LG Freesat bbc hd signal issue

Thanks for pointing that out. I had heard that splitting a satellite signal was not as simple as doing so with an aerial, but I just thought that as Konig was advertising one, then it might be the answer I was looking for. I must admit, I did have my doubts when I saw the quoted frequency.

No great worries, as it was a way (or so I thought) of leaving a signal connected to the TV directly whilst also connecting to the FOXSAT. However, as it will only be used as a 'backup'(FOXSAT packs up) I will simply move the feed as and when needed.

Thanks again, as it's saved me wasting my money on something that won't work 👍.

If you can, I'd say run another coax from the dish & use good coax & connectors.

You can get an A B switch, bit chunky & originally designed for cable but a 2nd coax run is best.

UPDATE
So, I wonder if LG will refund me the £20 that I've had to fork out in order to find a 'work-around' to their satellite tuner issue...I very much doubt it 😉.

I haggled out an £80 reduction in price for this fault from the retailer, so this will more than pay for any rectification hardware.

Hi, we purchased an LG 55UM7400PLB on Saturday and have the same issues as described here. I've just come off the phone to LG customer services, they have acknowledged the problem and told me that it's been worked on. I wasn't fobbed off with suggestions of dish or cableing issues.

The agent wanted the tv serial number and the software version. It will help, I think if people with this issue give them a call, so they realise the scale of the problem.

On a related note, some on here have said they can't check the satellite signal strength and quality on the set. Programme Tuning - Satellite Settings and then "click" on Satellite #1 Astra 28.2E etc. works for me. It states that this will change all the stored programmes, but click Yes to get to the next screen.

Mine shows Satellite Signal Strength as 98% and Signal Quality as 100%

More good news, in a roundabout sort of way.

Clem

Thanks for pointing that out. I had heard that splitting a satellite signal was not as simple as doing so with an aerial, but I just thought that as Konig was advertising one, then it might be the answer I was looking for. I must admit, I did have my doubts when I saw the quoted frequency.

No great worries, as it was a way (or so I thought) of leaving a signal connected to the TV directly whilst also connecting to the FOXSAT. However, as it will only be used as a 'backup'(FOXSAT packs up) I will simply move the feed as and when needed.

Thanks again, as it's saved me wasting my money on something that won't work 👍.

You can use tuner 1 out on the Foxsat to feed the TV. It needs to be set to use low power sby. With the box in sby the TV will be able to access all channels. When or recording in sby it will restrict viewing to transponders using the same band and polarisation as the Foxsat tuner 1 is using.

For low band that's a little less than 50% of the total channels so it's not as restrictive as it sounds.

Example If the Foxsat is recording BBC 1- HD England you can watch any of these on the TV

103ITV
113ITV2
117ITV4
118ITVBe
154ITV4+1
602CITV
977ITV London
103ITV London
103ITV Granada
103 ITV Anglia East
103ITV Central West
101BBC One W Mid
201BBC Parliament
703BBC Radio 3
704BBC Radio 4 FM
707BBC 6Music
708BBC Radio 4 Ex
710BBC Radio 4 LW
711BBC World Sv
712BBC R Scotland
713BBC RnGaidheal
714BBC R Wales
715BBC R Cymru
716BBC R Ulster
717BBCRadioFoyle
952BBC One E Mid
953BBC One East E
963BBC One W Mid
964BBC One Wales
967BBC One Yk&Li
971BBC Two Wales
212BBC NEWS
607CBBC
957BBC One NI
958BBC One Oxford
961BBC One South
962BBC One S West
969BBC Two NI
102BBC Two HD
106BBC One HD
600CBBC HD
971BBC Two HD Wales
972BBC One HD
949BBC Two HD
979BBC Two Wales
978BBC One NI HD
115ITV3
116ITV3+1
731talkSPORT
112STV East + 1
103STV North
103 STV Central West
103 STV Central East
112ITV Granada + 1
103ITV Channel TV
121Channel 4 + 1
123E4 + 1
124More4
301Film4 + 1
975Channel 4 + 1
111 STV HD
111ITV HD
111ITV London HD
111ITV Granada HD
111ITV Meridian South HD
111ITV Central West HD
111ITV HD Anglia East
111ITV HD Yorkshire West
1274seven
206RT HD
209NHKWORLD-JAPAN
211CGTN
214Arirang TV
692Revelation
142Sony Channel
143Sony Channel+1
154true ent
302Sony Movies
303Sony Classic
305Sony Action
304Sony Classic +1
603POP
605Tiny Pop
604POP Max
134CBS Drama
136CBS Reality +1
139horror ch+1
135CBS Reality
137CBS Justice
138horror channel
305Movies4Men +1
156YourTV
693ISLAM CHANNEL
695Sonlife TV
120S4C HD
143Sony Crime 2
167QUEST HD
205FRANCE 24(ENG)
252FreeSports HD
210CNBC
215TRT World
175SMITHSONIAN HD
306TalkingPics TV
694GOD Channel
806JML Direct
171YANGA!
695Sonlife TV
809TJC
208Bloomberg TV

Last edited:
Hi, we purchased an LG 55UM7400PLB on Saturday and have the same issues as described here. I've just come off the phone to LG customer services, they have acknowledged the problem and told me that it's been worked on. I wasn't fobbed off with suggestions of dish or cableing issues.

The agent wanted the tv serial number and the software version. It will help, I think if people with this issue give them a call, so they realise the scale of the problem.

On a related note, some on here have said they can't check the satellite signal strength and quality on the set. Programme Tuning - Satellite Settings and then "click" on Satellite #1 Astra 28.2E etc. works for me. It states that this will change all the stored programmes, but click Yes to get to the next screen.

Mine shows Satellite Signal Strength as 98% and Signal Quality as 100%

Thank you for reporting this problem. I am very annoyed after my latest phone call with LG yesterday. The analyst I spoke to had such an attitude problem, very much denying the problem, this is after a few different phone calls between myself and LG whereby they were asking for more info.

I dont get angry, it's not in my nature at all, but this guy was very defensive arguing to and fro that the problem was blatantly a dish/lnb issue and NOT a TV issue. He said he spoke to 2 different technicians that agreed with him that the issue was "obviously" a dish/signal/lnb issue, I argued the best I could with the limited knowledge I have on Satellite technology. It ended up with us both repeating our stances, literally me saying "IT IS A TUNER ISSUE", him saying "IT'S NOT A TUNER ISSUE, rinse repeat for a good 30 seconds.....not professional in any way.

This is after the last couple of analysts said they too had dealt with similar issues and that LG were investigating the issues. Plus they also said they were trying to understand the issue in more detail, for example was it location specific, software specific, model specific. This guy made out I was lying, called my bluff so I told him to go retrieve the phone recordings as I was NOT lying.

I asked him to escalate the issue, he said nothing would be done and would be pointless. I pursued this anyway, they have sent a text asking me to call them back today but unfortunately didn't have the time today.

I'm not 100% what course of action I am going to take at this stage. As you can imagine I was very p*ssed off after the last phone call. It's obvious there is an issue, look at this forum (the analyst also said they dont "read" forums") but LG obviously dont want to acknowledge this as that would ultimately mean lack of business/sales.....sigh.

I am going to attempt to call John Lewis again and escalate that way, but dont feel I'll have much luck if I'm honest. The only other option I have is to double up the attenuators to see whether reducing signal strength to 18% will work......obviously not a Tuner issue eh!!!!!!!

You can use tuner 1 out on the Foxsat to feed the TV. It needs to be set to use low power sby. With the box in sby the TV will be able to access all channels. When or recording in sby it will restrict viewing to transponders using the same band and polarisation as the Foxsat tuner 1 is using.

For low band that's a little less than 50% of the total channels so it's not as restrictive as it sounds.

Example If the Foxsat is recording BBC 1- HD England you can watch any of these on the TV

Thanks for that. Excuse my ignorance, but are you referring to 'standby' when you write 'sby'?

@ChrisDodson1: Return the TV, move on and try something else, if you can. I don’t have a Twitter account, but would posting there help at all? (I avoid social media [sic] like the plague.) Or get JL involved, point them to this thread. In reality, as I see it, this is a JL problem anyway, as what they sold you is not fit for purpose. I generally like my LG, random odd power off issue aside, but could have gone for an equivalent Samsung. The only things at the time that stopped at the time me was the lack of Dolby Vision support and the lack of DD5.1 audio passthru via HDMI. Lack of DV support is not an issue, as I much prefer HDR, and the passthru does seem to work, according to some sources. That you can get an almost equivalent from a different manufacturer perhaps strengthens your argument with JL. There’s always the Small Claims Court too ...

Clem

Ok, so our dish is easily accessible. This afternoon, I adjusted the azimuth until the tv showed a signal strength of around 86% while retaining signal quality of 100%. We've been watching primarily BBC HD channels since then and not a single dropout. The Humax Freesat recorder seems happy too.

This for me is enough of a fix until (if) LG come up with a proper solution.

Ok, so our dish is easily accessible. This afternoon, I adjusted the azimuth until the tv showed a signal strength of around 86% while retaining signal quality of 100%. We've been watching primarily BBC HD channels since then and not a single dropout. The Humax Freesat recorder seems happy too.

This for me is enough of a fix until (if) LG come up with a proper solution.

Well done, I would say elevation & up is best rather than azimuth, the reason is slightly better SNR as you're not moving it towards other satellites & thus adding noise & not towards ground & local noise so it's just a % cleaner but I did this with a motor = azimuth.

103ITV
113ITV2
117ITV4
118ITVBe
154ITV4+1
602CITV
977ITV London
103ITV London
103ITV Granada
103ITV Anglia East
103ITV Central West
101BBC One W Mid
201BBC Parliament
703BBC Radio 3
704BBC Radio 4 FM
707BBC 6Music
708BBC Radio 4 Ex
710BBC Radio 4 LW
711BBC World Sv
712BBC R Scotland
713BBC RnGaidheal
714BBC R Wales
715BBC R Cymru
716BBC R Ulster
717BBCRadioFoyle
952BBC One E Mid
953BBC One East E
963BBC One W Mid
964BBC One Wales
967BBC One Yk&Li
971BBC Two Wales
212BBC NEWS
607CBBC
957BBC One NI
958BBC One Oxford
961BBC One South
962BBC One S West
969BBC Two NI
102BBC Two HD
106BBC One HD
600CBBC HD
971BBC Two HD Wales
972BBC One HD
949BBC Two HD
979BBC Two Wales
978BBC One NI HD
115ITV3
116ITV3+1
731talkSPORT
112STV East + 1
103STV North
103STV Central West
103STV Central East
112ITV Granada + 1
103ITV Channel TV
121Channel 4 + 1
123E4 + 1
124More4
301Film4 + 1
975Channel 4 + 1
111STV HD
111ITV HD
111ITV London HD
111ITV Granada HD
111ITV Meridian South HD
111ITV Central West HD
111ITV HD Anglia East
111ITV HD Yorkshire West
1274seven
206RT HD
209NHKWORLD-JAPAN
211CGTN
214Arirang TV
692Revelation
142Sony Channel
143Sony Channel+1
154true ent
302Sony Movies
303Sony Classic
305Sony Action
304Sony Classic +1
603POP
605Tiny Pop
604POP Max
134CBS Drama
136CBS Reality +1
139horror ch+1
135CBS Reality
137CBS Justice
138horror channel
305Movies4Men +1
156YourTV
693ISLAM CHANNEL
695Sonlife TV
120S4C HD
143Sony Crime 2
167QUEST HD
205FRANCE 24(ENG)
252FreeSports HD
210CNBC
215TRT World
175SMITHSONIAN HD
306TalkingPics TV
694GOD Channel
806JML Direct
171YANGA!
695Sonlife TV
809TJC
208Bloomberg TV
Had a chance to try this the other day and didn't have a lot of success due to either 'finger trouble' on my part 😉 and / or our FOXSAT HDR being an OLD version.

Had the LNB1 'Out' connected direct to back of LG satellite tuner. 'Power Saving in Standby' was already set to disabled, thus allowing 'LNB loop-through' and 'Automatic Standby' was also disabled.

I couldn't find any option in the FOXSAT menu for 'low power standby'?!

With the FOXSAT in 'standby' no signal was getting through to the LG, hence no channels. I had to take the FOXSAT out of standby in order for the loop-through to operate. I didn't check the presence of all the above channels, but I don't think I could get anywhere near as many being displayed as listed with BBC 1 HD selected.

Again, I must stress this may all be down to 'finger trouble' on my part, but the 'low power standby' option (or lack of) might well be the stumbling block here!.

Had a chance to try this the other day and didn't have a lot of success due to either 'finger trouble' on my part 😉 and / or our FOXSAT HDR being an OLD version.

Had the LNB1 'Out' connected direct to back of LG satellite tuner. 'Power Saving in Standby' was already set to disabled, thus allowing 'LNB loop-through' and 'Automatic Standby' was also disabled.

I couldn't find any option in the FOXSAT menu for 'low power standby'?!

With the FOXSAT in 'standby' no signal was getting through to the LG, hence no channels. I had to take the FOXSAT out of standby in order for the loop-through to operate. I didn't check the presence of all the above channels, but I don't think I could get anywhere near as many being displayed as listed with BBC 1 HD selected.

Again, I must stress this may all be down to 'finger trouble' on my part, but the 'low power standby' option (or lack of) might well be the stumbling block here!.

Foxsat - remote

Menu - Settings - down to other - press right - Down to Power Saving In sby - Right - to display on press OK and exit. Put box in sby. Check the box isn't recording or about to record. Put it on sby. Now tune Freesat on the TV.

For more info how to identify what channels you can view while the box is on or recording in sby.

If you haven't got Excel. Download the static version. Save it on your PC. Open a web browser use the File menu option to open . htm file.

The channel up down option on the remote will cycle through all the viewable channels.

My Foxsat is one of the first batch so they don't come any older.

Last edited:
Well done, I would say elevation & up is best rather than azimuth, the reason is slightly better SNR as you're not moving it towards other satellites & thus adding noise & not towards ground & local noise so it's just a % cleaner but I did this with a motor = azimuth.

Actually, it's me getting my terminology wrong. I did change the elevation and not the azimuth! :laugh:

It's still a fudge though. Take a properly aligned dish and skew (no pun intended) its alignment to fix a tuner problem on a TV. Still, that's joy of mass-produced stuff, I suppose.

Clem

Foxsat - remote

Menu - Settings - down to other - press right - Down to Power Saving In sby - Right - to display on press OK and exit. Put box in sby. Check the box isn't recording or about to record. Put it on sby. Now tune Freesat on the TV.

For more info how to identify what channels you can view while the box is on or recording in sby.

If you haven't got Excel. Download the static version. Save it on your PC. Open a web browser use the File menu option to open . htm file.

The channel up down option on the remote will cycle through all the viewable channels.

My Foxsat is one of the first batch so they don't come any older.
Egg on face time for me. I completely misunderstood (more like misinterpreted) the meaning and operation characteristics of 'Power Saving in Standby' as I simply thought (naively as it turns out) that I needed to have 'LNB loop-through' ENABLED, hence my having 'Power Saving in Standby' turned OFF. A complete lack of understanding on my part as you can obviously tell......what is it they say...."a little knowledge of something is dangerous".....:facepalm:

Thank you very much for pointing out the error of my ways, much appreciated. Haven't actually tried selecting those channels with the FOXSAT recording, but I'm sure it will work just fine, as I can cycle through virtually all the satellite channels with the box in 'sby' with the exception of one or two of which I'm not interested in, or can pick up on another channel number 👍.

Egg on face time for me. I completely misunderstood (more like misinterpreted) the meaning and operation characteristics of 'Power Saving in Standby' as I simply thought (naively as it turns out) that I needed to have 'LNB loop-through' ENABLED, hence my having 'Power Saving in Standby' turned OFF. A complete lack of understanding on my part as you can obviously tell......what is it they say...."a little knowledge of something is dangerous".....:facepalm:

Thank you very much for pointing out the error of my ways, much appreciated. Haven't actually tried selecting those channels with the FOXSAT recording, but I'm sure it will work just fine, as I can cycle through virtually all the satellite channels with the box in 'sby' with the exception of one or two of which I'm not interested in, or can pick up on another channel number 👍.

With power saving in sby turned on when in full standby., an internal relay directly connects tuner 1 in to tuner 1 out. It should therefore work the same as if ran a coax cable directly to the lnb (the TV tuner has full polarisation and band switching control of the lnb. When on or recording in sby the Foxsat-HDR controls the lnb. The TV tuner has no control.

With power saving in sby turned on when in full standby., an internal relay directly connects tuner 1 in to tuner 1 out. It should therefore work the same as if ran a coax cable directly to the lnb (the TV tuner has full polarisation and band switching control of the lnb. When on or recording in sby the Foxsat-HDR controls the lnb. The TV tuner has no control.
Is 'LNB loop-through' the same as tuner 1 in being connected to tuner 1 out? If so, then surely the manual is a bit misleading when it states with 'Power Saving in Standby' OFF, then 'LNB loop-through' is enabled, or have I misread it? Just want to check I'm not going 'do lally' 😉.

Last edited:
Is 'LNB loop-through' the same as tuner 1 in being connected to tuner 1 out? If so, then surely the manual is a bit misleading when it states with 'Power Saving in Standby' OFF, then 'LNB loop-through' is enabled, or have I misread it? Just want to check I'm not going 'do lally' 😉.

The manual is very vague, this behaviour was found a long time ago by experimenting with the box.

Remember the tuner 1 socket out is actually designed to allow you to use both tuners with a single cable (single cable mode) by fitting a short link cable tuner 1 out to tuner 2 in.. The fact that you can use it to feed another seperate tuner while retaining dual feeds is a bonus.

On the newer boxes if you setup one with only a single cable on tuner 1 in. The link is automatically internally enabled.

To make full use of your Foxsat-HDR you should install the custom firmware hosted on this forum.

Update:
After fitting the first variable attenuator and not noticing any difference, I noticed someone added a 2nd one and turned down the signal further so I decided to follow this also.

I daisy-chained the 2nd attenuator and then turned the signal down to around 20% and hey presto. All BBC HD channels were now showing glitch-free. Checked the other channels and they all looked fine also.

This might not be a solution that everyone wants to do but it's worked for me and I can live with that. In the instance of really poor weather and any problems, a simple tweak of the knob on the attenuator can bring the signal up a little if need be.

I did notice a lip-sync issue but moved the channel up one and down one and it was fine, that's the first time I've noticed that.

What were you measuring the 20% on?
What value attenuator(s) did you use?

What were you measuring the 20% on?
What value attenuator(s) did you use?

Hi, in the tuning menu, when you go to adjust the satellite settings, it gives you a signal strength and signal quality level. Originally both mine were 100%. With 1 attenuator, I got it down to around 60% which made no difference, with 2 in line, I can take pretty much all the way down. I've attached a pic of the attenuator. Its 0-20BD, paid just over a 5 fiver each via eBay.

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 103
Thanks for that info. I already use one of those to 'throttle back' my PVR modulator output into my terrestrial signal.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom