LG Freesat bbc hd signal issue

Bigfish100

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi . This is my first post ,not sure if it’s already been posted here or not but hoping sum1 can answer . Job I am on just now purchased 4 brand new LG tv,s in various sizes .
All TVs have an issue with the bbc hd channels from the Freesat install as picture scrambles.
I thought there must be an issue with the dish .
But the engineer tested the signals and both brand new Freesat dishes are bouncing.
He said he has heard of this problem with LG tv’s on one previous occasion when the frequency’ were changed .
I have tried a Freesat set top box at the locations the tv’s are in and there is no issue with the bbc hd channels. I tried a factory reset and had no joy also tried setting tv up via other operator 28.2 and on first glance it seems the same is there channels on a different band that may work ?
Any ideas how to resolve this issue I contacted LG today and they were very little help .

Area I am setting up is in Dumfries and Galloway.

Thanks in advance

BBC has not changed anything in recent times wrt the transmitted parameters and ITV uses the same ones. So there is no excuse for any recently made TVs to have any issues whatsoever. Different BBC HD channels are on different transponders but the exact same signals are used for freesat and for $ky. There are no 'alternatives' to be had per se.

What do the TVs report for signal strength and quality (or bit error rates) on the affected channels and on other HD channels that don't break up?

"Bouncing" satellite dishes may account for problems as they need to point very accurately at a small point - the satellites - and if they are moving....;) Suspect you meant the dish installer technician (few are properly qualified Engineers) said signal levels were good/excellent? That a freesat box in same location using same lnb feed works does suggest that the LG sets have an issue rather than the dish/lnb install.

Consider: Rejecting TVs as 'not fit for purpose' and replace with alternative sets? THAT may get LG's attention - or at least the supplying TV Dealers.

I’m afraid not . What area are you in?

I contacted LG and they were not interested.
Basically customer must use a Freesat set top box to receive channels or return tv to supplier and use a different brand .

I will be avoiding LG in the future

He's in Bristol according to his profile.
Manysolo, what LG set do you have. I am on the south east coast, have an LG and it works just fine on Freesat.

I’m not sure of exact models there were four different models on this installation all purchased in June . Alternative TV set worked great on Freesat as did Freesat box ad a sky set top box .
If any1 has any new information regarding this issue I would be keen to hear .

Interesting. This thread seems relevant: Pixelated image on BBC 1 HD and BBC 2 HD on Freesat to the discussion, I think.

I’ve not noticed any pixelation on BBC1HD on my new LG49SM8500PLA TV when in Freesat mode, but then I use it primarily for Freeview. I do get the occasional glitching in Freeview mode, as my home TV distribution system has always had that problem. I digress.

At face value, this issue would suggest perhaps something hardware-related, like a manufacturing problem. I get the impression that LG uses the same core hardware and software for driving the Freeview/Freesat/VOD parts of its panels. Model numbers would be helpful, along with details from where they were purchased, serial numbers, current software versions, etc., along with actual data from the signal test page. Having checked mine, I have to say that it’s fairly bargain basement, with just a representation of signal strength and quality, which on my TV are both 100%, not that that means much.

If there is sufficient evidence showing an issue with a particular model, then I would like to think that LG might be more interested. That said, other than this thread and the other in the LG TV forum, there hasn’t been much ‘noise’ about this particular problem. Local interference of some sort, perhaps?

Clem

I would like to share my experiences with LG. My experience with an LG 55EG960V-ZA are superb perfect reception on both terrestrial and satellite. Based on this it seemed a good idea to get a smaller one for another room. Hence I got a 43UM7500PLA one of their latest models, based on the online spec. Before purchasing I was assured by a LG representative that this model had a satellite receiver and was perfect for receiving freesat.

However the 43UM7500PLA will not decode any BBC channel they are all scrambled. All other channels are perfect including UHD SES Astra. To be specific the channels causing the scrambled problems have a transponder frequency of 10847.00 MHz and 11024.00 MHz, a symbol rate of 23000 and are modulated with 8PSK, thus require 8PSK demodulation. As the images are scrambled I can only assume their is demodulation problem. So probably a problem with their Astra 28.2 freesat transponder list entries. There is a facility to edit the transponder list, but only the very basics, the demodulation can not b e changed So LG support for advice. The downlead from the LNB was tested on LG 55EG960V-ZA, a diagnostic tuner, a humax box all work perfectly for specified channels, signal quality between 94% and 100%

Here are some of their responses:
You have not tuned properly, you are using the wrong cable, try another satellite, it must be auto tuned at least 3 times, the signal is to strong , the signal is to weak, you have the wrong satellite dish, we don't guarantee freesat reception, you can't have terrestrial and satellite cables connected at the same time. They did a remote access and did an auto tune but found there was no signal so concluded the tuner was not working. On checking myself I found they had set the wrong satellite to scan.

I have used their on line repair request, I have emailed. This has been going on since mid September. Have they passed me onto someone with technical expertise, no still waiting.

If anybody is interested I can supply all the documentation and test images.

In the mean time DON'T buy LG Tv's if you need satellite reception, You won't get any technical support and the support available is at level 0. (for people who forgot to put the mains plug in)

Attachments

• 9-20190925_15_25_47_BBC two HD 2.jpg
    9-20190925_15_25_47_BBC two HD 2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 424
  • 5-20191004_18_33_48_UHD screen showing no damage.jpg
    5-20191004_18_33_48_UHD screen showing no damage.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 534
I would like to share my experiences with LG.
That one LG TV works and the other doesn't on the same dish/lnb implies an issue. Have you tried/checked the small TV with the cable that feeds the larger TV and seen the same problem?

NB the problem should also affect ITV HD channels not just the BBC. Is that correct?

10846 V DVBS2 8PSK 23000 3/4 0.35 BBC HDs #1
11024 H DVBS2 8PSK 23000 3/4 0.35 BBC HDs #2
11052 H DVBS2 8PSK 23000 3/4 0.35 ITV HDs #1
11068 V DVBS2 8PSK 23000 3/4 0.35 ITV HDs #2
11097V DVBS2 8PSK 23000 3/4 0.35 ITV HDs #3

There are 20 transponders using DVBS2 8PSK, only 5 with the 2300 3/4 FEC which is causing problems for some receivers tuners (including some older Panasonics).

I would suggest you reject the problem set with the retail seller as 'unfit for purpose' and buy a different one? The sooner the better?

That one LG TV works and the other doesn't on the same dish/lnb implies an issue. Have you tried/checked the small TV with the cable that feeds the larger TV and seen the same problem?

NB the problem should also affect ITV HD channels not just the BBC. Is that correct?

10846 V DVBS2 8PSK 23000 3/4 0.35 BBC HDs #1
11024 H DVBS2 8PSK 23000 3/4 0.35 BBC HDs #2
11052 H DVBS2 8PSK 23000 3/4 0.35 ITV HDs #1
11068 V DVBS2 8PSK 23000 3/4 0.35 ITV HDs #2
11097V DVBS2 8PSK 23000 3/4 0.35 ITV HDs #3

There are 20 transponders using DVBS2 8PSK, only 5 with the 2300 3/4 FEC which is causing problems for some receivers tuners (including some older Panasonics).

I would suggest you reject the problem set with the retail seller as 'unfit for purpose' and buy a different one? The sooner the better?

No its not a LNB issue, all tuners including the faulty one have been tried on all 4 down feeds. The same down feed from the LNB was tested on LG 55EG960V-ZA, a diagnostic tuner, a humax box all work perfectly for specified channels, signal quality between 94% and 100%.

As I stated all other channels work perfectly only BBC HD is scrambled. If the problem lies with the transponder list for 10847.00 MHz and 11024.00 MHz only then it would not affect any other channels. As others have had similar problems I do believe LG has responsibility and should accept this resolving the issue for its customers. In my case I'm not a novice in this area, but others who are will not be dealt with in a professional manner.

In my case I'm not a novice in this area, but others who are will not be dealt with in a professional manner.
And you have then?
Swap it out as not fit for purpose. If it's a Freesat TV that can't receive BBC HD, it's obviously just that.

I’m not sure that it’s possible to state that LG TVs have a Freesat issue per se, because in this thread, from what I can see, @digipython had listed his 43UM7500PLA, which, as I understand it, is an older LG TV, and @Bigfish100 has reported an issue but hasn’t provided any model details. All mass-produced electronics will have its share of faults, but thus far there’s noting in this thread that suggests a significant problem. @manysolo’s report in the LG TV forum of a similar issue again refers to an older LG TV model, so I wonder if the newer TVs are dealing with some sort of marginal condition that the older sets can’t handle, a bit like Panasonic Freesat PVRs not being able to deal with the changes that happened to ITVHD a while back. It’s a concern, for sure, but ultimately if Joe or Josephine Customer has gone above and beyond and can demonstrate an issue, then he/she should either arrange for a refund/replacement or live with the fault. I know what I’d do in such circumstances...

Clem

As I stated all other channels work perfectly only BBC HD is scrambled.
Well if all the ITV channels are OK (you'd probably need to tune in non-freesat mode to get all or select suitable postcodes for the regional variants) it's something to do with the receiver and BBC picture encoding at their duplicated Code & Mux centres (not the transponder transmission mode). LG would need to ask them (BBC) for help in understanding what and why this is happening on that model/range of set/tuner only.

You could try reporting a fault via BBC - Reception - Help Receiving TV and Radio but you'll get pretty short shrift I expect - as you admit it's only affecting one of the two LG TVs you own!

If you have an investigative streak in you try things like reducing the signal input level to the TV to see if some 'overload' of its tuner is creating errors not shown up on the metering.
You might also try it on a different dish/lnb in case there's something like, say, cross-polar noise due to a small skew difference on your dish giving the breakup?

Best advice is to stop wasting your time and reject the set. Then buy something else! It should be an easy fault to demonstrate to the retailer!

NB The transmission mode the BBC use now is the one that ITV adopted much earlier for HD, and caused issues on some Panasonic receivers. Some users found a workaround of sorts involving a slight frequency mis-tune if I remember correctly. (Search if interested - think it was on Digital Spy, with the 'fix' repeated on here).

A few people with the Panasonic ITV problem successfully claimed against retailers in the small claims court.

This LG problem has different symptoms but could well be the same faulty chips in some models that Panasonic (and some Sony) sets used.

So i'mm not alone.
I have the 43UM7600 (UM are 2019 models)
Latest firmware and BBC and ITV HD breaks up along with their children's counterparts.
Interestingly manually tuning in Channel4HD works fine iirc.

I have an older Panasonic set with the ITV-HD problem (BBC HD channels work fine on that and my old FoxSatHD perfectly for all HD channels).

So it has to be an LG problem. Probably not cropping up a lot as most will use Freeview.

:-(
Currently sent an email to LG.

Could be something marginal that the TV doesn’t like. It’s worth checking your cabling and so forth. I don’t use Freesat much on my 2019 LG, but when I used a couple of weeks ago to watch the last two episodes of Spiral on BBC4HD I was blown away by the picture quality — far better than the FreeviewHD channel. For the life of me I can’t see how to manually tune in C4HD though. That said, what happens if you manually tune the channels that are breaking-up? Have you checked the signal quality and strength for the offending channels by transponder? I certainly wouldn’t dismiss the idea that you have a faulty TV, but if it was batch-related or widespread there would be more reports/complaints about it, and I haven’t seen many at all, either in AVF or Digital Spy. You either have a duff unit, which a swap-out will confirm, or a local issue of some sort. Pick the easiest option: get a decent local installer to take a look or swap the TV. You only have these choices unless you decide to keep it.

Clem

No problem with my 2019 LG OLED55C9PLA. Connected to same dish as my other 2 Humax Freesat+ pvrs.

Hi

Very similar problem in Devon. I'll try giving LG a call in the coming days. Does anyone know if it's. Hardware or a software issue at stake?

Ben

Same model? Any particular pattern, for example does the issue only occur at certain times of the day, does the break-up start immediately on viewing, or after a period of time, or after a particular set of circumstances, such as a switch between Freeview and Freesat, use of HDMI ports, etc.?

Clem

same problem here. Bristol, using a Sky satellite dish, 43UM7390PLC. Only just purchased so could still return, but we really like the design and features of the TV so would rather keep same model. so far have discovered that BBC2 HD and ITV HD are both scrambled, although other HD channels seem to work OK.

not tried any detailed analysis or troubleshooting yet - just came on here to see if anyone else found the same problem. will try and have a look tonight and report back.

perhaps rather strangely we're actually not too fussed about the HD signal quality, and we don't generally watch the live channels all that often. So (shock horror) I might just put up with it and reprogram the channel list so the SD channels appear in the list instead of the HD ones. apologies if that goes against the general ethos of this forum....!

Scrambled?

Hi, same issue her with new LG UM7100PLB today. My Samsung Freesat box picks up all channels fine, the LG is "scrambled" (moving pixels on screen with occasional partial picture and sound garbled) on some HD channels only.

For me this is on BBC2HD, BBC1HD, BBC4HD, ITVHD, BBCScotland HD, ITVHD, BBC News HD, CBBC HD.

These HD channels work ok: Channel 5 HD, S4C HD, Quest HD, Freesports HD, Daystar HD,

Update, on reading post #15 on the other thread mentioned by clem_ dye above I unplugged a HDMI cable from my Blu-ray player and it solved the problem.....

or so I thought... Turned TV off, turned on and problem was back with HDMI cable still unplugged, any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Too many posts now from UM TV owners. This is beginning to sound like a hardware, software or combination issue to me. Talk to the retailer from where you bought the TV, see what they say, talk to LG. Ultimately, if other DSAT kit works fine and the LG doesn’t then the LG is duff and not fit for purpose.

Clem

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom