LG E6 OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well lockdown hasn’t been kind to my E6! The pixel degredation/burn in/image retention or whatever you want to call it has escalated to the point of no return (after 3yrs & 3mths).
Already had the dreaded GMB logo problem as well as the Netflix & Freeview logos but now can add Fortnite & Minecraft to the list as well as Talksport (that I haven’t listened to for years)!
Will hope to be utilising the Curry’s 5yr Guarantee on this one. Has anyone had any success with them over this? I know they cant repair my E6 as 3D has gone the way of the dodo but what do they do with it? I wouldnt mind paying to keep it as a 2nd gaming/3D tv for my son if possible?

Maybe possible take the TV seller court & claim the cost of the TV back after many months of reversed costs but shops like Currys don't exist as a company in of itself.

Update on my E6.
Sure enough there are no 3D panels available - surprise, surprise!!
I have had a few frustrating weeks with Richersounds because they have had to wait for LG to confirm the status before being able to offer me a proper replacement TV. However, I have had very good communications with Richersounds during that time and eventually settled for a brand new 55E9 as a replacement. I considered the CX but I like the catch up services etc., am not convinced by film maker mode and therefore the E9 was the better bet in my opinion.

I have now had the E9 for nearly two weeks and am very pleased. I can watch the internal apps (Netflix etc. without the lip sync issues that plagued my E6.

I am very happy with the service from Richersounds as they offered me the E9 with the remaining 2.5 years of my E6 warranty or the cash equivalent (£1499). When I stated that they are doing themselves a disservice because I can take the money and go to John Lewis for a brand new E9 for the same price and get a 5 year warranty. Richersounds agreed to supply a brand new 6 year warranty with my E9 so I am very happy.

Still no stock on the Shotscope V3 anywhere - will miss the early discount.

Saw one go on ebay the other day for £235!!

It’s good to hear @Richer Sounds good customer service stories, I’m considering ordering my 77” Oled with them, just trying to find out if they will wall mount it as well.

Update on my E6.
Sure enough there are no 3D panels available - surprise, surprise!!
I have had a few frustrating weeks with Richersounds because they have had to wait for LG to confirm the status before being able to offer me a proper replacement TV. However, I have had very good communications with Richersounds during that time and eventually settled for a brand new 55E9 as a replacement. I considered the CX but I like the catch up services etc., am not convinced by film maker mode and therefore the E9 was the better bet in my opinion.

I have now had the E9 for nearly two weeks and am very pleased. I can watch the internal apps (Netflix etc. without the lip sync issues that plagued my E6.

I am very happy with the service from Richersounds as they offered me the E9 with the remaining 2.5 years of my E6 warranty or the cash equivalent (£1499). When I stated that they are doing themselves a disservice because I can take the money and go to John Lewis for a brand new E9 for the same price and get a 5 year warranty. Richersounds agreed to supply a brand new 6 year warranty with my E9 so I am very happy.
So is E9 really a great improvement over E6 in terms of picture quality?

So is E9 really a great improvement over E6 in terms of picture quality?
Here are my findings so far as regards areas where the E9 is better (IMHO)...
- No lip sync issues on internal apps with E9
- 'Near black' crush is less noticeable
- Screen seems brighter
- Motion is better (BFI) but with obvious darkening of image. Without BFI they are the same
- No purple tinge (3D diffuser?) when turned off
- I find myself commenting on how good the picture seems so I must be noticing some indefinable improvements.

Where the E6 is better........
- 3D!!!!!!!!!!!
- HDR (DV) seems to have more 'POP' (this could be due to settings on E9

Summary
I do find the E9 to be an improvement (except 3D!!) but I was perfectly happy with my E6. It ois certainly not worth 'upgrading' to an E9 (purely due to 3D) but if, like me, you are forced into it by panel faults, then the E9 is a great alternative.

You'd certainly hope that is a settings issue. Although have you just left everything on default? I can't recall altering my DV settings on my E6. Have you looked at regular HDR10 content too? This is meant to be where the 2017-onwards OLEDs are noticeably better.

All defaults are off -settings are as close to my E6 settings as possible.

Here are my findings so far as regards areas where the E9 is better (IMHO)...
- No lip sync issues on internal apps with E9
- 'Near black' crush is less noticeable
- Screen seems brighter
- Motion is better (BFI) but with obvious darkening of image. Without BFI they are the same
- No purple tinge (3D diffuser?) when turned off
- I find myself commenting on how good the picture seems so I must be noticing some indefinable improvements.

- 3D!!!!!!!!!!!

Summary
I do find the E9 to be an improvement (except 3D!!) but I was perfectly happy with my E6. It ois certainly not worth 'upgrading' to an E9 (purely due to 3D) but if, like me, you are forced into it by panel faults, then the E9 is a great alternative.
Thanks for explaining it in details.

[Where the E6 is better........
- 3D!!!!!!!!!!!
- HDR (DV) seems to have more 'POP' (this could be due to settings on E9]

Are you saying that E6 has more pop for HDR and DV content?
How is banding and vignetting on your E9?

There are some sayings that E9 has more clean and clear HDR presentation than E6.

Last edited:
I'm sorry as I'm sure this has been covered before, but is this banding across the bottom of the screen permanent?
I have exactly the same banding, in precisely the same place. I am pretty sure we do not watch the same channels. :) So it seems strange to me, if it is burn-in, that 2 TVs would have the self-same banding in the same place. My initial thought was that it may be part of the circuit board behind the screen that is heating up. But I am not someone with any knowledge or expertise in these matters.

I have exactly the same banding, in precisely the same place. I am pretty sure we do not watch the same channels. :) So it seems strange to me, if it is burn-in, that 2 TVs would have the self-same banding in the same place. My initial thought was that it may be part of the circuit board behind the screen that is heating up. But I am not someone with any knowledge or expertise in these matters.
That seems to be burn-in caused by scrolling news tickers, very common nowadays in almost every channel you watch.

Thanks for explaining it in details.

[Where the E6 is better........
- 3D!!!!!!!!!!!
- HDR (DV) seems to have more 'POP' (this could be due to settings on E9]

Are you saying that E6 has more pop for HDR and DV content?
How is banding and vignetting on your E9?

There are some sayings that E9 has more clean and clear HDR presentation than E6.
DV on the E9 just does not look like HDR at all Whereas it did on the E6. It must be settings but I can’t work out where.
I expect the E9 should be better than the E6 with HDR. My sources are internal apps (Netflix, Apple TV, Disney+, youtube). My Sony UHD player does not support DV but the HDR does look very good.

As for banding and vignetting, I don’t notice any but I do not go looking for it waits test screens etc. Also, I never noticed any On my E6 in normal viewing but I do recall Looking at a test screen on my E6 and there was slight vignetting but never noticeable on normal viewing.

You'd certainly hope that is a settings issue. Although have you just left everything on default? I can't recall altering my DV settings on my E6. Have you looked at regular HDR10 content too? This is meant to be where the 2017-onwards OLEDs are noticeably better.
I take all processing off, have tru motion set to user with judder set to 10 and de-blur to 0 (or other way round?).
I also have a B7 but can’t get Apple TV or Disney + on its internal apps but will have to compare Netflix DV on both sets.

DV on the E9 just does not look like HDR at all Whereas it did on the E6. It must be settings but I can’t work out where.
I expect the E9 should be better than the E6 with HDR. My sources are internal apps (Netflix, Apple TV, Disney+, youtube). My Sony UHD player does not support DV but the HDR does look very good.

As for banding and vignetting, I don’t notice any but I do not go looking for it waits test screens etc. Also, I never noticed any On my E6 in normal viewing but I do recall Looking at a test screen on my E6 and there was slight vignetting but never noticeable on normal viewing.
Did you notice anything regarding motion on your E9?
Is motion on E9 less stuttery than E6?

Did you notice anything regarding motion on your E9?
Is motion on E9 less stuttery than E6?
Stutter is about the same with 24fps material which is a. Haracteristic of the fast OLED panels.
In fact, stutter is about the same on E6, B7 and E9. To me it is only a problem on Fast pan shots but That is down to how the material was filmed rather than an OLED issue.

E6 owners who have it connected to a PC, do you use the PC mode, by changing the icon to PC? I tried it and all my blacks were washed out so i reverted. If so what colour range settings do you use?

Secondly at 3840 x 2160 i can only access a 30hz refresh rate, even when connected directly from PC to TV . I believe for watching mkv movie files/4K content i should aim for 60hz, and how can i achieve it? I have Intel 630 graphics, Windows 10 and an HDMI 2.0 cable. Are these 2 matters connected?

E6 owners who have it connected to a PC, do you use the PC mode, by changing the icon to PC? I tried it and all my blacks were washed out so i reverted. If so what colour range settings do you use?

Secondly at 3840 x 2160 i can only access a 30hz refresh rate, even when connected directly from PC to TV . I believe for watching mkv movie files/4K content i should aim for 60hz, and how can i achieve it? I have Intel 630 graphics, Windows 10 and an HDMI 2.0 cable. Are these 2 matters connected?

From having a look at the Intel site, it's only a HDMI 1.4 capable chipset, so it'll only do up to 30hz via HDMI, it'll do 60hz via Display Port, but obvious the TV doesn't do DP. I assume a HDMI adaptor would just bring it back down to 30hz again if you put one over a DP cable. For movies/TV content it's not a big deal as that will almost exclusively be at 23.976p, maybe 25p for some older content, so if you use movie playback software that adjusts the refresh rate being output to the TV to match the content, you'll be able to watch it exactly as intended. Wouldn't enjoy regular Windows usage at 30fps though :\

From having a look at the Intel site, it's only a HDMI 1.4 capable chipset, so it'll only do up to 30hz via HDMI, it'll do 60hz via Display Port, but obvious the TV doesn't do DP. I assume a HDMI adaptor would just bring it back down to 30hz again if you put one over a DP cable. For movies/TV content it's not a big deal as that will almost exclusively be at 23.976p, maybe 25p for some older content, so if you use movie playback software that adjusts the refresh rate being output to the TV to match the content, you'll be able to watch it exactly as intended. Wouldn't enjoy regular Windows usage at 30fps though :\
Thanks Simon, you really nailed the cause. I’ll pursue the software solution.

Last edited:
- 3D!!!!!!!!!!!

Summary

My E6 was replaced with a CX due to a faulty display.
(I could have had E9, but I wanted the newer CX)

My E6 was calibrated by me, and currently have not calibrated my CX.

I think the E6 calibrated display had a much better picture than the CX does out of the box.
The CX sound is much better than the E6
The program guides are better on the CX.
The E6 remote was much better than the annoying CX remote which does not lay flat.

I think the E6 calibrated display had a much better picture than the CX does out of the box.
The E6 remote was much better than the annoying CX remote which does not lay flat.
Thanks! hamilton.
Can you tell us more about motion handlings of E6 vs CX?( without black frame insertion) I dont understand why BFI is given when one cant use it at the cost of darkening of the whole display.
Does CX has more clean and clear display than E6?( Many claimed 3D filters introduces Dirty screen effect and introduces micro blocking)
Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

Thanks! hamilton.
Can you tell us more about motion handlings of E6 vs CX?( without black frame insertion) I dont understand why BFI is given when one cant use it at the cost of darkening of the whole display.
Does CX has more clean and clear display than E6?( Many claimed 3D filters introduces Dirty screen effect and introduces micro blocking)

Are you planning on changing yours for the CX ?

Thanks! hamilton.

Motion handling is better for my eyes, but everyone is different.

My eyes are sensitive to motion judder, and so I set picture setting Trumotion to Natural,
which looks perfect for me, as I am not sensitive to BFI and do not see so called soap opera effect.

One thing that stood out when I first got the CX is that close ups of people made them look as though they were actually in the room with you, which is something I never noticed with the E6.
The CX does show up poor program material, but when you get a good broadcast the picture is superb and can't fault it.

Hi Hamiltone, very interesting comments, particularly about the calibration. I have an E9 and a B7 and while I would not want to shell out to calibrate them both, it might be worth considering the DIY route. How did you get started and what are the layout costs for equipment if you don't mind me asking?
Many thanks.

Hi Hamiltone, very interesting comments, particularly about the calibration. I have an E9 and a B7 and while I would not want to shell out to calibrate them both, it might be worth considering the DIY route. How did you get started and what are the layout costs for equipment if you don't mind me asking?
Many thanks.

I used X-Rite i1 Display Pro and HCFR open source software with grey scale slides.

The only reason I have not yet calibrated the CX is I have a new laptop and just need to transfer over the grey scale slide pack.
I remember it took me a few evenings in a dark room to perfect it, but the results were worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom