LG Freesat 2012 models

J4CK DANIELS

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this has already been mentioned on here but set up an 860V in store the other day and came across a satellite connection on the back?!? Plugged it into the store sat feed and to my shock/joy/surprise it found loads of Freesat channels?!?!?!

I guess LG don't officially support Freesat (after the mess with a model a few years ago not updating to get iplayer) so maybe they are just keeping it quiet?!?

Does anyone else know which other models do this?!?! What a lovely little gem for 860 owners?!?

LG doesn't seem to mention the tuners in their sets - I read in a review about LG having FTA sat. tuner and even the reviewer wasn't aware of it.

I guess LG don't officially support Freesat (after the mess with a model a few years ago not updating to get iplayer) so maybe they are just keeping it quiet?!?

Does anyone else know which other models do this?!?! What a lovely little gem for 860 owners?!?

860V and 960V UK models and any European model ending in S (which is most of them) have a built in HD satillite tuner, but it is NOT Freesat.
LG are not unofficially supporting Freesat, two models have a generic satillite tuner that is all, it really isn't that big a deal.

Last edited:
Zeroturn said:
860V and 960V UK models and any European model ending in S (which is most of them) have a built in HD satillite tuner, but it is NOT Freesat.
LG are not unofficially supporting Freesat, two models have a generic satillite tuner that is all, it really isn't that big a deal.

Sure, I realise it's not officially Freesat but a nice bonus if you've got a couple of spare LNBs?!
(what channels CAN'T you get that Freesat has though? I saw lots of ones I recognised when I tuned it in?)

Sure, I realise it's not officially Freesat but a nice bonus if you've got a couple of spare LNBs?!
(what channels CAN'T you get that Freesat has though? I saw lots of ones I recognised when I tuned it in?)
What's the difference between FTA and Freesat? (and Freesat from sky?)

Yes I agree it could come in useful for some people, especially if they are into foreign channels. It will still be able to receive all the Freesat channels but they won't be on a nice easy to navigate EPG with 7 days of info, it won't automatically retune if a channel is moved, added or its frequency is changed. You would have to organise the channel list yourself and if you retuned you would then lose all your settings. There would be no interactive Red button service news, sports multiscreen, different commentaries, etc. You could still watch these streams on the 860/960 but you would have to tune them in or find them after a channel search.

A sky box (with a card) is very similar to Freesat and you actually get more channels on the EPG. But Freesat easily beats Sky if you want to record, there are a few very good twin tuner Freesat PVR's available, if you want to record Freesat channels on a Sky + box you will have to pay them for the privilege or subscribe.

I believe the Samsung and Panasonic Freesat TV's have single tuner PVR capabilities if you connect up a HDD and I know the Panasonic's will let you time slip and rewind live TV. (better off with a proper PVR though)

You can of course go into Non-Freesat (other channels) mode with a Freesat STB, PVR or TV and pick up every free to air channel on your chosen satellites. (this is basically the same as the 860/960)

So yes having a HD sat tuner on a TV is nice but having an actual Freesat TV can be a little more user friendly for most people.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom