freesat software from the same source code 'from' Freesat when they struck the deal for those two to include Freesat in their TVs - and I think it might be down to it being slow code so it couldn't afford to run a thumbnail as well.

Plenty of scope to improve it in subsequent sw updates

Freesat works fine on Samsung TVs now, even their entry level ones. This is very much an LG issue.

On entry level Samsung sets can you have the currently tuned Freesat programme in the background and a preview window of the channel 'hovered' over in the EPG? This is what the OP wanted to happen.
As post #2 implied, you need two sat tuners (and software to enable the function) to do this.
My Sammy with two sat tuners doesn't even have a preview window when I invoke the Freesat EPG. (It does on Freeview and the non-Freesat 'tuner' )

Freesat works fine on Samsung TVs now, even their entry level ones. This is very much an LG issue.
Freesat works fine on LG & Samsung TVs - there's good and bad points - I don't think the absence of a thumbnail in GUIDE mode makes much difference tbh and on LGs you can use LIST which has full size video & single key press to swap channels but then it does require pressing exit to remove the EPG where perhaps double click would have been more intuitive.

On entry level Samsung sets can you have the currently tuned Freesat programme in the background and a preview window of the channel 'hovered' over in the EPG? This is what the OP wanted to happen.
As post #2 implied, you need two sat tuners (and software to enable the function) to do this.
My Sammy with two sat tuners doesn't even have a preview window when I invoke the Freesat EPG. (It does on Freeview and the non-Freesat 'tuner' )
I had last year's model (NU55) and although it didn't do what you described above I'm pretty sure it had a thumbnail when you selected the channel in the EPG. You could then click from there to full screen.

ah, I see. A lot off mission drift has occurred since post #1.
What is annoying about my LG, is to access a programme from the EPG requires a different technique between Freesat and Freeview.:rotfl:

Thought I'd dive in on this, just bought a 55 inch lg, freesat EPG, when I press guide, the preview works for a second then stops, then I have to press select again and it works, I can then select any other channel and it works.

Interesting, I'll check this out.

And me though my new 55" LG (2019 C(9) OLED only has a single satellite feed from the Tuner 1 out from the Foxsat-HDR underneath it. I don't have a recording usb drive attached so limited to Live TV.

No Freeview aerial connected. No point the TV works fine with my twin tuner IP streaming V-box box.

This has built in USB recording though I don't currently use it.

I must say the 1080i Foxsat-HDR output looks much better now when viewed directly on a high end Panny Full-HD TV.

N
You would need a TV with two Freesat tuners to be able to view live content on a different transponder to the one the first tuner is currently using (and the capability for each tuner to demux two channels at the same time from a single Mux). If both were recording at the time from different transponders only channels sharing a transponder with either recording could be viewed.
not necessarily true, I have an LGOLED55C9PLA. And the preview in TV guide sometimes says downloading sometimes not available, other times it’s there for a full 90 seconds, only have two tuners one freesat one freeview.......this TV is a bit weird with the channel guide, sometimes doesn’t populate for 20-30 seconds, my old Panasonic 42” plasma, was perfectly always there.....the higher tech they get the more troublesome......so many tweaks to settings and options I would like to see......given all to LG, but don’t expect anything to change.......

Hi
And me though my new 55" LG (2019 C(9) OLED only has a single satellite feed from the Tuner 1 out from the Foxsat-HDR underneath it. I don't have a recording usb drive attached so limited to Live TV.

No Freeview aerial connected. No point the TV works fine with my twin tuner IP streaming V-box box.

This has built in USB recording though I don't currently use it.

I must say the 1080i Foxsat-HDR output looks much better now when viewed directly on a high end Panny Full-HD TV.

i have this TV also, excellent picture, but so many options could be improved, have given long list to LG, but unlikely to ever see anything changed........have two hard drives plugged in to record & both have the same name, can’t rename them doesn’t use windows name given to them 😱

I have a 2019 50 inch LG smart TV. country was set to Ireland. No freesat option in auto tune menu. Only a satellite list to choose from. Once tuned it would show the epg but without the channel logos. epg was often blank until hovering the pointer over a channel. I had renumbered a few channels.

Then last week LG pushed a software update and suddenly no epg. Did a factory reset. Rescanned astra 28.2. Renumbered a few channels(this causes havoc with the epg but read on) . No epg.

Changed country from Ireland to UK which triggers a factory reset. Set postcode to BBC studios in London. Selected Freesat in the satellite auto tuning menu. Voila TV set itself up in seconds with properly ordered channels, channel logos and fully functional epg.

Went to renumber channels. Can't. LG locks the channel numbers. Hate that I cant renumber channels. So go back to auto tuning menu . Chose 'others' instead of freesat. Manually selected astra 28.2. Auto tuning took the usual 15 minutes to scan. Eventually found 420 channels and 63 radio stations. TV channels have logos and option to renumber channels is once again available.

Renumbered NHK from 210 to 1. Suddenly no epg. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

Renumbered NHK back to 210. Suddenly epg magically starts working again.

Bottom line: do not renumber any channels on LG TV's if you value having an epg. Also if country is set to UK then freesat option appears in auto tune menu and channel logos appear once tuned in.

Spoke with LG and they confirmed that the preview window will not work on Freesat. They say they couldn't get it to work properly :(

On a separate topic... does anyone know how to mount network shares (i.e. NAS) without having to use some form of DLNA?

I found out the same from LG , they told me that Freesat is not fully implemented....I don’t know why ? Maybe licensing fees paid by LG ??? The TV guide is often unpopulated, taking ages to fill in with channel info....the little window top left corner used to work, but lately it just says downloading......my OLD Panasonic TV had no such issues with TV guide....this new super smart TVs are not really so smart 😱 I have an LGOLED55C9PLA
imhabe made a number of suggestions to LG, but can’t honestly see them bothering.....top of my list is would like to rename the portable hard drives and be able to delete folders as well as files from portable hard drives...

Freesat do not allow renumbering (Freeview does).
The ability to display a Freesat preview in not limited to LG. My dual tuner Samsung is the same on Freesat, but displays a preview window in non Freesat and Freeview modes.

If anyone is still after a solution to this EPG issue with the Freesat channels, I have a sort of work around. You will need a USB stick. Tune the channels as normal using the Freesat settings, then export the channel list to the USB stick. Open up the channel list on a PC using ChanSort and choose "Modify current list". Scroll down to the bottom of the "sorted channels" windows and delete the Freesat data file as well as the other greyed out items. Save the amended list back onto the USB stick. Import the files into your TV using the same menu as exporting them, but choosing to import from USB to TV. The TV will reboot after 5 seconds and the EPG selection and preview should now work.

If anyone is still after a solution to this EPG issue with the Freesat channels, I have a sort of work around. You will need a USB stick. Tune the channels as normal using the Freesat settings, then export the channel list to the USB stick. Open up the channel list on a PC using ChanSort and choose "Modify current list". Scroll down to the bottom of the "sorted channels" windows and delete the Freesat data file as well as the other greyed out items. Save the amended list back onto the USB stick. Import the files into your TV using the same menu as exporting them, but choosing to import from USB to TV. The TV will reboot after 5 seconds and the EPG selection and preview should now work.

well I don’t think I have the option to save channels to a usb pen on my LGOLED55C9PLA. TV, Still trying to get the TV guide to populate on freesat, as I watch it, it starts to fill out a little, then if I don’t keep moving the cursor around it defaults back to today’s programs, leave it long enough and it goes back to live TV, where I have to start all over again, it doesn’t remember previous TV guide information.....this is the very worst thing about this TV, what a shambles, my 20 year old Panasonic plasma had the TV guide instantly always, no downloading TV guide window 🤯
what I do now, is research the program time on my IPAD on TV guide, ( which has a 2 week guide 🤔 write this down and do a manual timer record, again it’s not easy, when setting this up, but getting used to it.....in the schedule recording it says date, but have to open it again to get the stop start time......everything is so complicated, wish I could rewrite the O.S. To make it clearer....think they concentrated so much on picture quality , which is superb, they forgot about everything else 😡

P.S. even L.G.don’t give accurate replies ( when they finally get around to responding ) they said I would NOT get the small video window of the selected TV channel in the top left corner in the TV guide window, as it didn’t have that capability , but it does 🤯 also the TV is advertise as a twin tuner, well it ISN'T it’s a single tuner capable of receiving two inputs ( one at the time ) Freeview or Freesat, IMO that’s NOT a twin tuner....

well I don’t think I have the option to save channels to a usb pen on my LGOLED55C9PLA. TV, Still trying to get the TV guide to populate on freesat, as I watch it, it starts to fill out a little, then if I don’t keep moving the cursor around it defaults back to today’s programs, leave it long enough and it goes back to live TV, where I have to start all over again, it doesn’t remember previous TV guide information.....this is the very worst thing about this TV, what a shambles, my 20 year old Panasonic plasma had the TV guide instantly always, no downloading TV guide window 🤯
what I do now, is research the program time on my IPAD on TV guide, ( which has a 2 week guide 🤔 write this down and do a manual timer record, again it’s not easy, when setting this up, but getting used to it.....in the schedule recording it says date, but have to open it again to get the stop start time......everything is so complicated, wish I could rewrite the O.S. To make it clearer....think they concentrated so much on picture quality , which is superb, they forgot about everything else 😡

P.S. even L.G.don’t give accurate replies ( when they finally get around to responding ) they said I would NOT get the small video window of the selected TV channel in the top left corner in the TV guide window, as it didn’t have that capability , but it does 🤯 also the TV is advertise as a twin tuner, well it ISN'T it’s a single tuner capable of receiving two inputs ( one at the time ) Freeview or Freesat, IMO that’s NOT a twin tuner....
I've got an LG E8 and I agree that there's a lot wrong with the platform. I love the picture quality but that's all, so I doubt if I'd buy another LG.

Thanks for clearing up the 'twin tuner' mystery. The E8 is also sold as having a twin tuner and I spent ages trying to fathom how it worked! I then forgot about it as I use a Humax PVR anyway, however you're right, what they mean is two tuners (Freeview and Freesat) NOT twin tuner. Very poor marketing.

Maybe different version of system software, but I export/import the channel list to USB with the menu in the attached photo. The EPG is much more responsive with the tweaked channel list, the preview image loads up instantly and I can actually select the channel by just clicking on it (once to preview, second time to select and exit EPG). Definitely a software thing at LGs end, because the tuner clearly supports the guide and preview just fine.

Attachments

• IMG_20200509_125551.jpg
    IMG_20200509_125551.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 106
If the TV only has one Freesat tuner it cannot display the preview window (PiP) in the EPG as LG state? To display the EPG, the tuner has to tune to the Freesat Home transponder on 11425 H, UK spot beam. If it is tuned to that it cannot then display a preview pic from a different transponder.

Having said that, displaying the preview window on a two Freesat tuner TV should not be a problem (unless it's recording) as one tuner should be able to display the PiP and the other tune to the Freesat Home reansponder to pick up the +EPG. My two tuner Samsung does not do this though.
reddwarf4ever said:
what they mean is two tuners (Freeview and Freesat) NOT twin tuner. Very poor marketing
Pretty clever marketing (if possibly a tad misleading) if I might make so bold. It fooled you it seems.

Guys, I have just bought an LG OLED65W8PLA with twin satt tuners as well as freeview. I have the exact same problem
1. EPG does not work as it should. There is no.preview in the top left preview window.
2. Whilst it does,show the current programmes I cannot choose a programme by clicking on it with the magic remote
3. If I open filters and change from freesat to Freeview and back to freesat the preview window will work showing the current station that I am watching BUT if I choose another station by clicking on it with the magic remote the channel will not be changed and the preview window continues to show the station currently being viewed.
4. If I shut down the guide and reopen it I will, again, have no preview mode
5. All works,as it should in Freeview mode
I have software version 05.10.03 and webOS 4.1.3 5620 goldilocks-glacier.
Are you sure this has twin SAT tuners, my LGOLED55C9PLA. Advertised with a twin tuner but in fact it only has a double tuner, so it can access freesat or freeview not both at the same time, fooled me for ages, really thought Twin tuner meant Twin tuner....

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom