LG EG960V/EF950 Vs LG 2017

OC2000

Established Member
Reaction score
I currently own the LG 65EG960V and am looking to replace it. I have over the past couple of months owned the 75" Sony ZD9 which for the first time clearly distinguished the difference between SDR and HDR. The HDR was amazing.

While I did the ZD mainboard upgrade to get HDR via HDMI on the 960V I failed to notice HDR as it didn't look any different to SDR (due to its low Nits).

Unfortunately I had 2 faulty Sets of the ZD9 and am receiving a refund tomorrow and with Black Friday now on the LG 77G7 is now within budget as an alternative to the 75" ZD9.

My question is for those that have owned both the 960V or 950F and a 2017 LG OLED

Was the HDR difference night and day? I will mainly be using HDR for the Xbox one X and PS4 Pro in a dark room. Using the Sony ZD9, the HDR quality was superb, however I am concerned the LG 2017 models will suffer with HDR gaming due to the low Nits at anything over 10% window over a period of time.

I don't even notice HDR on the PS4 Pro with the 960V so before considering the 2017 LG I wanted to hear your thoughts.

Thanks

@raymondo77 has had both and seems to enjoy his gaming so he'll probably be able to offer an unbiased opinion.

As good as the 2015 sets are in the majority of instances, they were developed when HDR was still in its infancy, so things like tone mapping weren't really considered properly, and obviously as you say, they're much dimmer than more recent sets. IIRC, the 950/960 are around 450 nits, while 2017 sets are generally 700-800+ nits. While I don't think that translates as twice as bright, HDR in general is a big improvement, so while you won't get your retinas burned out in the same was as with the ZD9, I can't recall any 2017 owners complaining about their sets not being bright enough for HDR. Anyway, as a lowly 2016 owner, I'll step aside and let the 2017 owners chip in ;) but even the 2016s were quite a noticeable improvement; you can definitely tell when something is in HDR as opposed to SDR. The 77G7 is a great price, very envious if you do decide to pick one up :smashin:

Simon is right, it's not twice as bright. But, the 2015 models (the five sets I had, anyway) really struggled with HDR, it's implemented much better on the 2017 sets - as long as you use the Dynamic Contrast feature (which activates some dynamic tone mapping thingy) then HDR is bright and punchy on my C7.

However, the ZD9 is still - I think - the brightest set on the market and the OLEDs just can't compete with it in terms of the specular highlights so you may still be disappointed.

Thanks for the advice. The punchiness is what I am looking for. While the ZD9 certainly had that brightness, it came at the cost of showing DSE in 50% of the content I watched.

Raymondo, Maybe you could also shed some light into a couple of other things the 960V does that I was hoping was addressed in the newer models.

In dark scenes, Shadows are very pixelated (is it called macro blocking?). It is as though i'm watching a VCD. Additionally each side of the screen is completely black with just an oval type shape of viewing as if it was shot in a cave.

Did you notice this with the 960V and if so has it been improved in the 2017 models?

Thanks again in advance.

Thanks for the advice. The punchiness is what I am looking for. While the ZD9 certainly had that brightness, it came at the cost of showing DSE in 50% of the content I watched.

Raymondo, Maybe you could also shed some light into a couple of other things the 960V does that I was hoping was addressed in the newer models.

In dark scenes, Shadows are very pixelated (is it called macro blocking?). It is as though i'm watching a VCD. Additionally each side of the screen is completely black with just an oval type shape of viewing as if it was shot in a cave.

Did you notice this with the 960V and if so has it been improved in the 2017 models?

Thanks again in advance.

What you're describing there are macro-blocking (the pixelisation near-black) and vignette (dark edges). The former is completely resolved now, any noise near black is generally now the source. In terms of vignette, there's still a chance you'll have some, but I have none at all and I think if it's there these days it's slight and sometimes the reverse - where the edges can be slightly lighter than the centre. I have never experienced that myself though.

Other improvements include:
  • The responsiveness of WebOS
  • Dolby Vision is nice to have (although some Netflix shows have issues)
  • Less aggressive ABL so when there's a full white screen it doesn't look dull

On the whole it's a substantial leap from the 2015 sets, in my opinion.

@yandybox recently went from a EF950 (the flat version of the EG960) to either a C7 or E7, and as far as I'm aware he's very happy with the upgrade.

Yeah @OC2000 @raymondo77 is right, the near black blockiness is fixed on the 2017 models, I had a 950 and saw a lot of near black content, watching the same on the C7 and it's great, no issues. Vignetting is totally gone on my set, so clean, believe me I know where to look.

HDR is a lot better too, near black scenes are cleaner and are not as dark (some scenes in comparison just looked dull) as the 2015 sets showed. Brighter too as mine is 800 nits but that doesn't "feel" twice as bright as the 950 but it shows scenes very close to how they should look, at least the 1000 nit content.

Don't get me wrong, at the time the 950/960's were good tv's if you got a good one that is, but they have definitely improved things, even more if you have skipped a generation like me.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I went ahead and bought the LG 77" G7.

My only dilemma now is I paid for the wall mounting service at Currys only to realise the only wall mount compatible with the G7 77" specifically states its for a concrete wall only. Mine is a stud wall.

Guess it is something ill have to look into later.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I went ahead and bought the LG 77" G7.

My only dilemma now is I paid for the wall mounting service at Currys only to realise the only wall mount compatible with the G7 77" specifically states its for a concrete wall only. Mine is a stud wall.

Guess it is something ill have to look into later.

77" is 55kg I think, you want to be safe and sure. Maybe look into a cantilever stand?

Would prefer not to use a cantilever as I have a TV cabinet beneath it already. The only purpose for wall mounting it would be to free up some space in the TV cabinet and put the centre speaker on top of the tv cabinet rather than on the bottom shelf.

I am probably over complicating things, so will speak to a professional once the TV arrives. At least I can make sure it fully works on it's stand first, before mounting it.

Understandable, but some cantilever stands can be bought with a cabinet below in mind and still be pretty close to the wall. If the wall mount is not an option then that would be second choice before settling on a stand. But yes, getting a proffesional opinion is better.

Prob is, most cantilever stands only go up to 190cm.

Prob is, most cantilever stands only go up to 190cm.

Thats not a problem with the LG G7 as the VESA mount is at the bottom of the TV

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom