LG EA980 (55EA980) Curved 1080p OLED TV Review

Discussion in 'LG TVs Forum' started by Phil Hinton, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
      Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,163
      • Like Like x 5
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    2. AdrianMills

AdrianMills

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +261
      LOL @ 5 grand for 400 lines of motion resolution.

Oh, and great review. :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    3. vaktmestern

vaktmestern
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,540
      Been wanting this tv for ages gaming lag is lill high but this is as close to perfect it possible to get with 1080p :thumbsup:

4. vaktmestern

vaktmestern
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,540
      Was looking vs the Panasonic Zt but this just blows it away.. :clap:

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    5. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +555
      I want one:smoke:.... well a flat one.

Other than motion handling for 1st gen technology difficult to see how it can be improved upon.

Short to medium term that should keep costs down shouldn't it? On the basis they don't need to develop a new panel every year. Although I acknowledge the 4k issue

6. zAndy1

zAndy1
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,369
      I could get this from JL for £3965 as they've pricematched Total digital who do a promotion now and then, you know what I'm seriously tempted to stop messing about with inferior TVs for £2000 or so and just go for this and have done with it , I mean
      look at it, it's absolutely stunning BUT and it's a big BUT how does this low motion resolution show up in real world viewing, is it obvious and distracting and does it spoil the viewing experience especially considering the cost? I think I'm gonna have to go look at one of these although seeing as Currys are the only place anywhere near me with them on display I'm not sure how much of a help it will be apart from perhaps selling it to the wife on looks alone (I'll make sure I discreetly cover the price tag before we look at it though!). Currently I've got a Sony KDL55W905 ordered with JL for £1249 which is a cracking price for something that was twice than when it came out less than 12 months ago, the sensible thing to do is to see what that's like when it arrives on Thursday and then try and decide whether it's worth spending another £2600 on this , ain't gonna be an easy sell that's for sure...I have only resisted the temptation to wait for this years 4k TVs because of the price I'm getting the W905 for so the fact this is 1080p and half res 3D are weighing heavily on my mind, basically you're sacrificing quite a lot for the ultimate 1080p 2D performance but how long will 1080p 2D be state of the art for, it's a tough one that's for sure...

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • List
    7. vaktmestern

vaktmestern
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,540
      Make them show it to you in exspert 1 mode with good content :smashin: it blowes away ur 905w out of the water...

8. vaktmestern

vaktmestern
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,540
      Rather take a 1080p oled with perfect blacks n contrast so high it cant be messured vs a lcd 4k with poor blacks n all other lcd issues any given day :thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • List
    9. A.I.

A.I.

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +288
      £3915 :)

£50 more saved for a beer or three.

Can't say how tempted I am - it's painful.

edit: +£30 delivery - Still - Amazing price for amazing kit - I need to go and find a pair somewhere.

• Like Like x 1
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
    10. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,629
      No it doesn't, the motion handling with real world material is fine and won't impact negatively on your experience. I mention it in the review more as an observation than a criticism.

But as vaktmestern says, pop down to a store with a couple of your favourite Blu-rays and see for yourself.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    11. vaktmestern

vaktmestern
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,540
      As a gamer 95percent singel player is this tv hopless for my gaming needs?

But more important how does this tv handel netflix content? does it smoothen it picture as the horried samsung f8000 does? returned that tv of it clay netflix looks.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
    12. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,629
      Well 50ms is an improvement on most of LG's other recent TVs but still a bit high, the average is 30-40ms. I didn't find it an issue but I'm not a big gamer, so it was fine for me. As for Netflix, I thought that looked great but LG have never been as overzealous with their processing as their Korean counterpart.

13. PA77ULY

PA77ULY
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +149
      Roll on the day when this is hitting the £2K mark and I will be buying it without question.

A stunning TV and well done to LG.

14. zAndy1

zAndy1
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,369
      Thanks for that just noticed it's now £50 cheaper, will drop JL an email and see if they'll do it for £3915 then...
      As for the comparisons with LED e.g. the W905 I've got on the way, I think it's a tad unfair to say the blacks are poor to be honest, they still look black at the end of the day and let's face it at £1249 it's a completely different proposition to this , more of a case of if I get a good one then it's a bit of a bargain ,let's not forget I could buy 3 W905s for the price of the LG with some beer money left over :) Once you get to £4k you then start thinking about the fact it's not 4k res and the fact it's half res 3D and perhaps you have a right to expect better at the price we're talking about but I fully appreciate you're never going to get the same level of performance in terms of black level and contrast ratio with an LCD/LED but are they the be all and end all when it comes to PQ? The other 'problem' I've got is that I prefer watching movies on my projector purely because of the impact the big screen has on the viewing experience, the blacks are crap I'll grant you that but I'd still probably rather watch a film on the projector than on this and the projector cost about £900!
      Anyway we're digressing too much really , it's a really tough decision although £3900 for this level of performance in many ways seems entirely justifiable I mean let's face it some people were all over the ZT65 at the same price last year and I'd be more than a bit gutted now if I'd gone for that knowing I could have had this for the same price within the space of 9 or 10 months!
      Someone needs to be brave and get one of these ordered and come on here spouting all the superlatives under the sun and get us cowards off our backsides and getting it ordered. Does anyone actually own one of these by the way?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
    15. vaktmestern

vaktmestern
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,540
      Good to hear nerflix looks great as for me its now my main sorce of the ease of the service a bd does beat it by far but works well.

16. Snake79

Snake79

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +103
      It is certainly an impressive piece of kit. I just wish more manufacturers were developing and pushing OLED tech, otherwise it will remain an expensive niche product.

I am a little disappointed with the response time though. Unfortunately there is always a trade off somewhere when making a gain in another. Coming from a response time of 0.1ms it may be too much of a drop. Lets hope future models can improve on that.

17. zAndy1

zAndy1
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,369
      Can't see it hitting £2k I mean if its did the prices of top of the range 55" LED TVs would have to drop to no more than £1000 and probably quite a bit less than that otherwise why would anyone buy one when they could have this? And anyway this TV deserves to be expensive because off all the love and hard work that LG have invested in it, it is a thing of beauty and should command a price premium because of that

18. zAndy1

zAndy1
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,369
      The response time is way less than 0.1ms, the 'problem' is in the way the panel is being driven

19. vaktmestern

vaktmestern
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,540
      Passive 3D i did consider a letdown in the early stages of 3D when 3D was still the buzz.. now in 2014 when its almost dead passive 3D is just fine of the odd few movies i ever will wach in 3D. :smoke:

20. vaktmestern

vaktmestern
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,540
      Dont belive many own this tv of its prev high price point 9k here. But now at the current price its almost "stupid" not to consider this tv of its high performance and incredible looks.

21. PA77ULY

PA77ULY
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +149
      It won't be any day soon clearly but one day. If OLED is the future and the current top of the range 55" Plasmas and LED LCDs are around the £2-2.5K mark (which drops significantly over 12 months - just look at the Sony 55W9) then it will happen. Just a matter of time like most things.

But I agree, at this present time it certainly justifies its price tag. I just wish I had that price tag in my bank account!

22. A.I.

A.I.

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +288

Really don't see this happening in the near future.

Would be nice but premium products deserve a premium price point.

I think it might come down a touch more but not anywhere near your target :)

23. vaktmestern

vaktmestern
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,540
      4k oled would be "perfect" but at what price x3 x4 the price of this tv when thats out.
      At this price point now in early 2014 this oled cant be beaten.

24. PA77ULY

PA77ULY
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +149
      No I agree, unlikely in the near future but as the technology becomes the norm I'm convinced it will.

I mean, if Andy could possibly price match at less than £4K already then that's a step in the right direction.

I'll keep my fingers crossed anyhow!

25. zAndy1

zAndy1
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,369
      Steve, I've read contradictory reports about the effect the curved screen had on reflections with at least one review saying it exasserbated them and another saying it reduced them significantly, how did you find it? In fact unless I'm mistaken you haven't really commented on the curved aspect of the TV at all really, was that because you found it irrelevant really? I would like to hear your opinion on the pros and cons really as it is obviously one of the selling points of the TV

26. The Limey

The Limey

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,625
      I am VERY tempted by this to replace my LX6090h. The only thing holding me back is the reduction in screen acreage plus the prospect of any further price reductions down the line.

27. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,629
    28. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,629
      It was a real disappointment at CES to discover that neither Sony nor Panasonic currently have any plans to launch an OLED TV, especially after all the fuss they made the previous year. It was also a shame to hear that Samsung don't intend to support OLED beyond the KE55S9 that they've already launched. It would seem that all three are more interested in 4K TVs which, despite the increased resolution, are still just LED LCD TVs.

So at the moment LG are the only major manufacturer supporting OLED, so let's hope they can deliver on their plans for more screen sizes and 4K OLED this year.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    29. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,629
      From a performance perspective there is absolutely no reason to curve the screen but unfortunately based on CES, there are going to curved screens everywhere soon. As I mention in the review, the curve is thankfully quite minimal and you quickly get used to it and don't really notice is, unless there is a straight line on the screen, like letterbox bars for example. In terms of reflections, I didn't have any problems when reviewing the LG but then my room is obviously setup to minimise them anyway. I think in the case of the Samsung I was aware of possible reflections more but that might just have been because it was very sunny when I reviewed that TV and that certainly wasn't the case when I had the LG last week. Generally I don't think the curve increases or decreases the problems of reflections so I think that, as with any TV, you just need to be sensible in terms of where you position it.

• Like Like x 1
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    30. gamemaker

gamemaker

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +96
      A darn beauty this Oled TV......close to perfection and a TV for purist plasma owners.
      Clearly the wait is over and you only have to have the money.
      The best of the best of led and plasma in one light package.

There is aways a 'but'.......the TV should have arrived 2 years ago.It is still 1080p and if reference dynamic contrast is sought after then the Panasonic Vt range or above doesn't look too shabby in the Oled turf, and better value.

I sympathesis with the Plasma owners and their angst in replacing their Kurt plasmas with this oled beauty but it is not worth that much.How much improvement is your eyes getting compare with your reference plasma set? 55inch.....65 inch is more preferably?

Now, do we really need Samsung or Sony to develop their RGB oled? We have the definitive Oled and just about as cheap as it could be now.

P'S.....to the poster who is getting a cheap w905 now.....How long will you look at this TV and be heart felt cheerful in the midst of the LG Oled set. You will regret it.Better to save a bit more and stump up the extra cash and knowing the Oled set is the best 1080p TV in the world taking over the Kuro crown......for now, Oled 4k will be a while.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014