Question LG E6 or Sony Z9D (65in)

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by djobaekdb, Sep 11, 2016.

?

LG E6 or Sony Z9D (65in)

Poll closed Jan 11, 2017.
  1. LG E6

75.0%
  2. Sony Z9D

25.0%
  3. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. djobaekdb

djobaekdb
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which TV wins in a head to head?

I am looking to buy one of these sets, but the reviews make them both seem great. (Which they are)

Judge Based On:

Picture quality/accuracy of 4K, HDR, and Motion.

Disregard audio specs. (TV will be used with an Atmos system)

Set design/aesthetics are also not important.

Will be used with a Playstation Pro that supports graphics up to 4k and HDR gaming.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. AndyRg4

AndyRg4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    ZD9 all day long for me. Whilst OLED does give a very good picture they still suffer with bad motion, especially compared to the Sony. Also whilst they have superb black levels, they suffer from black crush at anything near black, resulting in a lot of missing detail in the shadows.
    The Sony has black levels incredibly close to the OLED but has more than double the peak brightness so when it comes to HDR there is a huge difference

3. djobaekdb

djobaekdb
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the insight. I have a tough decision ahead of me!

4. AndyRg4

AndyRg4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    We are lucky enough in our store to have those exact models side by side playing the same content from a wide range of sources and all our customers agree on the ZD being the better model

5. Slugsy01

Slugsy01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +974
    Urgh, same dilemma! Both looked good when I saw them, but OLED had more pop and better viewing angles, which are important in my set up.

6. djobaekdb

djobaekdb
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Viewing angles aren't a deal breaker for me since viewing is mostly straight on in my setup. Strictly looking for the best picture. Pretty neat you have them side by side wish I had that locally. If the Z9 had Dolby Vision as well I probably would have purchased by now. I hear the HDR is better on the Z9 though.

7. Slugsy01

Slugsy01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +974
    Hi, which store is that? I'm going round in circles trying to choose!

8. AndyRg4

AndyRg4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    It may sound biased but I promise it's not (up until the ZD I would have said the OLED or Panasonics DX902), it's a Sony Centre in Devon. Although it's a Sony Centre we are part of a multi brand company

9. flozuki

flozuki
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have an E6 and that unit is tremendous. Awesome usability, ux and picture quality. A friend of mine bought the ZD9. While the unit has some flaws (according to the thread this is most likely not the norm) and I am not a fan of ATV it still is an amazing TV. So I would recommend to just get the unit you can get for a better price. Either way you are in for a treat :) I would also recommend to check out Panas DX902.

10. Genetrik

Genetrik
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Reactivating this thread. I had posted this in the ZD9 owners thread and unfortunately didn't get any replies (yet):

I am currently considering the 65ZD9 or the 65 E6 from LG. I am a bit of a Sony fanboy and am very happy with my 50W905. However I am huge gamer thus my use case is the following:

-80% PS4 (pro in future)
    -15% Netflix
    -5% TV (wife)

I have checked both TVs on site and also played some Playstation Pro on the ZD9 (Uncharted 4 + Ratched and Clank). The store LG promo material fascinated me frankly more than the promo material that Sony was showing (that LG opera scene looked breathtaking). I guess the word that people are using is "OLED had more pop".

My gaming test experience on the ZD9 was fine as I mostly wanted to get an idea if an input lag of 45 is going to bother me (after the super low one that apparently my W905 has). Felt good to me at least (not planning to play competitive multiplayer games. Focus are single player experiences). Picture was nice no question about it, but the 4K HDR (confirmed in the input that it was indeed one) didn’t really blow me away however. I like to believe that it would be different in my own home with better picture pre-sets.

Anyway I am currently favoring the ZD9 mostly because of one reason: most reviews have praised the amazing HDR picture quality due to the TV’s brightness. I have to yet witness that myself. I also read in 2 different user posts that, whenever both E6 an ZD9 were side by side, most people liked the ZD9’s picture better. In the store I checked they were too far apart sadly.

The price points for me locally here in Finland are the following:
    Sony 65 ZD9: 4 699 EUR
    LG 65 E6: 3 899,90

On paper the price difference should be major enough to forget about the ZD9. But I am in a lucky position to be able to ignore the price difference. So all I want is to have the most glorious 4K HDR picture for my Playstation Pro gaming experience. I am aware of the LG update that reduced the input lag, which is a minor plus point for the OLED I guess. But picture quality is my #1 priority.

Would you guys despite the big price difference recommend me the ZD9? I am ready to pull the plug now even though I am eager to see what will be announced at the CES2017 for likely March / April releases.

Additional note: have you experienced cases where the ZD9 was simply too bright for you? A minor worry that creeped up, the more I read about these amazing TVs.

Would love to hear some opinions on this. Also djobaekdb: What did you buy in the end? Cheers

11. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +592
    I can't advise either way, but I saw both of these TV's in the Blue Water
    John Lewis store today and they're both very impressive. I know I'd be happy with either one of them.

12. Genetrik

Genetrik
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just to report back. Quick summary on my case: I was trying to decide between the LG 65E6 OLED and the 65 ZD9. The LG here in Finland is considerably cheaper (current offer price difference is 1500 EUR). Main usage would gaming with a Playstation Pro.
    At the local market, we hooked up the Pro with both TVs and tested it with Uncharted 4 (level where you have a boat and can explore several small islands). The ZD9 had a much more fluid picture when we rotated the camera quickly around the character. With the E6 the picture looked like it would from time to time stutter a bit. Nothing dramatic but surprising nonetheless. When we deactivated on the Sony the HDR, the difference was neglectable. I am sure other people with hawk eyes would have immediately spotted the difference but not me. Overall picture quality seemed outstanding on both. They were not placed right next to each other so I can't comment on clear differences though.

Unfortunately the test with the E6 was tainted, as the store did not have the latest firmware update installed, which brings HDR support to game mode. Despite our efforts of installing it, it didn't work out. So ultimately we couldn't really test the E6 under fair conditions.

Bottom line:
    I really wanted to leave with a new TV but I am now a bit in limbo. There is no question that both are amazing TVs. On paper the ZD9 should be the better TV for me as HDR brightness should make a difference during gaming (at least that is my assumption). But even with this unfair comparison, I did not see a difference among these great TVs, that would warrant based on my personal opinion, a price difference of EUR 1500. Also there are several things that I like with the LG more: The TV itself I subjectively consider prettier, the remote is more premium and the operating system seems to be nicer as well.

So I am not sure but there is a good chance that I will wait now a bit more (no matter how much it iches) and compare the 2017 E7 VS the Sony OLED. But waiting until June or later.... dang.

13. bonnermartin

bonnermartin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, I favor the Z9D over the OLED because of the following reasons. I have a Andre Rieu Blu-ray disc that I use as a demonstration disc with our Panasonic 65 inch plasma, and it really looks stunning on the plasma, so it was easy to remember what I see at home when I did the comparison in the shop.
    LG OLED 65 inch Sharper image, but colors no better. Black was deep black like our plasma. In the audience we could read the time on one of the audiences wrist watch, just like on our plasma. Frankly I was disappointed with the LG
    Sony Z9D 65 inch The quality of the up scaled image was fantastic. The picture had very impressive dynamic range and looked spectacular. Colors were more vibrant and the image much sharper. In fact they looked a tad too sharp. Like as if the sharpness control needed to be turned down a little. In the Andre Rieu disc there is a part where the camera pans around the back of the audience, and a audience area pole light comes into view. On the Z9D it is bright, like a car head light on high beam. Where as on the LG OLED the light is dull as it is on our plasma. During the part of the disc I watched on the Z9D you could easily read the time on 5 of the audiences wrist watches. Where as on the OLED and our Plasma I could only read the time on 1 wrist watch during the same segment. My only negative is that the blacks are not as good. There was many other positives in favor of the Sony. So I will be purchasing the 75 inch Z9D