LG EF950v Owners and Discussion Thread - Part 4

those blobs wont be affected by compensation cycles, it looks to me like layer damage, if it cant be seen in normal viewing I guess it can be ignored but I suspect it will be noticable.

Watched a few blurays yesterday while off work and for the first time in a while I am considering an upgrade.
Basically any film without inky blacks just looks naff on my 950.
The blacks in Hanna looked horrendous

3D just looks too good on mine to even consider replacing it for a new 2D model, only badly mastered or compressed material looks bad on my TV, it will likely look better on a newer model but not significantly I dont think, a poor picture will still be a poor picture, some blurays are badly mastered or not mastered for OLED

3D just looks too good on mine to even consider replacing it for a new 2D model, only badly mastered or compressed material looks bad on my TV, it will likely look better on a newer model but not significantly I dont think, a poor picture will still be a poor picture, some blurays are badly mastered or not mastered for OLED
Finding older Blurays which are obviously mastered using led/lcd panels are not great but newer stuff is pretty good.
Don't think it helps that I've only been watching UHDs for the past few months.

most blurays ive seen recently have been ok, my main issues are streamed TV shows, they are unwatchable sometimes, the last game of thrones season was awful no matter where I watched it, I also downloaded some rips.

Snowpeicer is still the torture test bluray for me, it still looked pretty awful on a 2018 OLED, dont know anyone who has a 2019 model to try.

These scenes in particular.

Last edited:
Sorry if this is covered elsewhere but has anyone experiences sound dropouts with this tv? Happens mostly on digital tv. It almost goes to no volume then comes back. Can happen multiple times a minute.
Using optical out to SR6006 receiver.
Thanks

Last edited:
Dont think i've heard of that particular issue, does it stop if you just use the TV speakers, if so it could be a duff cable?

doesnt that amp have a HDMI audio return channel?

I’ve gone back to ARC although I must have switched to optical for a reason. Probably the same one. Or that it messed up my harmony remote due to control features.

I’ll see how it goes. Cheers

hi, MKV is a wrapper not a type of decode as such, you can wrap lots of different encoding types into an MKV file which is why some will play and some wont. For instance by h264 encoded files and H265/hevc encloded files can both be wrapped into an MKV format, however you'll need hardware decoding abilities on the device to play them smoothly.

You can also encode different audio types to, like stereo,. ATMOS, DTS etc etc, could be this TV doesnt support something you are chucking at it.

I also find this on some uhd bluray remux i download. The issue is you don't know how they have been encoded and if the tv will play them. Sometimes the picture works but not the audio.

Download VLC player on a laptop and play one you know works and view its codec settings. Then you can check others but sadly not till you downloaded them.

the TV probs doesnt have atmos or dts x decoding as it doesnt need it so it is llikely some of the movies encoded for these might not play, ive never tried it, I always use my HTPC and KODI DS player as my main player.

Just to be clear, no talk of illegal downloads allowed

Hi All,

So my (not so) trusty 950v is in for repair for the 2nd time with Currys. After a screen replacement for image retention in January, the TV has now stopped working altogether. The light at the bottom comes up, and you can hear the initial click, but nothing can then be seen on the screen. Has anyone else's 950v had the same/similar issue and if so what was the outcome? Did the set get repaired or replaced? Really annoyed as the new screen had bedded in nicely....

How easy was it to get Currys to accept a screen burn repair?

I dont thinks its a common occurance but you might get a brand new TV out of it, if you dont have any 3D movies this might do you a favour.

if mine goes out of warranty i'll be looking for a used E/G6 as I have loads of 3D movies and HDR just doesnt cut it for me, i've seen it on a high end samsung Q85r and it doesnt look that much better than this TV in that HDR just isnt that impressive to me compared to a well made and masted 3D movie.

Hello, I’m new on this forum and I have an issue with my 55ef950v. The tv seems to be « locked » in stand by mode. When I try to turn on the tv, the led is blinking but nothing happened ... is this a common problem ? Does anyone has an idea for fixing this ?
thanks a lot

Hello, I’m new on this forum and I have an issue with my 55ef950v. The tv seems to be « locked » in stand by mode. When I try to turn on the tv, the led is blinking but nothing happened ... is this a common problem ? Does anyone has an idea for fixing this ?
thanks a lot
How many times does it blink? It's normally a bad board, but finding out which one to order a replacement is a pain.

How many times does it blink? It's normally a bad board, but finding out which one to order a replacement is a pain.

When the tv is on stand by the logo lg at the bottom is lighted, and when I try to start tv, it’s blinking once briefly. And nothing happens and get back to stank by mode (not sur it’s stand by mode but looks like)

Hi there, we have an LG 65 EF950v and due to a room rearrangement are hoping to wall mount it for the first time. It looks like it is not possible to buy the official OTW150 mount any more. Does any one have one for sale please? If not, can anyone talk me slowly through the adaptor I would need to fit it using a standard VESA mount please? Thanks very much.

hi, its not a heavy TV, just use the two top screws as they are standard VESA fitting, that will be enough

So I recently got my TV back from Currys because of screenburn - they repaired it and obviously it came back with all default settings.

Since then I can't get sound from the TV netflix app to my Denon receiver. Just spent a few minutes changing HDMI port and got Netflix sound at the expense of the TV being recognised as a second PC monitor.

What TV port should the HDMI cable be from TV into receivers "monitor arc" port? And how do I get the TV to keep being recognised as a second monitor?

Do I need to configure anything else like SIMPLINK?

Prior to the repair everything "just worked", the TV remote could be used to change volume of receiver etc

Edit:

So currently I have a HDMI cable from PC into the "media player" port of the receiver. I also have a HDMI cable from "monitor arc" on receiver into HDMI 3 on TV. HDMI3 is the only port that lets me run 2160p as a "native" PC desktop resolution and thus enable "RGB" and "Full" colour modes on the Nvidia control panel. I can't get sound from TV Netflix to the receiver.

If I plug the "monitor arc" cable into HDMI 2 then I can get Netflix sound but I can't run 2160p as a native resolution on the PC

EDIT 2:

Ok it turns out I needed to turn on HDMI Deep Colour for HDMI 2, now I can get 2160p native PC resolution and netflix audio

Last edited:
So I recently got my TV back from Currys because of screenburn - they repaired it and obviously it came back with all default settings.

Since then I can't get sound from the TV netflix app to my Denon receiver. Just spent a few minutes changing HDMI port and got Netflix sound at the expense of the TV being recognised as a second PC monitor.

What TV port should the HDMI cable be from TV into receivers "monitor arc" port? And how do I get the TV to keep being recognised as a second monitor?

Do I need to configure anything else like SIMPLINK?

Prior to the repair everything "just worked", the TV remote could be used to change volume of receiver etc

Edit:

So currently I have a HDMI cable from PC into the "media player" port of the receiver. I also have a HDMI cable from "monitor arc" on receiver into HDMI 3 on TV. HDMI3 is the only port that lets me run 2160p as a "native" PC desktop resolution and thus enable "RGB" and "Full" colour modes on the Nvidia control panel. I can't get sound from TV Netflix to the receiver.

If I plug the "monitor arc" cable into HDMI 2 then I can get Netflix sound but I can't run 2160p as a native resolution on the PC

EDIT 2:

Ok it turns out I needed to turn on HDMI Deep Colour for HDMI 2, now I can get 2160p native PC resolution and netflix audio
Off topic but did the TV come back without 3D.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom