LG EG960V owners and discussion thread

Just watched my first HDR content. Exodus. Never thought there would be much difference between 4k and HDR. How wrong was I. Cant explain it really but it's as if everything came to life. So natural like real life. Any more good HDR demos about?

Just watched my first HDR content. Exodus. Never thought there would be much difference between 4k and HDR. How wrong was I. Cant explain it really but it's as if everything came to life. So natural like real life. Any more good HDR demos about?

Almost looks 3d doesn't it? It's amazing. the contrast in colours is breathtaking....

there is also a 8minute youtube movie called 'Into the cave of wonders'.. that's amazing too... Mind you, i'm spoilt as i've seen that cave for real....

Evening all

I have read the majority of this thread a wanted to pass on my current experience with the HDMI 2.0a compatibility confusion on the EG960V.......

I purchased the 65EG960V in November last year from John Lewis and the LG rep told me it was fully compliant with HDR both streaming and from an HDMI source. having read this thread and investigated my TV set, my model is a ZA October 2015 build and i've updated to the latest firmware which is 40.00.70.

Last night i emailed the LG support team with my serial number to get clarification on whether my TV has an HDMI 2.0a port, if not would firmware upgrade come to enable it, and lastly if the firmware upgrade is not an option (which i doubt it would be) would they replace the hardware (Like the ZD model) and below is the reply i got today:

Hi there James
Thank you for your email.
I would be more than happy to assist you with this.

I can confirm that our EC, EF and EG series TV's are HDMI 2.0a compliant, and this will work with your model TV.

I hope you are happy with the service I have personally provided, if you are, please take the time to fill out a short survey at the bottom of this email. It is based solely on my efforts for you. I appreciate all feedback given!

Should you need any more assistance, you can reply to this email by clicking the additional questions link above the survey.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards
Ben
LG Electronics UK Help desk

However, based on the information above i still don't believe them, so to that extent i called John Lewis and asked their technical team the same question and they came back and said my TV is not HDMI 2.0a compatible and wouldn't be....with that feedback in mind, i spoke with customer services and being John Lewis they are refunding me and picking up the TV Wednesday....im now looking at the Flat Screen 65EF950V that comes with the HDMI 2.0a...it might seen extreme to some but spending a small fortune i want to have the functionality....

I will keep you updated on what i do and will be keeping a close eye on the progress of the thread.

So fed up of LG Support. Every time I speak to them, I get a different answer. Time to speak to trading standards. I'll let you know how I get on.

My blu ray player has died. Can anyone recommend a good replacement?

The new Samsung UHD Blu-ray player has just been released in the US, so it could be out here pretty soon. Give your TV some high bitrate goodness. :lesson:

Almost looks 3d doesn't it? It's amazing. the contrast in colours is breathtaking....
Yes so much depth. Wish the HDR content would hurry up.

Also contacted UK consumer TV show Watchdog in the hope that they can help. Hopefully they find the story interesting enough to get us some justice!

Hi. Do any of the 2015 LG OLED models meet the new UHD standard without obviously being badged as so?

Google Translated as:

Imagine you have a device with a number of features, and months later, a new batch of the same model adds a very important feature that you can never enjoy. What job, right?That's just what happens to the owners of the LG EG960V-ZA, a version of a television offering compatibility with HDR formats only by USB and streaming , but they saw as others who bought the same television months later could enjoy HDR on HDMI.

The difference was in the motherboard. Newer models (called EG960V-ZD) included a new version with HDMI 2.0 and a new firmware that allowed HDR formats play through that port. As expected, users are not going to stay with folded arms, and began to gather the affected across different platforms, one forum ForoDVD . LG reference had Nordics had confirmed the problem in Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark and Iceland, and was committed to replace the plates of the users concerned, so there was hope.And they succeeded.

23105438013_cf2aa2dfed_o.jpg

Today, LG Spain is accepting requests from users who demand the replacement of the "damn plate", from an EG960V-ZA to ZD EG960V-no cost, and although it has required the intervention and insistence of users, is excellent news to see how the manufacturer offers support they expected. So you know, if the sticker on the back of your TV matches the EG960V-ZA, it would be good idea would contact LG which to effect change. Not only have HDMI HDR (to enjoy a Blu-Ray with HDR, for example), but also to get the latest firmware available for display.

Well this is called setting a precedence, and I have now emailed LG UK support with the above. I have also asked that they escalate this to a management executive level. Let's see what they say now... If LG Nordics and Spain can do it, so can and should LG UK...

Suggest owners, cut n paste the above link to LG support..

Let's get this momentum going.. :)

Looks like I started a shitstorm for LG...hehe

Just about to order this TV so thought I'd ask LG the question on HDMI 2.0a before a made my purchase, this is what the reply a got today...

There are two versions of this TV, the 55EG960V-ZA and the 55EG960V-ZD. Both of these models support HDR via streaming, however only the 55EG960V-ZD supports HDMI 2.0a and therefore HDR through HDMI.

Hope this helps.

I can't get my message to submit on the LG website?

Has anybody had WiFi connectivity issues with their 960V? It seems that I have to manually connect to my router every morning now when I get up. Been like it since I upgraded to 4.00.70 or whatever the last firmware was.

Mine has been solid, has never dropped at all.. I'm running a Netgear Nighthawk but using the 2g and not 5g signal. My distance is about 30 feet away and a brickwall or two between them... Haven't heard of WIFI problems with this telly to be fair... I'll have a look at my settings on the TV later and post up a picky.... just in case you have something else turned off or on as the case may be..

Just thought I'd share this...chocolate teapots come to mind...

Good afternoon Rob,

I hope this email gets to you safely.

Thank you for your email. I am so sorry to hear you have felt the need to bring this up with trading standards and Watchdog.

With this, unfortunately we have no information on if we at LG UK will be offering this upgrade that LG branches in Sweden and Spain seem to be doing. I can completely understand your frustration that LG UK are not doing this currently, whereas other LG branches are doing this upgrade.

I do sincerely apologise for this, but if this would be going ahead for ourselves, the upper management of LG UK will make the official announcement of this, and we will then, in turn, get passed this information, so that we may advise our customers accordingly

I can't get my message to submit on the LG website?

Dup post

Ugh, 'I hope this e-mail gets to you safely', meaningless guff.

Every EG960 owner needs to be getting in touch with LG UK. Perhaps one of the AVF team could e-mail the head of LG UK's OLED department (forget his name) on behalf of owners? They've contacted him previously to clarify details on the 2016 sets, so perhaps he would be willing to help in the matter if he can see that quite a few owners are not wanting to be short-changed after giving LG their money and buying their products. Of course there's no "entitlement" that the sets get upgraded; that was never promised. But as people have said, the fact other territories are offering the upgrades means LG UK should be doing something.

Chaps, I have a couple of questions which are puzzling me..

1. How do you know if the 3d filter is properly aligned or not if the case may be? What gives it away? The only 3d discs I have are Dredd, and the two Avenger's movies. The 3d seems fine to me (no expert on this matter though)

2. What is 3d cross talk and how will I know if it's an issue?

thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom