LG EF950v Owners and Discussion Thread - Part 4

dilpz

Standard Member
[touch wood] Mine has so far not missed a beat but I remember a few people getting a mix of board replacements and screen replacements for a variety of issues, maybe this time it'll just be a board and won't have to do the screen lottery again. My worry is as we start reaching the end of the Currys cover they may have issues sourcing parts and just do replacements, with the problems that can involve like arguing the difference between your idea of equivalent model and there idea plus not much choice regarding the loosing 3D these days (does anyone still make 3D TVs?).
To be honest, I'm hoping that they just cut their losses and replace it. For a £2k TV to have to go back twice for repair for different faults is ridiculous. Once its been messed about with it's never going to be the same IMO. I don't really use 3D so wouldn't mind swapping that feature for HDR10 and some of the newer features available. Here's hoping.....

lukather101

I just watched it the other day and the picture was wonderful. The Panasonic UB820 and it's tone mapping makes such a difference. If you're really struggling with dark HDR and don't want to upgrade your TV then it's a worthwhile investment. I think they're down to £289 now.
How did you setup the 820?

BeardlessKoala

Sorry mate settings, is it just setting it to Oled and messing with the HDR button?
No I set it to basic luminance lcd or projector as the TV is under 500 nits. If I had a newer OLED for example the LG C8 I'd set it to OLED which optimises the HDR for displays up to 1000 nits. Then I turn HDR optimizer on. Sometimes if I find the HDR too dark I increase the dynamic range adjustment for a brighter HDR picture. I've attached a couple of images so you know what to look for. Hope that helps. Just play around until you're happy with the HDR image.

image.jpeg
ac13c4af88eb447d80d67ef26749c414.jpg

lukather101

No I set it to basic luminance lcd or projector as the TV is under 500 nits. If I had a newer OLED for example the LG C8 I'd set it to OLED which optimises the HDR for displays up to 1000 nits. Then I turn HDR optimizer on. Sometimes if I find the HDR too dark I increase the dynamic range adjustment for a brighter HDR picture. I've attached a couple of images so you know what to look for. Hope that helps. Just play around until you're happy with the HDR image.

View attachment 1189647 View attachment 1189648
Thanks again.
Just read our tv's approx 475nits in HDR so good shout on the basic luminance setting.
Also find the environment setting using the HDR button can drastically improve the overall brightness.
Going to have a play tonight.

BeardlessKoala

Thanks again.
Just read our tv's approx 475nits in HDR so good shout on the basic luminance setting.
Also find the environment setting using the HDR button can drastically improve the overall brightness.
Going to have a play tonight.
Yeah the environment setting increases the dynamic range adjustment setting without going into the menu shown in my previous post. Glad I could help mate

dilpz

Standard Member
Hi all,

UPDATE: So the EF950 is finally back from Knowhow who diagnosed the issue as a faulty screen. It is now on screen no 3 as a result. After the previous (2nd) screen had settled in, I was pretty happy with the uniformity and banding as they were much better than the original one. I'd be interested to know people's opinions on my new screen's 2% and 4% slides. The 4% looks pretty clean, with little banding. The 2% however doesn't look great to me. I can see what I can only describe as 4 human shaped silhouettes across the screen. Can anyone please recommend some real content e.g. a movie scene that I can use to check?

Any advice appreciated. Long live my 950 mk3!!!

Attachments

Last edited:

mclingo

Distinguished Member
they look bad to me, the blotches i mean, i'd ask for a replacement TV, unless you need 3D, checkout any dark scene really, batman begins cave scene maybe, here is a recent shot of mine, the horizonal blocks are just reflection from the all behind.

ailean

Hi all,

UPDATE: So the EF950 is finally back from Knowhow who diagnosed the issue as a faulty screen. It is now on screen no 3 as a result. After the previous (2nd) screen had settled in, I was pretty happy with the uniformity and banding as they were much better than the original one. I'd be interested to know people's opinions on my new screen's 2% and 4% slides. The 4% looks pretty clean, with little banding. The 2% however doesn't look great to me. I can see what I can only describe as 4 human shaped silhouettes across the screen. Can anyone please recommend some real content e.g. a movie scene that I can use to check?

Any advice appreciated. Long live my 950 mk3!!!
Did this improve after a couple of cycles? Seen a few bad shots on replacements in the past that got a lot better once the compensation cycle had run a couple of times.

mclingo

Distinguished Member
those blobs wont be affected by compensation cycles, it looks to me like layer damage, if it cant be seen in normal viewing I guess it can be ignored but I suspect it will be noticable.

lukather101

Watched a few blurays yesterday while off work and for the first time in a while I am considering an upgrade.
Basically any film without inky blacks just looks naff on my 950.
The blacks in Hanna looked horrendous

mclingo

Distinguished Member
3D just looks too good on mine to even consider replacing it for a new 2D model, only badly mastered or compressed material looks bad on my TV, it will likely look better on a newer model but not significantly I dont think, a poor picture will still be a poor picture, some blurays are badly mastered or not mastered for OLED

lukather101

3D just looks too good on mine to even consider replacing it for a new 2D model, only badly mastered or compressed material looks bad on my TV, it will likely look better on a newer model but not significantly I dont think, a poor picture will still be a poor picture, some blurays are badly mastered or not mastered for OLED
Finding older Blurays which are obviously mastered using led/lcd panels are not great but newer stuff is pretty good.
Don't think it helps that I've only been watching UHDs for the past few months.

mclingo

Distinguished Member
most blurays ive seen recently have been ok, my main issues are streamed TV shows, they are unwatchable sometimes, the last game of thrones season was awful no matter where I watched it, I also downloaded some rips.

Snowpeicer is still the torture test bluray for me, it still looked pretty awful on a 2018 OLED, dont know anyone who has a 2019 model to try.

These scenes in particular.

Last edited:

seang

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere but has anyone experiences sound dropouts with this tv? Happens mostly on digital tv. It almost goes to no volume then comes back. Can happen multiple times a minute.
Using optical out to SR6006 receiver.
Thanks

Last edited:

mclingo

Distinguished Member
Dont think i've heard of that particular issue, does it stop if you just use the TV speakers, if so it could be a duff cable?

doesnt that amp have a HDMI audio return channel?

seang

I’ve gone back to ARC although I must have switched to optical for a reason. Probably the same one. Or that it messed up my harmony remote due to control features.

I’ll see how it goes. Cheers

mclingo

Distinguished Member
hi, MKV is a wrapper not a type of decode as such, you can wrap lots of different encoding types into an MKV file which is why some will play and some wont. For instance by h264 encoded files and H265/hevc encloded files can both be wrapped into an MKV format, however you'll need hardware decoding abilities on the device to play them smoothly.

You can also encode different audio types to, like stereo,. ATMOS, DTS etc etc, could be this TV doesnt support something you are chucking at it.

LeeT350c

Standard Member
I also find this on some uhd bluray remux i download. The issue is you don't know how they have been encoded and if the tv will play them. Sometimes the picture works but not the audio.

Download VLC player on a laptop and play one you know works and view its codec settings. Then you can check others but sadly not till you downloaded them.

mclingo

Distinguished Member
the TV probs doesnt have atmos or dts x decoding as it doesnt need it so it is llikely some of the movies encoded for these might not play, ive never tried it, I always use my HTPC and KODI DS player as my main player.

dr no

Just to be clear, no talk of illegal downloads allowed