LG E9 OLED owners and discussion thread

bobken74

Novice Member
;-) just put the tv in the bay and swap your sofa and chair, then you're sorted ;-)
🤣 but where would the wife put the Christmas Tree!! 🎄🙄

Anyone got any thoughts, I am swaying more than the an 18 year old on a Saturday night!!

Think I am now down to the below:

Sonos ARC and 2no. One SLs (for simplicity and ease of set up etc)

or

Denon AVR-X3600H (starting at 5.1.2 with option to work up to 5.2.4) @ £695 on RS
Monitor Audio MASS Gen 2 Speakers (can't ave anything too intrusive) @ £599 on RS
2no. Ceiling Speakers just in front of seating position for Atmos Height maybe the KEF Ci130ER (Pair) @ £200 on RS or DALI Phanton E50's (pair at £280 on RS)

What does everyone think - any other alternatives for the same/less cost?

bobken74

Novice Member
I've had my E9 now for about 6 months and I don't know whether it's just me but voices are so drowned out and quiet compared to the action on screen when watching films.

Does anyone else have a similar issue with this? Could it be something to do with the AI sound or possibly another setting I've overlooked?
I've tended to find voices pretty clear on my E9 - have you used the Clear Voice option on Sound? Also, seen posts on here from some people with the same issue that have not noticed that there is a plastic protective film over the speaker! Good luck, it's a great TV!

Mkirk87

Novice Member
I've tended to find voices pretty clear on my E9 - have you used the Clear Voice option on Sound? Also, seen posts on here from some people with the same issue that have not noticed that there is a plastic protective film over the speaker! Good luck, it's a great TV!
Call me blind but I've not seen the clear voice setting at all 🤔
Either way I think I've sussed the issue now.

So my next question, wall mounts, what are people using? Pictures or inspiration?

markenglert

Novice Member
Call me blind but I've not seen the clear voice setting at all 🤔
Either way I think I've sussed the issue now.

So my next question, wall mounts, what are people using? Pictures or inspiration?
how’d did you sort it? I’m a hairs breath between getting an E9 or a Panasonic gz950 and using my current Polk mini soundbar. Or maybe a Panny gz1500...

I’d prefer to just use tv sound as I’m in an apt with little kids. Don’t need to shake the floor or anything :)

Mkirk87

Novice Member
how’d did you sort it? I’m a hairs breath between getting an E9 or a Panasonic gz950 and using my current Polk mini soundbar. Or maybe a Panny gz1500...

I’d prefer to just use tv sound as I’m in an apt with little kids. Don’t need to shake the floor or anything :)
The AI sound needed recalibrating. Seems to of worked a treat. You shouldn't have issues with using just the TVs sound. Its half the reason I went for the E9 in the first place.

gaz2810i

Just ordered my E9... feels so good! Thank to everyone who responded to me and posted in this thread. Very helpful.
You won't be disappointed. I have had my e9 for 6 days and I have been blown away. Booked in my Calibration yesterday and cannot wait to see what they can achieve. 😁

gerryb

Owned the E8 for 18 months and was going to upgrade to the CX, but I love the E series aesthetic and the additional rigidity provided by the picture in glass build, with the E9 even better without the front stand. Being £300 cheaper than the CX at JL just plumped for the E9 coming next week.
A couple of questions.....

1. I have 3 1/2 years of the E8 warranty left and I'm giving the TV to my daughter. Anyone know if I can I xfer the JL warranty.
2. Have just discovered bias lighting ( well I am old...). Any suggestions for decent yet inexpensive set with remote control and possibly Alexa/Google assistant integration?
Thx.

sammyb304

Novice Member
Subwoofer connection

Hello fellow E9 owners! I am patiently waiting delivery of a 65" E9 from Richer Sounds which I will be wall mounting using Vogel's Full Motion Motorised Wall Mount. I had initially planned on getting a C9 with Sonos Arc + Sonos Sub with the Arc mounted to the wall bracket but when I saw an E9 was only £200 more expensive and a cleaner aesthetic overall, outside chance (ie unconfirmed rumors) of better panel quality on E series vs C series, I decided to go for the E9.

My room is not conducive in my opinion to 5.1 setup because the TV is in a corner while the seating position is in the middle of the room (sofa against long wall). For this reason I went for the full motion mount to move the TV out to optimum angle for viewing and move it back when not viewing. I'll never be moving the TV to a central position in front of the viewing location because there is a fireplace in the middle of the room and I hate TVs mounted too high above fireplaces.

That's some background about my setup...

Apologies if I have missed an answer to this question but I have heard a few conflicting opinions about subwoofer connection options and wondered if someone who has successfully connected a subwoofer to their E9 could validate. Unfortunately I do not yet own or have access to a subwoofer to experiment so it feels like a big risk to buy an expensive sub not fully understanding if it will work or not.

I am looking for the cleanest and most straightforward solution. This was also the attraction of the E9 because in theory the one LG tv remote controls everything. Prior to this I had a stereo amplifier with optical audio connection and all my various devices connected to a digital audio switcher and a harmony remote. In theory it should have worked seemlessly but rarely did and this caused gripes from my wife. I have moved my stereo kit to another part of the room for pure music listening now.

From what I can gather there are a few options:

1. Connect to LFE/.1 on an active subwoofer using 3.5mm to single RCA through headphone out on TV while setting audio of the TV to simultaneously output to the internal speaker (soundbar) and headphones. I came across this solution at the following link but I have heard elsewhere, this solution would require manual adjustment of subwoofer volume?

Link to solution described

If this worked, it seems very straightforward.

2. Send audio out using optical audio out to a DAC and connect the DAC to the subwoofer. I am guessing there is an audio setting on the TV to simultaneously output audio to the soundbar and an external device? I have heard this solution would require manual adjustment of subwoofer volume.

3. Buy a new amplifier with a sub out to send TV audio to the subwoofer. Again, hopefully there is a setting on the TV to utilise the soundbar and external audio? What would be the best method of connecting to the amp in this case? This is least favourable option given I don't want to buy a new amp.

It seems if LG had just added a sub out to the E9, plenty of owners would have loved to add a subwoofer to complement the soundbar. This would be a very simple solution or maybe I have missed a reason why they wouldn't have done this.

I appreciate any help you can offer me.

sammyb304

Novice Member
I can confirm this works an absolute treat. I have moved my sub from the snug into the lounge to test out and it sounds awesome. Ordering a BK electronics subwoofer later (P12-300SB-PR) for the lounge. Even with my Q Accoustic subwoofer, shown in the right of the picture and using the internal speakers, it sounds brilliant.

Also, I previously had the LG oled65c9 but returned it due to dead pixels. Initial impressions is the sound is better on E9 and the design is certainly nicer. It looks very classy! Most importantly there does not appear to be any dead pixels on this new one, and the screen is nice and clean. I thought the C9 panel was good but this looks (so far) perfect. Do I think the E9 is worth £500 more, probably not, it is worth £100 more, which is the difference I paid, then absolutely, without a doubt. I paid just over £1900 and I think it is hard to beat at that price. I recently purchased a rubber skin for the remote and this comes highly recommended too in order to keep in mint condition (from Amazon). I got it with the 18 month Sky too.

In summary, I really recommend adding a subwoofer to the tv as it transforms it completely. This would be far cheaper than buying a new sound bar, etc.

Hope everyone is enjoying theirs :clap:View attachment 1253099
I am curious about adding a sub also. If you run it as optical out > DAC > sub, how is volume controlled when the internal speaker volume is adjusted?

grossner

Cable door not fitted and no cables touching.

If I press in the middle of the rear plastic panel it helps somewhat. I have put some foam inbetween the bracket and the back panel but not perfect.
I have the same issue and It seems to be caused by the plastic back panel rattling against the mounting bracket. Are you just living with it using the foam or have you found a better solution?

I'm going to try to make some rubber spacers. But I still want the mount to be solid and the TV not to wobble.

gerryb

Just taken delivery of my E9 and all seems well except for a couple of minor issues with PC connection.
I have the HDMI port (4) labelled as PC, Deep Colour and Instant Game Response are both set for the port, but the PC does not activate game mode when starting a game, not does the IGR message flash as it does when the Xbox 1X plays a game.
Another thing is that when setting the Windows display option to allow HDR, all games, HDR or not and the desktop selects an HDR picture mode and the HDR logo is displayed
This was the same on my E8 as well.
Any help appreciated,

Thanks.

Last edited: