• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

LG EF950v owners and discussion thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Limey

Last edited:

steelman1991

Ok folks - think I might have to return the set - I can't get any of those of pesky bands or near black issues and I really feel left out - is it simply a case of calling Curry's and asking them to take it back ;):p

Seriously, Steve (********) just completed another superb calibration - pictures here LG EF950V owners and discussion thread.

The colours, clarity and depth of field of the set just couldn't at this time be any better. The only thing to surpass this would be a larger (77"-80") set - roll on CES. If they come out at a reasonable price I'd buy one in a heartbeat - then I'd put this one in the classifieds and you could all fight over it lol.

Can't recommend Steve's services highly enough, another first class job. Now what to watch first hmmmmm Batman Begins or Interstellar - what a dilemma :smashin:

Last edited:

vaktmestern

Banned
All tvs has a few issues people Get to focused on the negatives they forgot what they got is Fantastic good :cool:

Say No!!! to slides..... :smoke:

Rookies

Distinguished Member
Ok folks - think I might have to return the set - I can't get any of those of pesky bands or near black issues and I really feel left out - is it simply a case of calling Curry's and asking them to take it back ;):p

Seriously, Steve just completed another superb calibration - pictures here LG EF950V owners and discussion thread.

The colours, clarity and depth of field of the set just couldn't at this time be any better. The only thing to surpass this would be a larger (77"-80") set - roll on CES. If they come out at a reasonable price I'd buy one in a heartbeat - then I'd put this one in the classifieds and you could all fight over it lol.

Can't recommend Steve's services highly enough, another first class job. Now what to watch first hmmmmm Batman Begins or Interstellar - what a dilemma :smashin:

Your set looks stunning. So before Steve did his magic did you have banding and near black issues??

steelman1991

steelman1991

Sorry am confuse so you not had any issues at all before calibration?

Yes that's correct - no issues pre-calibration.

Rookies

Distinguished Member

steelman1991

Yes from Curry's - don't know whether they still have exclusivity.

mclingo

Distinguished Member
tested batman begins, Jesus its horrific isn't it, totally unwatchable without crushing the blacks a little at least, really poor source as people say.

All the noise and junk is there on my LCD though, just cant see it as the rest of the picture is so relatively bad in dark scenes you dont notice it.

I think I didnt notice this kind of thing before for two reasons. My previous TV was smaller and i used to always use an ambient backlight to enrich my blacks, I was never able to watch TV in a pitch black room before.

Even with my contrast tweak this looks bad, for this movie alone I had to use my fix and turn on my ambient light, then everything looked good again.

I guess its going to be case of knowing which content you can watch in the dark and which you cannot.

yandybox

Distinguished Member
tested batman begins, Jesus its horrific isn't it, totally unwatchable without crushing the blacks a little at least, really poor source as people say.

All the noise and junk is there on my LCD though, just cant see it as the rest of the picture is so relatively bad in dark scenes you dont notice it.

I think I didnt notice this kind of thing before for two reasons. My previous TV was smaller and i used to always use an ambient backlight to enrich my blacks, I was never able to watch TV in a pitch black room before.

Even with my contrast tweak this looks bad, for this movie alone I had to use my fix and turn on my ambient light, then everything looked good again.

I guess its going to be case of knowing which content you can watch in the dark and which you cannot.

Just have your 2 isf settings setup so one slightly crushes blacks and one where black level is as it should be. Thats what I have.

mclingo

Distinguished Member
Just have your 2 isf settings setup so one slightly crushes blacks and one where black level is as it should be. Thats what I have.

any chance you can post you full settings including these, i want to try something completely different and would like a base to work from.

Matson

Distinguished Member
Had this TV for 3 days now and thought id share what i think about it.
Firstly the bad....
The only one thing that i don't like about this tv is the just above black issues. This seems to be source related though. Yes it might show up pretty bad on this TV but i haven't seen it yet while watching top quality blu rays and 4k content. Its only showed up in SD material and when i stream 720p material from my pc. That means the source is mostly affecting it correct? All the 4k Youtube content iv watched and The Netflix 4k movie i watched last night were perfect and i didn't notice it once.

Thats pretty much the only bad thing i can say about this TV.
The banding is there but its so slight that its not an issue. Iv rarely seen it at all watching normal content.
3D is the best iv seen with no crosstalk at all and a super sharp image thats comfortable on the eyes. I actually want to buy more 3D blu rays which i haven't done in years because its so good on this.

Is the above black issue source related? Does it show up on 4k content and high quality blu rays for anyone else? I tend to just knock the brightness down a few clicks to get rid of it on lower quality content. It might crush the blacks a little but as long as Blu rays and 4k content look amazing i don't mind.

renny

Seriously, Steve (********) just completed another superb calibration - pictures here LG EF950V owners and discussion thread.

Are you sure you're happy with the yellow blob on the 4th picture though? :)

vinnie97

What are your near black issues like after the calibration, any better?
He didn't have any (that he noticed) in the first place. ;) I'm envious of that position. The grayscale banding can drive me batty when it rears its fugly head.

jaxione

******** said:
Wow, this is getting hilarious.

Here's Steelman1991 "problem riddled" set.

As he's suggested it's excellent

Really stunning pictures, you know what you are doing :) And congrats to a beautifully calibrated set Steelman, enjoy! :)

However 4k material do not show the near black issues at all comparing for example Netflix material, I havent seen any banding or blockiness in 4k. That was the discussion. That LG OLEDs are awesome is a fact :)

Because I hope you are not saying that he has one god blessed tv with a different technology suddenly being able to handle near blacks from non pristine sources prefectly?

Br J

rogdodge

I was going to buy this TV but if, as one person reported, "99% of the time the tv looks sick", I may pass.

vinnie97

I think you're definition of "sick" is outdated, though I would preferentially use "wicked" m'self. :p

Jaxione, I don't think he's saying that, and I seem to recall some claiming that inherent vertical banding even showed up on some 4K content at the recent UK shootout. ;)

I think I just blew some of my speakers watching Tron Legacy 3D (don't try this at home, kids). If all the content out there looked that phenomenal and masked the problems at just above black so well, these owner threads would resemble ghost towns.

rogdodge

"Sick" is poorly in any version of the English language and the meaning of the word hasn't changed. If the intention is to say something is good, why not say so in normal English? There is a whole Thesaurus of synonyms for good. :)
Or was the use of "sick" intended to explain how poor the TV was? I give over. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom