LG EG910V

should i cancel my 930 order and wait for this?

If you're in no rush, wait until IFA which starts in the first week of September. Although the products shown and release dates are not definitive, it's a decent enough indication as to the future of product releases.

Be aware of the fact though that the price of the EC930 may INCREASE or DECREASE, as we have seen fluctuations over the past few weeks in prices. Also bare in mind that they may just stop production of the set, meaning if you're not happy with what you see at IFA, you'll be in a bit of a conundrum if you're desperate to get this set now

What are the chances of them improving the tint on this one?
5ef2fa747d3a5d684ae67bdc7236e6d4.png

Good to see LG are continuing with the 1080p HD OLED's and that the 930 wasn't just a 'one off' before moving on to 4k. 4k doesn't really interest me and I'm unlikely to ever go to a 65" TV to reap the benefits. This may well be the next TV for me when we move into a new house in early 2016 - I just wish there was a flat version.

So a couple of questions.

1. Are we likely to see any flat 55" 1080p OLED TV's (like we are with future 4k models?).

2. If so, what other manufacturers are likely to fill this gap - Panasonic?

when is this set likely to go on sale, i was told early September is this true?

Good to see LG are continuing with the 1080p HD OLED's and that the 930 wasn't just a 'one off' before moving on to 4k. 4k doesn't really interest me and I'm unlikely to ever go to a 65" TV to reap the benefits. This may well be the next TV for me when we move into a new house in early 2016 - I just wish there was a flat version.

So a couple of questions.

1. Are we likely to see any flat 55" 1080p OLED TV's (like we are with future 4k models?).

2. If so, what other manufacturers are likely to fill this gap - Panasonic?

Dont Seem to be anymore flat 1080p oleds in the making. That is now a dying resolution.

I'd argue that full HD sets are good for the next 3-5 years, 4k formats and specs are yet to be agreed there is next to zero 4k content at the moment and when it does come you will have to have optical cable and >50-100 broadband speed. Unless you sit 4 feet away from a 4k tv the human eye cant notice the difference. yes up scaling to 4k can be good but you cant notice the difference at normal viewing distances. The time to buy future proof 4k will be in 2-3 years time at a minimum. im your into high end gaming and have 1000 plus new 4k graphix card then 4k maybe for you right now, but for normal viewing i say theres no need.

I'd argue that full HD sets are good for the next 3-5 years, 4k formats and specs are yet to be agreed there is next to zero 4k content at the moment and when it does come you will have to have optical cable and >50-100 broadband speed. Unless you sit 4 feet away from a 4k tv the human eye cant notice the difference. yes up scaling to 4k can be good but you cant notice the difference at normal viewing distances. The time to buy future proof 4k will be in 2-3 years time at a minimum. im your into high end gaming and have 1000 plus new 4k graphix card then 4k maybe for you right now, but for normal viewing i say theres no need.

Purely for reference, if you have 20/20 vision, you'd have to sit closer than 210cm to resolve above 1080p resolution on a 55" set.

But then there's HDR, but as you say, there isn't really a hell of a lot of content yet.

Steve W

why cant this tv be released already (in an american accent)

Punctuation, sir!

"Why cant this tv be released, already!"

That comma makes all the difference.

:D

Steve W

They may have sorted screen tint, and its got a 3 core processor so webs should be slicker? lets wait and see, these 2 new models are being pedalled as budget oleo's so they may have cut corners elsewhere

One less HDMI port for starters.

4k formats are agreed the only confusion really is around HDR, there's loads of 4k content on YouTube, Netflix, Amazon now and bluray later this year (oh and BT already have a 4k channel), you don't need an optical cable and you don't need to be sitting within 4 ft to see the difference, at least get your facts right if you're gonna argue 1080p is good enough for the next 3-5 years which IMO is a ridiculous thing to say as 4k is such an improvement over 1080p (especially from most sources i.e. Pretty much everything apart from bluray disc) it's daft ignoring it and it is here now in enough quantity to make a 4k display worth having

Only it isn't, is it.

BT, Amazon, Netflix are only any good for people with fast enough broadband, and there are people here with BT Infinity who've been told there connection isn't fast enough.

And BT are broadcasting a grand total of one match/race/whatever per week.

The reason 4K looks so good on steamed services is because their 1080p stream is so heavily compressed (see AVF's review of House of Cards 4K vs Blu-Ray.

1080p is good enough for the next 5 years because you've probably been watching 2k at the cinema for the last decade, on a massive screen.

Yes the 4' comment doesn't hold (and oven pointed out the truth), but I believe it as a calculated overstatement.

Steve W

Seems that EG910 will be very "cheap" here in Finland, its listed 2298€ and not stock yet.

Only it isn't, is it.

1080p is good enough for the next 5 years because you've probably been watching 2k at the cinema for the last decade, on a massive screen.

Steve W

1080p is good enough, what are we thinking? For me on a 55" tv I can clearly see the picture make up at 20cm, 4K I can see the picture make up clearly at 10cm. So unless I get a bigger TV 1080p is fine.

HDR is a method I have used in photography, so basic two pictures at different exposers combined, with the aim of maintaining detail by compressing dynamic range (contrast). So OLED has great contrast already so surely only needs to support the encoding. Don't mistake brightness for good dynamic range.

So basically the next useful feature is a greater frame rate say 1080p at 60fps, sadly this does not seam on the cards.

Computer and gamers 4k is a real bonus and I guess will drive many down this route.

910 price gone up now here in Norway 300 more than the 930

I saw the 55 inch version of this LG tv yesterday and the picture was outstanding.my current tv is a Samsung 60 inch plasma so I could nt take a step down in size but the 65 inch LG is £5000 .as has already been stated that content is severely lacking until hd blu ray comes along (or whatever they are calling it lol) as tempting as an upgrade is.....I'm gonna have to sit and stew for 1/2 years until.the prices and specs etc have settled,I'm just really hope LG keep making oled tvs (are nt they the only company making them?)

.....I'm gonna have to sit and stew for 1/2 years until.the prices and specs etc have settled,I'm just really hope LG keep making oled tvs (are nt they the only company making them?)

See here!

Graham.

I'll post this in both threads...
A user of german hifi-forum went to a nearby Mediamarkt store, equipped with some slides and video files to check out the new LG 55EG910V Full HD OLED TV and LG 55EG920V 4K OLED TV.

Photos can be seen here: LG 55EG910 (1080p) und 55EG920 (UHD), Nachfolger des EC930, LG - HIFI-FORUM (Seite 4) (First 3 pics the EG920, 2nd half the EG910)
Those pics remind me of what the 55EC930 (pink tint) and the EG960 (a bit of yellowing in the centre of the screen as seen on ray's set) look like.
webOS 2.0 menu navigation on the EG920 feels a bit smoother than on the EG910, though it's not like the EG910 is slow.
The EG920 plays HEVC files (the EG910 doesn't) and, as we know, comes with HDR support right out of the box. There was no problem with the playback of the Life of Pi 4K HDR demo HEVC file (including a "HDR active" popup).

Very interesting - the price marked up there is 2,499 Euros, which is around £1,850.

If it's that at launch, it should be sub-£1,500 before Christmas.

I wouldn't take those screen pics too seriously. Some forum member who we don't know (and whose anti-LG/anti-OLED prejudices we don't know, if s/he has any), on a shop floor, with a USB stick that wasn't working properly, taking pics on a camera phone of an uncalibrated set.

Wait for the professional reviews - I've no doubt this is one of the first thing the reviewers will be looking at.

We'll know sooner rather than later, then decide whether the extra £5k for the Panny is worth it.

Steve W

Buyers are going be faced with a dilema , and extra 1000 gbp or so for 4k and HDR over the full HD set, especially if the 920 comes down to 2500 before Christmas,

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom