Question lg e6v oled screen burn

drstuf08

Where has my thread with my screen burn images and questions gone? has it been deleted at richer sounds request?

I was coming on to update where i was upto

Last edited:

drstuf08

Is the smalls claims paperwork easy enough to complete?

i had started a repair through lg but 6 days after my collection and my tv sitting in a panther warehouse with no delivery to lg date just we will get it to them in the next 14 days and lg stating it would take 14 days to repair and return once panther has delivered to them i lost my rag and cancelled the repair to proceed through the courts for a refund.

i have called richer sounds to offer them the chance to resolve before the additional expense of the courts and they didnt seem too concerned.

I believe them refunding the cost of the repair (£250) that i had to pay lg as at least some sort of admission to liability?

Attachments

Last edited:

n1ghtwish

Is the problem that you won't have a TV for a while?

If so then I'd ask RS for a loaner TV whilst you wait, doesn't have to be anything special.

Small Claims court is not something I would do lightly.

drstuf08

the problem is that lg said they cant fix the tv but i am being askied to just play the game so they write it off and give me vouchers to spend at richer sounds.

if they had 3d panels available and the repair took 3 weeks at a push i might have continued on with it

The small claims paperwork is very easy to complete, i didnt realise it was all ontheline nowadays. the forms are pretty much complete i just have a couple of boxes to fill in but needed some help with the wording then pay the £185

After i completed the smalls claims paperwork i did some more reading and spoke to citizes advice and they suggested claiming under section 75 with my credit card as i partially paid for the tv with it

I got an email late on last night from richer sounds saying they will call me today to try and resolve so we will see.............

n1ghtwish

They can't fix with a like-for-like 3d panel anymore no, but I guess they could replace the panel with a normal one (albeit you'd lose the 3d). I have an E6 as well which has developed a few dead pixels so I'm monitoring it, because it's not bad enough yet to be worth replacement.

Still maintain that small claims court as last resort is the best bet here, see what RS say. If you are firm on needing the 3d then I agree it's impossible for them to be able to fix it as they can't undo the burn in on an existing panel.

n1ghtwish

Whilst your stance is a sensible one and I agree with sticking to your guns, what will you do with a refund? I think the E6 was the last of the 3D TV's so if 3D is a requirement your options are limited.

Best bet if you need 3d would be to buy another E6 from the 2nd hand market, but burn in is cumulative, so any E6 you buy now is like 4 years old and would be more liable to burn in again within a shortish time frame (1-2y).

drstuf08

when i replace it i would go bigger and get over the 3d

its not that i need 3d but i do care that my tv maintains 100% functionality.

n1ghtwish

Well losing the 3d would make your 3d bluray collection pointless/useless to you so that is the only argument you should require then.

mij

the problem is that lg said they cant fix the tv but i am being askied to just play the game so they write it off and give me vouchers to spend at richer sounds.

if they had 3d panels available and the repair took 3 weeks at a push i might have continued on with it

The small claims paperwork is very easy to complete, i didnt realise it was all ontheline nowadays. the forms are pretty much complete i just have a couple of boxes to fill in but needed some help with the wording then pay the £185

After i completed the smalls claims paperwork i did some more reading and spoke to citizes advice and they suggested claiming under section 75 with my credit card as i partially paid for the tv with it

I got an email late on last night from richer sounds saying they will call me today to try and resolve so we will see.............
I made a claim under section 75 on my Barclaycard and couldn't believe how easy it was to do, a couple of phone calls and it was dealt with, I was even given an extra £100.00 from Barclaycard as compensation.

My claim was for a new but faulty running machine that a large retailer was being stroppy and awkward about replacing, after a few wasted days I was told about section 75 and had the last laugh.

drstuf08

had the second call and they offered a credit note of £1799 (value of 65e9) which i declined

they are now trying to find a replacement 65e6v which obviously would be used but if not in perfect condition will also be declined

time to call the credit card company and claim under section 75, i can always cancel the claim if they do find me a replacement tv

edit: section 75 claim in, very easy so far. just waiting for an email so i can supply relevant evidence etc.

Last edited:

mikej

I'm not sure that holding out for a replacement E6 in order to keep hold of a feature you said you don't need is a wise move. Any replacement E6 (whether second-hand or a refurb) could easily have many thousands of hours on it and the same issues could arise again, unless you dramatically changed your viewing habits and stopped watching the problematic channels completely.

OLED manufacturers have implemented a number of improvements to their OLEDs in the years since your model was made which make 'screen burn' less likely so, while you'd lose out on 3D with a refurbed E9, it would at least have 3 years less wear on the panel than an E6.

What's the best case scenario with being successful in the small claims court ? Do you stand to get a full refund or will it be reduced for reasonable use/wear and tear over the 4 years you've had it ? The reason I ask is because the offer you received plus the small claims court costs you're paying would actually buy you a brand new 65" LG BX right now and possibly even a 65" CX or Panasonic HZ980 on Black Friday (if the prices drop like they did last year). I appreciate that you might see this as a bit of a downgrade considering the price you presumably paid for an E6 in 2016, but it's just something else to consider that could put you in a better position (loss of 3D aside) than holding out for another E6 IMO.

FWIW, I totally get where you're coming from with the loss of 3D. My Panasonic plasma failed last year and I was disappointed to discover I would loose that functionality on anything I replaced it with but when I thought about it, it was a feature I only really used a few times a year so I reluctantly had to 'let it go' :)

Last edited:

drstuf08

thanks for you post

my invoice is for £3649 from 07/01/17

a lot of the uneven pixel degradation has been caused by watching 16.9 or 4.3 content or at least in the black bar areas the pixel degradation isnt as bad as the central area. i know there are lots of other bits of burn but it shows a variety of content watched at least, its not just the normal gmtv or news logos

If richer sounds think they can find me a replacement 65 e6v with lowish hours and in excellent condition then they are welcome to try, how can i refuse a like for like at the end of the day but i would be inspecting any potential replacement and if its not in excellent condition it would be rejected

if loosing 3d i would want to go up in size, if they had offered a new or refurb 70+ inch option we woud most likely still been talking

i have put up with the screen in this state for quite a while thinking i had no options, only more recently due to it getting so bad did i bother to do some more investigation to see people getting free repairs or refunds be it via credit card or small claims. as lg have confirmed they have no 3d panels repair isnt an option.

Last edited:

danspree

the CX is a good TV, sound isnt as good and no 3D but it doesnt get the judder my E6 occasionally has

Panel is a bit brighter but its not a night and day 'wow' difference for me, but thats not a criticism of the CX, more praising the E6 which is class still (i might be biased)

Steelhorse75

the CX is a good TV, sound isnt as good and no 3D but it doesnt get the judder my E6 occasionally has

Panel is a bit brighter but its not a night and day 'wow' difference for me, but thats not a criticism of the CX, more praising the E6 which is class still (i might be biased)
I love my E6 gutted she is going this week but at least she is to be replaced by the CX

n1ghtwish

My 65E6V is still going pretty strong. I can't fault it except for a small cluster of dead pixels near the top.

I told RS if more dead pixels shows up I'd like something done about it, but for the time being it's not really noticeable unless you're right in front of the screen.

drstuf08

called lg this morning and they have said the cx that they offered has to be signed off by management so hopefully i should have it in the next 2 weeks. not too happy about it all, i only said i would take the cx to speed the process up, to be honest i dont really want another oled. 🤬

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month

Latest News

What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 28th October 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Tom's Thumbs: What is coming to Netflix in November 2020
  • By AVForums
  • Published
Melco anniversary edition N10 library announced
  • By Andy Bassett