Quantcast

LG EA980 Owners Thread

The Limey

I have owned this TV for a few weeks now and so far my impressions are very favourable. It has contrast, black level, and a clarity to die for. It is a very worthy successor to my venerable Pioneer Kuro whose performance it eclipses frankly.
Others have contributed in the pricing threads saying that they too own this set but it would be nice to have a dedicated owners thread. With some on here watching the pricing very closely this weekend, it may well be that come next week that we will have some more owners to compare notes with. In the meantime, anyone else who already owns this TV please feel free to post your thoughts and impressions so far. When mine was delivered a few weeks ago, I noticed 4 more of these OLED sets on the delivery van that were obviously going somewhere...

A.I.

Thanks for starting this thread - I'm really hoping to join pretty soon and look forward to being able to contribute for the benefit of all :)

For Fun -

I'd have loved to see this purported prototype make it !

The Limey

Jumping in, will be officially an owner next Saturday...
Excellent to hear this. I have had nothing but a totally amazing and enjoyable viewing experience to date. Be prepared to be delighted from Saturday....

malky78

I'm guessing that's a week on Saturday? Even paying for delivery, JL seem to take 3+ days.

Teeps18

Standard Member
Yeah, it'll be next Saturday at some stage during the day.

I'll keep people posted of the hands-on experience once it's unpacked and set up.

smokescreen

Limey, I think the day you received yours, I also received mine - one of those 4 was definitely mine :p

Anyway, I hate to be a bore but they really are as good as they're made out to be. Not much to add at this point!

The Limey

Limey, I think the day you received yours, I also received mine - one of those 4 was definitely mine :p

Anyway, I hate to be a bore but they really are as good as they're made out to be. Not much to add at this point!
Sssshhh - don't let Vaktmestern see you praising this OLED set - you must have a dead pixel somewhere? :laugh:

Seriously, I am glad to read that you seem to be getting as much enjoyment out of your set as I am. I was blown away by the PQ on Day One and as I continue to feed it different BDs that process is just continuing. Best TV that I have ever owned and it continues to both delight and amaze. I am also getting requests from the neighbours to come around for viewing sessions too.
Looks as though with the latest price reduction this weekend, a few more will be joining ourselves, (Teeps18 next weekend), and any as yet undeclared lurkers in the ownership stakes. Frankly this is a great set to take anyone through the next 2-3 years while the industry sorts out the direction it finally wants to go in.

smokescreen

I'm not even looking for dead pixels! Mind you on an OLED set I'm sure they'd stick out quite clearly if they do exist.

Just watched a bluray of Tron Legacy. Really didn't think much of that film last time around. Through the OLED - totally different experience.

That's what I forgot to add earlier - as you mentioned - put a decent bluray that's been produced well and prepared to hear 'wow' a lot. Game changer.

smokescreen

Which brings me to another point - I wonder if we should post films on here that are transformed by watching them via OLED instead?

The Limey

Which brings me to another point - I wonder if we should post films on here that are transformed by watching them via OLED instead?
I think that you would fill the thread up quite quickly with the number of BDs that show a PQ improvement via OLED. Mind you, that increased contrast and clarity is not particularly merciful to not so great transfers though...

The Limey

Have you guys watched the dark knight movies or gladiator?
Yes both are superb via OLED but Gladiator in particular has stunning PQ.

Desk

It's movies set in space that I imagine look amazing - like 2001, which already looks great on LED.

You mention it's not so forgiving of poorer transfers, Limey. Wonder if it also shows up compression artefacts more than other displays.

Desk

Last edited:

The Limey

It's movies set in space that I imagine look amazing - like 2001, which already looks amazing on OLED.

You mention it's not so forgiving of poorer transfers, Limey. Wonder if it also shows up compression artefacts more than other displays.

Desk
Yes most definitely and it is particularly unforgiving on SKY HD when some programmes are noticeably shown to contain compression artefacts in their PQ. However, it does resolve grain very nicely and a grainy flick such as Blue Steel retains its grain with an improved resolution as opposed to simply losing an organic part of its make up via DNR.

Teeps18

Standard Member
In anticipation of getting the TV, are there any Dos and don'ts I should be aware of?

Also, any settings to tweak for gaming to get the input lag down as much as possible? Really wanting to see what Assassins Creed will look like on the PS4.

Lastly, any suggestions for a film to show this off with, especially for a first viewing?

The Limey

In anticipation of getting the TV, are there any Dos and don'ts I should be aware of?

Also, any settings to tweak for gaming to get the input lag down as much as possible? Really wanting to see what Assassins Creed will look like on the PS4.

Lastly, any suggestions for a film to show this off with, especially for a first viewing?
I can't give you any help on gaming but would advise the following:

- Be very careful when handling the TV that you minimise finger contact with the screen. It is extremely well packed in its box with 3 vertical layers of polystyrene and needs to be eased out patiently.

- I recommend using Steve Wither's settings on Expert 1 Mode. Very noticeable improvement on the out of the box PQ on that Mode once you have input this information.

- I am seeing no IR whatsoever (or even a hint) but I am still watching more 16:9 content than not but I am reducing that ratio on a week by week basis...

- I would recommend Gladiator as a first BD because it is stunning, although Desk hit the nail on the head with space flicks too.

m11rphy

Hi Guys,

Had a look at this tv again in Harrods and I have to say I love it. The only bad thing is they could connect a tv arial feed to it so I could see what it would be like with no BD material. So I was hoping you guys could provide your experience, what would something like top gear look on this tv or something real old like only fools which i always have on ?

Also can this tv be controlled with an iPad as a remote ?

smokescreen

Well nearly 3 weeks in, I've just got my first hot/stuck pixel in the bottom left quadrant of the screen :-( Looks like those reports of issues may have some truth after all. Thankfully from what I've been reading this is a clear cut case with LG, but I'll keep this thread updated either way...

The Limey

Well nearly 3 weeks in, I've just got my first hot/stuck pixel in the bottom left quadrant of the screen :-( Looks like those reports of issues may have some truth after all. Thankfully from what I've been reading this is a clear cut case with LG, but I'll keep this thread updated either way...
Not good news for you at all, just what you did not want to see basically... How did you notice this - running slides or just by normal viewing?
Also is the Pixel dead i.e. black?

smokescreen

Just playing a game via the PS4 - it decided to stay red and that was that. Definitely not dead - regardless of OLED brightness or contrast its 100% full on red.

The Limey

Years ago I cleared 2 stuck red pixels from my Kuro using a BD disc called Pixel Protector, alternately as it is not a dead pixel, it may clear on its own. I wonder if gaming during the early life of this set may overwork the pixels? I am sure at least one of the guys on the AVS thread was using his for gaming too?
I am not a gamer so I have not been using the TV for that at all.

Just out of interest what Mode are you running the set in - User, THX, Expert1?

smokescreen

TV was set to Game mode at the time.

I tried JScreenFix, no joy. Even with JScreenFix running, you could clearly see the red pixel screaming through.

As for the game, it didn't have any constant displays of logos etc in the bottom left quadrant where the red pixel shines through. I've not seen any image retention issues whatsoever. The screen doesn't get used for games all that much to be fair, and there's no warnings in the manual about gaming.

Where does the need to ease in the screen come from? I can't help but think there's a bit of mythness behind that as I've seen no science or manufacturer literature to suggest otherwise. Happy to be proven wrong, though.

Yappa

Thanks for the update, smokescreen.
Does Game mode look that different from the other modes? The blacks are still perfect, right?
Did you try The Last of Us? Should have a lot of blacks.

smokescreen

Forgot to mention, tried both dark knight and dark knight rises. Absolutely stunning. Need to try Gladiator. Not tried Last of Us on PS4 either. Gravity on bluray was quite an eye opener as well visually. Naturally dark films revel with OLED - zilch black crush whatsoever.

Game mode : blacks perfect, colours still pretty accurate, I just activate this mode to ensure decent responsiveness.

The Limey

Good news - it's disappeared by itself just by using the TV normally! Will contact LG anyhow...
I think that you are wise to contact LG as the more feedback they get the better. Good to hear that the problem is gone too. Gladiator is amazing on this TV, some of the scenes resemble a window view basically.

What Mode are you running with for normal viewing usually though?

Last edited:

smokescreen

Normal viewing uses the AVForums' recommendation settings unless its a particularly bright day in which case i'll notch up the OLED brightness.

Spoke to LG; they'll react next time it happens, and its apparently normal for the hot pixel to disappear a few hours later with general usage. We'll see how this progresses.