LG E9 (OLED55E9) OLED TV Review & Comments

Another excellent review :) One wish though, would it be possible to make the graphs/pictures zoomable (is that even a word?)

"There's support for every flavour of HDR, bar HDR10+"

I really thought they had added HDR10+ reading the first part. Seems to support the same HDR formats as the previous models with nothing new in this area.

So is there black crush across all OLEDs with the current technology Phil?

The C9 looks much better value for money in my mind.

Are you mad lol , better design , better sound and I still think better uniformity for not a lot more.

Are you mad lol , better design , better sound and I still think better uniformity for not a lot more.

It depends on your use case, I suppose. I personally didn't like the design of the E9, and I'd never use the TV sound anyway. The panel lottery being less of a problem on the E9 is definitely a good point, but for £600 price difference, I'll choose a good retailer and return it if I get a bad one.

It depends on your use case, I suppose. I personally didn't like the design of the E9, and I'd never use the TV sound anyway. The panel lottery being less of a problem on the E9 is definitely a good point, but for £600 price difference, I'll choose a good retailer and return it if I get a bad one.

Fair point and I suppose when I got my E9 it was only £299 difference at the time so a lot easier decision.

Oled Oled....great PQ and subjectively speaking have the best all round PQ,but if your in the market for a 75" screen....forget it.............diminishing returns............considering thee price of a Qled 75"

"There's support for every flavour of HDR, bar HDR10+"

I really thought they had added HDR10+ reading the first part. Seems to support the same HDR formats as the previous models with nothing new in this area.
Well, the new dynamic tone mapping pro works well and is an improvement on last year. Plus, the ability to enter the exact peak brightness to adjust the tone mapping to the panel is also a new 2019 feature I really like.

Well, the new dynamic tone mapping pro works well and is an improvement on last year. Plus, the ability to enter the exact peak brightness to adjust the tone mapping to the panel is also a new 2019 feature I really like.

Thanks for another informative and fair review Phil.

So is there black crush across all OLEDs with the current technology Phil?
It appears LG's way of avoiding the black flashing with low bit compressed material is to apply some gamma manipulation which has the side effect of adding in some crush. The last firmware did fix this issue to a degree, but if I am being complete in my assessment, it is still apparent when you go looking for it or testing for it. I would suggest that the majority of owners and user will never notice and it is not something I think is an issue after calibration.

Fair point and I suppose when I got my E9 it was only £299 difference at the time so a lot easier decision.

Yup same as , £280 difference and I will have to use the inbuilt speakers during the evenings I thought it the better choice for myself as I also prefer the look of the E9 over the C9. Plus I only had to fork out £120 out of my own pocket due to this being a replacement under warranty for my 902.

Yet the review says it looks the same as the C9 does when it comes to uniformity, its always going to be a panel lottery , although if you buy a GZ2000 you do improve the odds significantly !!

You’ve already done a 2019 TV awards then reviewed another TV. Would this have been placed at number 1 in any of the categories if done again?

Yet the review says it looks the same as the C9 does when it comes to uniformity, its always going to be a panel lottery , although if you buy a GZ2000 you do improve the odds significantly !!

He actually says they are almost identical to the eye meaning there is a difference even if it is small , and if you look at owners the C9 still has many more unsatisfied panel owners than the E9 , and this is also 1 review with Vincent and other reviews showing it even better.

You’ve already done a 2019 TV awards then reviewed another TV. Would this have been placed at number 1 in any of the categories if done again?
No. Plus, we have to put in place a cut off date, so we can do our awards. We let manufacturers know what that date is.

He actually says they are almost identical to the eye meaning there is a difference even if it is small , and if you look at owners the C9 still has many more unsatisfied panel owners than the E9 , and this is also 1 review with Vincent and other reviews showing it even better.
No 2 Oleds look the same ,and there are far more C9 owners than E9, and quite possibly its the same E9 doing the reviews in the UK .
You may have hit lucky with your set , but there is no guarantee that buying an E9 over a C9 gets you a better panel

No. Plus, we have to put in place a cut off date, so we can do our awards. We let manufacturers know what that date is.
I wonder why LG send in their sets so late. This time next month the new 2020 models will have been announced. You’d have thought get them in reviewers hands April / May so they can plaster award badges everywhere on their marketing.

No 2 Oleds look the same ,and there are far more C9 owners than E9, and quite possibly its the same E9 doing the reviews in the UK .
You may have hit lucky with your set , but there is no guarantee that buying an E9 over a C9 gets you a better panel

The same E9 being used could be true and I might have just hit lucky but the still dosnt stop the fact that a lot of C9 owners have been left feeling dissapointed and I've only ever seen 1 E9 owner in the same boat.

What are members views on Sky Q on the E9 . Set the Q box to 2160 or set it to 1080i for SDR and let the E9 upscale the image ?

Hi all , when my E9 arrives I will put it on my AV unit to begin with . Now I'm debating to wall mount it so my Sky Q and UB820 can sit on top of the AV unit rather than in it.

What I need in my limited space is a wall mount so the tv sits as close as poss to the wall so my centre speaker is not in the way of the E9.

Any suggestions?

Good review and potentially great TV if you can win the panel lottery, but annoyingly for me, I‘ve just had to send back my second E9 for uniformity issues.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom