arj41

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have an LG E8 65in and a Sony HT-XF9000 Sound Bar, both acquired within the last few days. As I have multiple content sources (Amazon 4K Fire Stick, SkyQ box and Sony UBP-X700 4K Blu-ray player) I have connected them to the E8 as follows: Fire Stick to HDMI 1, SkyQ to HDMI 3 and Blu-ray player to HDMI 4. HDMI 2 (the ARC port) is used to connect the TV to the Sound Bar's HDMI ARC port. But unless a Toslink optical cable is also present between the TV and the Sound Bar, no sound is output from it. The sound, however, has a slight delay - I would say around 100-150mSec - sufficient to be irritating on lip-sync. The only timing adjustment I can find will delay the audio even further, so no joy there. I understand that with eARC (as opposed to just plain ARC) audio sync is taken care of automatically, so the audio delay shouldn't happen.

I have the latest E8 firmware, for when I first powered-up the TV, it automatically did an update. I have read somewhere that the E8's latest firmware does in fact support eARC, so what am I doing wrong? I also have the latest firmware on the HT-XF9000, for I updated it myself. I would add that I am reluctant to use an HDMI cable from the programme source to the Sound Bar and thence on to the ARC port of the TV, as I will then need to use external HDMI switching between sources, which the TV itself handles rather elegantly.

Can anyone confirm please, that the E8 with latest firmware is actually eARC compliant, and that there is a way around the loose sync problem.

Other than that, I am delighted with the whole setup. A vast improvement from my previous 8-year old 37in HD Toshiba and Sky HD box. 'David Attenborough type' natural history viewing, in UHD with Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos audio, is simply stunning (although I'm not at all sure that the Dolby Atmos sound is being decoded properly). I would add that I am a newbie to 4K UHD, having joined avforums only today!

Thanks in anticipation,

Tony.

Last edited:
Doubt if <2019 models would support eARC as they don't feature HDMI 2.1 which implements eARC functionality.

HDMI 2.0b is also capable of supporting eARC. It only needs a firmware update from LG to enable it. Many other competitors have added it to their HDMI 2.0b devices through subsequent firmware updates.

Regardless of earc you should still get sound via arc and shouldn’t need a toslink as well.

Have you played around with the sound out settings?

HDMI 2.0b is also capable of supporting eARC.
HDMI 2.0b might support eARC but it isn't part of the 2.0b spec. It was introduced in the HDMI 2.1 spec.

HDMI 2.0b might support eARC but it isn't part of the 2.0b spec. It was introduced in the HDMI 2.1 spec.
Regardless competitors have enabled eARC to HDMI 2.0b devices after their release through firmware updates.

Regardless of earc you should still get sound via arc and shouldn’t need a toslink as well.

Have you played around with the sound out settings?

Yes, to a certain extent, but as there are quite a few with many of them interdependent, it is confusing, to say the least. I doubt if I have exhausted all available permutations. It's a bit needle-in-a-haystackish until I have a clearer understanding of the various parameters. Thanks for your interest and reply... I'll keep searching for a sensible way forward.

Tony.

@arj41 what firmware are u using? The reason I ask (Version 04.10.55) is supposed to fix lip sync issues.

Regardless competitors have enabled eARC to HDMI 2.0b devices after their release through firmware updates.

That's right, my Denon X3500H received the eArc firmware update around Dec 2018, but my LG65C8 doesn't have eArc so no joy there.

I haven't noticed any lip sysnc issues between my connected devices or the TV's internal apps (Netflix, amazon) so I haven't got anything to complain about, but getting eArc on the LG would be good!

@arj41 what firmware are u using? The reason I ask (Version 04.10.55) is supposed to fix lip sync issues.
My E8 has firmware Ver. 04.10.20. When I try to update, it says there are 'no updates found'. Any ideas how to get 04.10.55? The full model no. of the TV is [LG] webOS TV OLED65E8PLA.

Tony.

My E8 has firmware Ver. 04.10.20. When I try to update, it says there are 'no updates found'. Any ideas how to get 04.10.55? The full model no. of the TV is [LG] webOS TV OLED65E8PLA.

Tony.
I have now updated the firmware to 04.10.55 and it has NOT solved the delayed sound sync problem. Made no difference at all.

eARC allows multichannel audio (Dolby Atmos-DTS-X) to be passed from the TV to the AV system without HDMI 2.1!.........we need a firmware UPDATE!

I'm 99% certain LG will not release a firmware update for eARC on the 7/8 series even if they were technically capable.

LG never updates WebOS, the core version that ships on the TV stays at is and you have to buy next years models to get the latest updates be it actual improvements or just changes to existing software features.

Giving away eARC support for free is not LG's style.

As covered in this thread No eARC on pre 2019 LG OLED TV's eARC is unlikely in 8 series.

Saying its a simple firmware update is an oversimplification, the HDMI interface (H/W) clearly needs the capability to support a much higher bandwidth on the ARC port. When a receiver is updated the update package includes quite low-level updates for its H/W devices, this is how we got DV support on earlier Denons. I suspect TVs that have had eARC enabled on firmware are recent models with newer HDMI chips already fitted.

This question of lipsysnc on LG comes up a lot, I certainly found it impossible to connect a set-top box to the TV - everything had to go to the amp to avoid it. This is something that could (and should) be improved in firmware even if eARC attempts to automate it.

Unfortunately LG, as with all TV manufacturers with a yearly product cycle, dont tend to add features by firmware. A lot of what's appearing in 9 series LG could be made available for 8 or earlier. But apart from wanting to sell new TVs, they would have to test and maintain ever more firmware builds for each year they support, so it wont happen.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom