Quantcast

LG E9 OLED owners and discussion thread

wezzywebb

Distinguished Member
Cheers Wezzy, I shouldn’t be even looking, my plan was to get a new set for the living room later this year when the 2020 sets have come down in price but I’m not massively impressed by what seems to be coming out. If Panasonic has put HDMI 2.1 into their flagship HZ, I probably would have bitten on that but outside of that, I’m probably either biting on an E9, or waiting till 2021 (unless I see a proper bargain on a Sony which I prefer out of all of them)
No bother mate ,I only picked up the C9 due to the Sky Q deal that was running ,and not wanting to game on my AF9 for fear of burn in ,all in it stands me at less than £1000 taking into account the savings I’ve made with the Sky deal .
I cannot see me moving from this AF9 for a few years yet ,the 2000hr refresh it completed a few weeks back have made it look even more stunning ,plus the latest update has made it bang up to date

Slugsy01

No bother mate ,I only picked up the C9 due to the Sky Q deal that was running ,and not wanting to game on my AF9 for fear of burn in ,all in it stands me at less than £1000 taking into account the savings I’ve made with the Sky deal .
I cannot see me moving from this AF9 for a few years yet ,the 2000hr refresh it completed a few weeks back have made it look even more stunning ,plus the latest update has made it bang up to date
Nice, to be honest, I would have had a AF9 a long time ago but I need a set as flat to the wall as possible. Unless I knock a big hole in my brick wall, it won’t sit very flat due to its design. Still flirting with the AG9 and prices there mind....

cjmilner

Novice Member
I took delivery of the E9 65" last week from Crampton and Moor, and sadly I have pretty bad banding. I sent the attached photo to them and they said they will arrange collection and replacement, my only concern is how to get the box secured for them to take it away. As you'll know, the box when new is secured by plastic straps which are cut to then allow you to slide the cardboard box up and over. For those that have had to send such a large and heavy TV back to the store, how have you managed to tape up the base to the cardboard outer sleeve cover? I can only think that I'm going to have to use a crazy amount of parcel tape on it!

Attachments

staffy 2

Get some thick Scotch 3M black tape and wrap round the box at both ends a few times.I slid my bands off my box just incase and glad I did as had to return my tv and they slid on again tightly but good strong wide tape will sort it for you.

Avathar77

Sorry to hear about the TV. I know this may not be helpful at all for your issue - but what is your wall? I like it, Is it a wallpaper or actual brick?

P.S
i still have the bx in my storage wrapped up in cling film! my last TV(Plasma) which developed a fault was taken to repair and the company brought their own box to transport it.

Matt1981

I use mine mostly for watching movies and Netflix , amazon prime content, the odd gaming session, I have it in a room where its fed with a Sky Q mini box, i find the sky sports football picture very soft and often looking blurry , just watching the game now and the build up in studio, some of the faces look out of focus, the only flaw, so i blame sky!!!
You know the Q Mini box only supports 1080p, right?

I can confirm this works an absolute treat. I have moved my sub from the snug into the lounge to test out and it sounds awesome. Ordering a BK electronics subwoofer later (P12-300SB-PR) for the lounge. Even with my Q Accoustic subwoofer, shown in the right of the picture and using the internal speakers, it sounds brilliant.

In summary, I really recommend adding a subwoofer to the tv as it transforms it completely. This would be far cheaper than buying a new sound bar, etc.

Hope everyone is enjoying theirs :clap:View attachment 1253099
Couple of questions...
Does your tv remote control the external speakers properly or does it need another remote?
Does the gadget you're using to convert optic to RCA need power?
You've got some whacking big front speakers there, are you still using the internals speakers?

I've started learning towards an SL8 or SL9 soundbar but could be swayed back to just a sub.

BrynTeg

Distinguished Member
You know the Q Mini box only supports 1080p, right?

Yea i knew that mate, just never noticed 1080p to look so blurry ....

Matt1981

Did you jump up in size?
I went from 50" to 65" and I definitely notice a more blocky appearance from 1080p

I managed to tune a lot out through settings menus.

BrynTeg

Distinguished Member
Nah i'm used to the 65" size, have had the panasonic in the living room for 4 years, I out it down to Sky, take last nights episode of The Outsider on Atlantic, looked like an sd download from a torrent site...

nil

Standard Member
With E7 I use a glass tv riser so my sound bar won’t block the TVs speakers or screen.Sadly I think 50kg would be too heavy for it.Im considering an E9 and my tv unit is wood it’s good quality oak.So I would get a 7cm thick nice peice of smooth oak shelving about 100cm wide and 12 inches deep,to accommodate the stand.This would then lift an E9 above my soundbar and it should blend in with my oak tv unit.
Can anyone get Bluetooth headphones to work on the E9 as I’ve read Bluetooth won’t work.
I've had no issues getting my plantronics bluetooth headphone discovered and connected. Works everytime for me.

Gormond

Novice Member
Just got my 65" E9 delivered from JL and my experience so far has been mostly positive.

One thing I have noticed however is when watching The Irishman on Netflix it enabled HDR which for the most part looked great however the subtitles were very bright, has anyone else experienced this?

Matt1981

Just got my 65" E9 delivered from JL and my experience so far has been mostly positive.

One thing I have noticed however is when watching The Irishman on Netflix it enabled HDR which for the most part looked great however the subtitles were very bright, has anyone else experienced this?
Have you found the setting that supposedly changes the contrast on bright logos?
I couldn't tell you were I found it but I got it eventually.

Gormond

Novice Member
Have you found the setting that supposedly changes the contrast on bright logos?
I couldn't tell you were I found it but I got it eventually.
I did notice a setting to protect against burn in that made logos more dim - I think it was at low by default, I just left it there.

To add this was on subtitles that I assume were hard-coded as it was when Robert Di Nero and Joe Pesci were speaking Italian.

cjmilner

Novice Member
Sorry to hear about the TV. I know this may not be helpful at all for your issue - but what is your wall? I like it, Is it a wallpaper or actual brick?

P.S
i still have the bx in my storage wrapped up in cling film! my last TV(Plasma) which developed a fault was taken to repair and the company brought their own box to transport it.
Thanks, they are slate tiles which are all random 3D patterns, just like these here Mrs Stone Store | Natural Stone Tiles | Silver/Grey Quartz Maxi Split Face Z Panel 600x150x8-20

bryfly

Can anybody check on this TV, if you press the AD/SAP and then select TEXT , does it work or just say "this function not available". Tia

raduv1

Distinguished Member
Nah i'm used to the 65" size, have had the panasonic in the living room for 4 years, I out it down to Sky, take last nights episode of The Outsider on Atlantic, looked like an sd download from a torrent site...
There are lots of complaints in the Outsider thread about the very poor PQ from Sky Atlantic , shocking ain't it !

BrynTeg

Distinguished Member
There are lots of complaints in the Outsider thread about the very poor PQ from Sky Atlantic , shocking ain't it !
It's terrible .... but Sky dont have a clue when you try to talk to them

raduv1

Distinguished Member
It's terrible .... but Sky dont have a clue when you try to talk to them
Lucky my E9 purchase has saved me £720 over the next 18 months of Sky Q :smashin: .

raduv1

Distinguished Member
For anyone looking to put some great PQ through their E9 then take a gander at The Meg UHD BD. Yup it's as silly as fudge but boy it kicks arse on PQ and fantastic Dolby Atmos soundstage . Watched it on my old DX 902 and was fantastic, on the E9 with DV its MEGafantastic :thumbsup: .

Matt1981

I've had no issues getting my plantronics bluetooth headphone discovered and connected. Works everytime for me.
I need a little headphone help now. My deaf dad comes round once a week and uses headphones to blast noise straight in his earholes.

On my old TV he just plugged a bluetooth transmitter into the 3.5mm jack on the back and away he went. On this, it appears that the only way to do that is to go into the settings and change the audio output to line-out. There is no option for line-out and tv speakers so it's one or the other.
How did you pair your BT headphones to the TV directly and is there a way of having both the headphones paired and the TV speakers still working.

avaris15

Standard Member
Hi all!

Been lurking on this thread for a while now, so thanks to you all already for helping me make the decision to purchase this incredible telly. I finally took the plunge on the 65" E9 a few weeks ago while it was £1999 at RS. A long-overdue upgrade from a decade-old Samsung LE40A656, so you can imagine how much I'm enjoying this new screen.

I do have a couple of little queries, which I hope you good folks can answer:
  • I swear I saw a screenshot somewhere with the HDMI inputs as individual "channels" on the home bar. I cannot work out how to get them in there. Maybe it was an older version of webOS? Would be nice to have them there with all the other inputs/apps.
  • I'm finally getting around to watching Seven Worlds on iPlayer, and it's mostly spectacular, but the tv appears to struggle with smaller objects moving quickly on the screen. I specifically remember a kangaroo being chased, and it being so blurry I could barely make out what it was. I think it happened while watching the FA cup last night on BBC HD, I'd almost expect it there, but not on HDR/HLG/DV content. I'm sure there's some sort of setting that's either on, or not on, when it should be the opposite, to deal with these kinds of things?
  • Which leads me to querying whether adjusting settings for specific picture modes (HDR/HLG/DV) can only be adjusted while displaying that particular type of content? Does it apply to all of those types of content, regardless of the input - so for example, adjusting HDR content while on YouTube, will that affect HDR content on Plex, for example? Or is it per-app/input?
  • I was also disappointed to realise that despite having a fully-fledged EPG, DVR functions and UI around free-to-air television, the tv only has one tuner! Was really hoping to finally bin off the BT YouView box. Presumably there's no way of having the TV pick up an external tuner as one of it's own?
  • If I am forced to use the BT freeview box, is there any way to get the magic remote to bring up the BT "guide" rather than the redundant LG one? I'm aware of the "..." button, but that's not particularly wife-friendly.
  • Presumably there is no way of inputting component anywhere here, even with an adapter? Still love to play games on my GameCube with my component cables.
Minor gripes in the grand scheme of things, I absolutely love the TV, but always good to get input from people with real-world usage.

Thanks again!

ariv564

Hi,

Just received my LG65E9. I've read that AI Sound suppose to be much better, but Dolby Atmos (only) sounds so much better to me, especially with music. It has more bass and gentle touch to it. AI sound misses the bass and sounds thin and loud.

I really can't understand why would anyone prefer the AI sound? Do I have something wrong?

Patty37

Just had delivery of my 65 inch E9. Away to set it up. Is there any settings I should straight away turn on or off? I'm only going to be plugging in Sky Q 2TB Box and and Xbox One X.

Thanks folks!

EDIT: Maybe the question shouldn't be about settings. It should be in regards to the pedastal stand. Has anyone had any problems getting the screws in, especially on the right hand side? It's so tight and the screws don't go all the way in. The left and centre are fine though.

Last edited:

Matt1981

Hi,

Just received my LG65E9. I've read that AI Sound suppose to be much better, but Dolby Atmos (only) sounds so much better to me, especially with music. It has more bass and gentle touch to it. AI sound misses the bass and sounds thin and loud.

I really can't understand why would anyone prefer the AI sound? Do I have something wrong?

When you set AI sound, did you select bass boost sends then hit the option to set it up? It asks you to hold your remote in front of you and works out the size of the room and activates it all.