LG EF950v Owners and Discussion Thread - Part 4

Does someone know why my TV doesn't connect automatically with wi-fi?
I have a 55EF950V and each time I want to connect the television I need to go to settings and select the wi-fi network..
I have a very similar 55EG920V with exactly the same issue. I have never discovered a solution, nor whether some owners never have this issue. I actually suspect every owner has this issue and it's just down to a very bad wifi/network implementation, which LG can't be bothered to fix for this series.

Still loving my EF950V. I will probably upgrade in the next 6 months but I will never part with it because of the 3D. Here's some pics I took with my phone whilst watching Endgame last night :D Panasonic UB820s tone mapping is a game changer :clap:

IMG_20190801_083729.jpg
IMG_20190801_083529.jpg
IMG_20190801_083501.jpg
IMG_20190801_083439.jpg
IMG_20190801_083311.jpg

Me too. @BeardlessKoala What will you upgrade to? I am thinking Pana Gz2000.

I'm leaning towards that one too. Just waiting for the price drops and the shootout results in the next few months. I will miss LG's Web OS but I think the GZ2000 will win in overall picture quality which to me is the most important factor. More important than HDMI 2.1.

How does the 820's tone mapping improve things

Pretty much the same way it improves HDR on most panels with lower nits. Less clipped highlights with more detail as well as less black crush with more shadow detail. I bought the player last year as a way to improve HDR as I was frustrated with how dark the picture could be. Good option for those who are in the same boat but don't want to shell out 2k for a new OLED. The Panny allows you to set what type of display you have for example the Low Luminance setting is a display around 500 nits. It then optimises the HDR based on this setting. If you have a newer, brighter OLED you can set it to OLED which tone maps to 1000 nits. I noticed a difference straight away with the opening scene on the Asgardian ship in Infinity War. Could see a lot more shadow detail and the picture was perceptibly brighter.

Pretty much the same way it improves HDR on most panels with lower nits. Less clipped highlights with more detail as well as less black crush with more shadow detail. I bought the player last year as a way to improve HDR as I was frustrated with how dark the picture could be. Good option for those who are in the same boat but don't want to shell out 2k for a new OLED. The Panny allows you to set what type of display you have for example the Low Luminance setting is a display around 500 nits. It then optimises the HDR based on this setting. If you have a newer, brighter OLED you can set it to OLED which tone maps to 1000 nits. I noticed a difference straight away with the opening scene on the Asgardian ship in Infinity War. Could see a lot more shadow detail and the picture was perceptibly brighter.
For hdr I normally enable dynamic contrast which dramatically improves things however It does introduce brightness fluctuation .
Bought the UB900 player at launch which was mega bucks so don't really want to change it atm.

Last edited:
Just a quick update on the HDR10 Amazon Prime or rather lack of. Just bough my daughter the LG 32LM6300 TV with HDR and tested. Picks up Netflix lovely, no problems at all. Tried on Amazon Prime and no HDR10 despite the TV being capable. Just adds fuel to my fire that Amazon have gone much more down the DV HDR10+ route and despite them saying that the App will pick up an HDR10 TV I don't believe them. This is the same issue for both very differing models of TV.

Just a quick update on the HDR10 Amazon Prime or rather lack of. Just bough my daughter the LG 32LM6300 TV with HDR and tested. Picks up Netflix lovely, no problems at all. Tried on Amazon Prime and no HDR10 despite the TV being capable....
Sufficed to say... Not all 4K UHD content on Amazon offers HDR [HDR10]. One show that definitely does is the 4K version of 'The Grand Tour'...

Also, you must make sure you are accessing content from Amazons dedicated '4K UHD TV' section...

Sufficed to say... Not all 4K UHD content on Amazon offers HDR [HDR10]. One show that definitely does is the 4K version of 'The Grand Tour'...

Also, you must make sure you are accessing content from Amazons dedicated '4K UHD TV' section...
Oh absolutely, I get the 4K UHd but many shows on amazon Prime used to be HDR; Man in the High Castle, Bosch, Grand Tour to name but a few. All still available 4K UHD but no HDR for a long time.

Hi All,

So my (not so) trusty 950v is in for repair for the 2nd time with Currys. After a screen replacement for image retention in January, the TV has now stopped working altogether. The light at the bottom comes up, and you can hear the initial click, but nothing can then be seen on the screen. Has anyone else's 950v had the same/similar issue and if so what was the outcome? Did the set get repaired or replaced? Really annoyed as the new screen had bedded in nicely....

Hi All,

So my (not so) trusty 950v is in for repair for the 2nd time with Currys. After a screen replacement for image retention in January, the TV has now stopped working altogether. The light at the bottom comes up, and you can hear the initial click, but nothing can then be seen on the screen. Has anyone else's 950v had the same/similar issue and if so what was the outcome? Did the set get repaired or replaced? Really annoyed as the new screen had bedded in nicely....
[touch wood] Mine has so far not missed a beat but I remember a few people getting a mix of board replacements and screen replacements for a variety of issues, maybe this time it'll just be a board and won't have to do the screen lottery again. My worry is as we start reaching the end of the Currys cover they may have issues sourcing parts and just do replacements, with the problems that can involve like arguing the difference between your idea of equivalent model and there idea plus not much choice regarding the loosing 3D these days (does anyone still make 3D TVs?).

[touch wood] Mine has so far not missed a beat but I remember a few people getting a mix of board replacements and screen replacements for a variety of issues, maybe this time it'll just be a board and won't have to do the screen lottery again. My worry is as we start reaching the end of the Currys cover they may have issues sourcing parts and just do replacements, with the problems that can involve like arguing the difference between your idea of equivalent model and there idea plus not much choice regarding the loosing 3D these days (does anyone still make 3D TVs?).

To be honest, I'm hoping that they just cut their losses and replace it. For a £2k TV to have to go back twice for repair for different faults is ridiculous. Once its been messed about with it's never going to be the same IMO. I don't really use 3D so wouldn't mind swapping that feature for HDR10 and some of the newer features available. Here's hoping.....

I just watched it the other day and the picture was wonderful. The Panasonic UB820 and it's tone mapping makes such a difference. If you're really struggling with dark HDR and don't want to upgrade your TV then it's a worthwhile investment. I think they're down to £289 now.
How did you setup the 820?

Sorry mate settings, is it just setting it to Oled and messing with the HDR button?

No I set it to basic luminance lcd or projector as the TV is under 500 nits. If I had a newer OLED for example the LG C8 I'd set it to OLED which optimises the HDR for displays up to 1000 nits. Then I turn HDR optimizer on. Sometimes if I find the HDR too dark I increase the dynamic range adjustment for a brighter HDR picture. I've attached a couple of images so you know what to look for. Hope that helps. Just play around until you're happy with the HDR image.

image.jpeg
ac13c4af88eb447d80d67ef26749c414.jpg

No I set it to basic luminance lcd or projector as the TV is under 500 nits. If I had a newer OLED for example the LG C8 I'd set it to OLED which optimises the HDR for displays up to 1000 nits. Then I turn HDR optimizer on. Sometimes if I find the HDR too dark I increase the dynamic range adjustment for a brighter HDR picture. I've attached a couple of images so you know what to look for. Hope that helps. Just play around until you're happy with the HDR image.

View attachment 1189647 View attachment 1189648
Thanks again.
Just read our tv's approx 475nits in HDR so good shout on the basic luminance setting.
Also find the environment setting using the HDR button can drastically improve the overall brightness.
Going to have a play tonight.

Thanks again.
Just read our tv's approx 475nits in HDR so good shout on the basic luminance setting.
Also find the environment setting using the HDR button can drastically improve the overall brightness.
Going to have a play tonight.

Yeah the environment setting increases the dynamic range adjustment setting without going into the menu shown in my previous post. Glad I could help mate

Hi all,

UPDATE: So the EF950 is finally back from Knowhow who diagnosed the issue as a faulty screen. It is now on screen no 3 as a result. After the previous (2nd) screen had settled in, I was pretty happy with the uniformity and banding as they were much better than the original one. I'd be interested to know people's opinions on my new screen's 2% and 4% slides. The 4% looks pretty clean, with little banding. The 2% however doesn't look great to me. I can see what I can only describe as 4 human shaped silhouettes across the screen. Can anyone please recommend some real content e.g. a movie scene that I can use to check?

Any advice appreciated. Long live my 950 mk3!!!

Attachments

• 20190905_215817.jpg
    20190905_215817.jpg
    1,009.9 KB · Views: 108
  • 20190905_205014.jpg
    20190905_205014.jpg
    1,011.2 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
they look bad to me, the blotches i mean, i'd ask for a replacement TV, unless you need 3D, checkout any dark scene really, batman begins cave scene maybe, here is a recent shot of mine, the horizonal blocks are just reflection from the all behind.

Hi all,

UPDATE: So the EF950 is finally back from Knowhow who diagnosed the issue as a faulty screen. It is now on screen no 3 as a result. After the previous (2nd) screen had settled in, I was pretty happy with the uniformity and banding as they were much better than the original one. I'd be interested to know people's opinions on my new screen's 2% and 4% slides. The 4% looks pretty clean, with little banding. The 2% however doesn't look great to me. I can see what I can only describe as 4 human shaped silhouettes across the screen. Can anyone please recommend some real content e.g. a movie scene that I can use to check?

Any advice appreciated. Long live my 950 mk3!!!
Did this improve after a couple of cycles? Seen a few bad shots on replacements in the past that got a lot better once the compensation cycle had run a couple of times.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom