LG E7 or B8

Discussion in 'LG TVs Forum' started by jabriel, Aug 22, 2018.

1. jabriel

jabriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The 55" b8 is £1799 and the e7 is £1699. I'm trying to work out which to buy? (Still considering the b7 too)

Looking at the differences between them on RS's website, these are:

E7 info on LHS. B8 info on RHS

HDR10 VS HDR10+
    No gesture control VS gesture control
    No LED backlight VS backlight
    UHD Premium VS UHD
    App control VS no app control (not sure what apps this refers to.)
    Twin tuners VS no twin tuners
    Web applications VS no web applications
    No voice activated tv VS voice activated tv (although listed separately I think this might be the same as gesture control?)

Is the local pixel dimming solution the same on both or is one better than the other?

What does HDR10+ give you over HDR10?

What's Ultra HD premium? How is it different to Ultra HD?

I'm also slightly sceptical about the compare feature on the websites. I've previously found these can't be trusted 100% so do plan to visit but also find some sales people aren't 100% informed either. E.g. A sales chap in watford told me AT projector screens don't exist.

Lastly, do you think the price of either will fall in the next 2-4 weeks?

2. sagaris99

sagaris99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    You’re right to be sceptical, those differences are so off it’s untrue.

Both TVs support HDR10, HLG, Dolby Vision, Technicolour HDR.
    Neither Tv support gesture control, they both however feature the magic remote which uses the on screen pointer. The E7 has a nicer remote.
    Neither is LED backlit, they are both OLED self emissive.
    Both are UHD premium (premium is the certification standard)
    Both have WebOS apps, and both support exactly the same. Both can be supported by the LG TV phone app.
    The E7 does have two freesat tuners, the b8 only has one. Both of course feature one free view tuner too.
    Dimming will be the same near as you can see.
    Both support voice control (mic in the remote) but the B8 supports LGs ThinQ AI system, kind of cool, and can be controlled using google assistant or Alexa.
    In answer to your HDR10vs10+ query, HDR10 is the widely used format accepted by all. HDR10+ is a format created by Samsung, created to rival Dolby Vision which offers far more data than regular HDR. Only supported by Samsung and Pana.

To put it simply, the B8 uses a slightly updated version of the E7’s processor. Brighter picture, better black handling, improved HDR - though all of this is negligible. The B8 also benefits from 2018 features in the OS, namely google assistant and Alexa control. The E7 is a better tv from the perspective of design (picture on glass), a Dolby atmos speaker built into the bottom of the tv (better than regular tv speakers, not as good as a soundbar) twin tuners and a nicer remote.

Christ knows who wrote the comparisons you looked at o_O

Any other questions just shout ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. jabriel

jabriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks for the prompt and detailed response. Much appreciated. Thank god I asked the questions otherwise would have made a decision based on info that's wildly off the mark.

What does 2 tv freesat tuners gives me over having just one freesat tuner? FWIW, I sill have Sky Q.

I quite like the idea of Alexa/Google integration. Presumably it works well? Would be good to hear peoples experiences of this or how people are using it.

Not fussed about sound as I have speakers already.

Any thoughts on if the pricing will change over the next 2-4 weeks?

4. sagaris99

sagaris99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    No worries, that’s what the community is for ;)

If you’ve got SkyQ, it doesn’t really matter, it would mean that if you wanted to record something into a usb stick through the tv, by having both tuners plugged in, you could watch something else at the same time. Currently, it will only record what you watch (but to be fair, pretty useless, shown by LG doing away with this on the E8.

I’ve tried it in store with Google and it works a dream. It’s not like having a google speaker though, it’s simply a device that can be controlled using google commands. Ie ‘ok google, tell LG to go to Breaking Bad on Netflix on my TV’. Pretty cool tbf. LG also do their own Google speaker, the WK7, which sounds pretty good to be fair.

To be honest I don’t know, but most retailers give you a post sale grace period. Ie John Lewis mandate that should the price drop up to 28 days after purchase, they refund the difference.

You might see prices drop for this weekend but it doesn’t really matter, you’re covered.

Had you not considered lobbing another 200 in to get the C8. Worthwhile jump up for such a small difference...

5. Goldorak

Goldorak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,719
    Be patient, if you have £1800 for a 55, you can get very soon for that one of the below:
    - LG c8
    - pana 800 (easily £1600 soon with just 10 percent discount soon enough)
    - Philips 803
    - af8

6. jabriel

jabriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks again sagaris99.

I was happy enough with the b7 was 3-400 more so was considering it. If I stick another 200 on top of that it starts to add up and then it's 5-700 more than the cost of a b7.

Goldorak, thanks for your thoughts. Happy to wait a few more weeks if I can save a couple of hundred. It's either LG or Sony for me.

Now, in case the c8 does drop to 1800, what's the difference between that and the b8?

7. Goldorak

Goldorak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,719
  8. Goldorak

Goldorak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,719
  9. sagaris99

sagaris99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    What @Goldorak said :laugh:

That makes sense what you mean by price building quickly, good point

Not a huge amount, visible differences would be the C8 is slightly brighter, slightly better motion, HFR support, better built in speakers (though of course you’re using speakers). For £200 at the moment I think it’s a no brainer, but if the gap widens then my thoughts might change.

10. Goldorak

Goldorak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,719
    If you are interested by LG or Sony, then it is between the af8 and c8

They both are going around £2k and soon will hit £1800 easily...potentially less if LG start the price war because simply they CAN to protect market share.

The c8 is the best all round tv this year with superb hdr performance. OS is a pleasure to use versus Sony Android.

For me, the b8 is an improved c7 and the latter retail for £1200...b8 basically improve the hdr gaming performance and more recent OS...

So to resume, c8 for 1600-1800 and b8 only if below £1500. Just my 2 cents

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. jabriel

jabriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts everyone.

Based on whats been said here, I'm going to try to wait it out and hope the C8 drops in price over the next month or two.

12. Goldorak

Goldorak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,719
    You welcome
    Pretty much £1999 everywhere so should drop by 10 percent this coming back holiday...
    Keep an eye on price spy, oled price deals thread. Sometime just enter and ask for a deal...10 percent standard and free uhd blu ray if you are lucky...wait for this month bank holiday discounts

13. jabriel

jabriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Will do.

General question now - If prices drop on the bank holiday, would they remain at the lower price or do they climb up again?

14. sagaris99

sagaris99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Impossible the say, they have done both. To stay safe assume they go back up

15. Goldorak

Goldorak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,719
    Bank holiday are spot event which generate often spot promotion.
    Variation in price is different and happen in stages...we had a drop so don’t expect another one before end of this year...

What you will see is retailer discount and manufacturer promotion (cash back)

It is all about what is the price you are happy to pay as the longer you wait, the more it goes down until no more stock ;-)

16. jabriel

jabriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Understood. Will keep an eye on prices over the weekend.

It's a case of buying this weekend in that case or waiting a few months. Tempted to wait a few months (end Oct/early Nov) but lets see what the weekend brings.

17. jabriel

jabriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Not sure if the is the right place to ask the question but I'm trying to work out which features are of benefit in the real world to me and which are not.

Reading up on the differences between the af8 and th c8, the c8 has 4 full fat hdmi ports and the af8 has one or two. Can't remember.

If I'm plugging my the sky q, ps4, projector, etc into the amp and the amp to the full fat hdmi socket on the tv, do I other hdmi ports being full fat?

When would they come in handy?

Will be heading to JL later this morning for a quick look at both. Prices haven't moved so not just yet.

18. sagaris99

sagaris99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    That’s right, the c8 has all 4 hdmi ports full bandwidth, the Af8 only 2. I guess for your situation it’s not essential, but most plug their boxes (sky, PS4, Apple TV) direct into the tv, so having full bandwidth ports is very useful. For you, it’s more of a futureproofing move, if you decided to get rid of your amp or to plug a device in directly.

Further, the Af8 does not support atmos to my knowledge... someone correct if I’m wrong. If your amp was already, or one day will change to support atmos sound,the Af8 would leave you short.

Let us know your thoughts! Which JL are you going to ?

19. jabriel

jabriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The watford branch.

I have some time tomorrow as well so if there somewhere better to view both screens, I could go there too.

Whilst I have speakers, I was thinking it may just be easier for my wife (and my 5 year old) to be able to turn the tv on and not worry about amps. (Just for day to day stuff like cartoons, news, when it's on in the background, etc)

ETA: if an amp is connected to either tv are we still able to use the audio from the tv instead of the amps? (Would be useful for when I'm not around and the family are watching tv.)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  20. CorvusGlaive

CorvusGlaive
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi new member and first post. Been reading these forums for ages and have eventually saved up enough to purchase a 55" B7, seems I have left it too late as most of the stores I have contacted have either sold out or will not deliver. Went to another company 'Crampton And Moore' (UK) who showed the B7's in stock, however it was an error. The manager then told me he would do me a deal on a 55" B8 for £1399 (£50) more than what I was hoping to pay. Snapped his hand off and it's being delivered Thursday. Fingers crossed I've made the right decision and the reviews I've seen so far on the B8 seem positive.

21. jabriel

jabriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Am sure you'll love it. Let us know how you get on with it.

22. CorvusGlaive

CorvusGlaive
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Will do, complete OLED novice but into my films and occasional gamer. Hoping I can find some good settings via the forums. Just chuffedvthat I finally own one! Thanks

23. woppy101

woppy101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,384
    I have just managed to get a 55B8 from Crampton and Moore for £1400 so I definitely wouldn’t pay £1800 for one

24. CorvusGlaive

CorvusGlaive
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Had the B8 for just over a week, I love it. The picture is amazing, my wife who is a complete technophobe even agrees. Haven't messed with any of the settings as such, except I have turned off tru motion & eco etc. Will wait for recommended settings to try from here. Play PS4 and the new Spider-Man game is stunning, also watch sports like MotoGP and this Tv handles is brilliantly.
    Can read too much on forums which can be helpful but also not so, I'm not going to go looking for any issues on this tv, just gonna enjoy it the way nature intended! Taken me ages to save up for an Oled and have no regrets so far (fingers crossed it stays that way).

Attached Files:

25. jabriel

jabriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Pleased for you CorvusGlaive.

The price of the C8 is slowly coming down so hopefully by Nov it should be more affordable.

I'm also torn between buying the C8 or a smaller (lesser) led TV and a cheap projector. Can't beat the big screen experience. I'm in no rush to buy so will see what the price of the C8 dropss to as that may help with the decision.