LG E6 OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly it's only our 2016 LG televisions that have this maximum '30.000fps' Dolby Vision limitation. Along with no support for 4K VP9.2 😥
Bah 😥 such a shame for us E6 owners. If it weren't for the 3D I think most of us would be thinking of our next set long ago.

Update on my burn in, they've confirmed they can't source a 3D screen and offered to fix it and give £100 for the convenience. I asked what else they could do given I had the Currys extra cover thingy, they've offered a new set but their initial offer was some LG 65" LED, I didn't get the model number but said that I'd expect any replacement to be an oled. Unfortunately I then had to end the call as I was about to jump on a train, I asked them to look in to what they could offer and that I'd be back in touch tomorrow. I'll see what they say then.
Sad to hear....😔

Bah 😥 such a shame for us E6 owners. If it weren't for the 3D I think most of us would be thinking of our next set long ago.
Really? My E6 still looks great. I can't imagine improvements on the newer models would really be worth the cost to change, unless I absolutely had to get a bigger size and could think of nothing else to do with my (little) money.

Sad to hear....😔

Last update on this. They had no oled sets 'in stock' to replace with, so have offered me a £1300 Currys voucher, which I've accepted.

Now to figure out what to do with it because I've already bought my new TV! I'll have to see if any friends want something from there and sell it for £1k or something!

Update on my burn in, they've confirmed they can't source a 3D screen and offered to fix it and give £100 for the convenience. I asked what else they could do given I had the Currys extra cover thingy, they've offered a new set but their initial offer was some LG 65" LED, I didn't get the model number but said that I'd expect any replacement to be an oled. Unfortunately I then had to end the call as I was about to jump on a train, I asked them to look in to what they could offer and that I'd be back in touch tomorrow. I'll see what they say then.
minimum you should accept is your full money back or an E9

Last update on this. They had no oled sets 'in stock' to replace with, so have offered me a £1300 Currys voucher, which I've accepted.

Now to figure out what to do with it because I've already bought my new TV! I'll have to see if any friends want something from there and sell it for £1k or something!
So you are going to keep your 65E6 and £1300 ?

So you are going to keep your 65E6 and £1300 ?

It's actually a 55" C6 (I posted in here because the sets are close to identical and this has far more traffic!), retail value was £1800.

I've accepted the £1300 but I don't get the set back. It's not the most amazing deal, but given I was planning on selling anyway I've taken it.

It's disappointing that it couldn't be fixed and maintain 3D because I had a friend lined up to purchase it (so I'd have still have got to use it on occasion!).

Why did you buy a new TV without waiting first to see what Currys offer you?

Why did you buy a new TV without waiting first to see what Currys offer you?

It's in my original post on this. I bought a new TV with a plan to sell my old. I picked up the c9 at a decent discount and then, so I could be honest, did the burn in slide checks. That's when I spotted it, TV was covered so sent it in for repair. Thought I'd just share my experience.

It's in my original post on this. I bought a new TV with a plan to sell my old. I picked up the c9 at a decent discount and then, so I could be honest, did the burn in slide checks. That's when I spotted it, TV was covered so sent it in for repair. Thought I'd just share my experience.
I am sure about, not gonna replace my E6 untill it gets unworkable. And I do take care of it from burn-in time to time.

Shame they don't put the frame rate next to the Dolby logo.
Mind you, still doesn’t explain why it plays wi,th Dolby Vision on the Apple TV4K, I’ve got it set to match frame rate. I figured out why i was getting judder on the ATV so back to watching it in there (I’d reset my amp last week and it was ‘processing’ the video signal).

A 120hz panel can't do DV 60FPS is a kind of weird.
It has more to do with the SoC (AV decoding chip-set) rather than the panel. So not weird at all...

It has more to do with the SoC (AV decoding chip-set) rather than the panel. So not weird at all...
What is the point in selling 120hz supported tv that can do HDR at 60 FPS but not DV at the same. Was written on the box and even on office site. They should have mentioned clearly in site that it it supports DV at 30 and not 60fps.

For starters, there are big technical differences in the way 'static' HDR(10) works and 'dynamic' HDR works!

Suffice to say when the 2016 models came out there was very little Dolby Vision content. Indeed, there was only a dozen or so 4K UHD discs. All of which all ran at 23.976fps!

As with most things, over the last three years the technology has moved on and content providers are experimenting with (what is considered) HFR.... Which is content that runs higher than 30fps!

Thanks for info - will check which version of my firmware I have when I get home.
My OLED 55E6V software version is 05.30.60 and checked for updates to be told “no updates found”?!

Should I try to install update via USB?

If you want to go through all the hassle.
It's something that has already happened with other updates, it's not available to everyone at the same time.

It will pop-up sooner or later.

If you don't want to wait you can always download and install via USB but considering it's nothing really important, do you want to have that trouble?

If it is with the SoC and nothing to do with panel, can't we directly connect a 60FPS receiver to the TV and have the content played?

Why bother? There doesn't seem to be anything of interest in there, just let it pop up when it does.
Good advice - will wait. Still unsure why Sky Netflix app audio is better than LG Netflix app?

If it is with the SoC and nothing to do with panel, can't we directly connect a 60FPS receiver to the TV and have the content played?
I meant all the process will be done by player and tv just has to pass dolby vision 60FPS content?

I meant all the process will be done by player and tv just has to pass dolby vision 60FPS content?
No, even if the receiver does all the "processing", the tv still can not handle 4K60 DV because the tv still does all the DV tone mapping. It doesn't have the processiing capability to tone map each frame at 60 fps. The max it can tone map each 4K frame is at 30 fps. The receiver will likely send it as 1080p60 DV or 4K HDR. Again, there is absolutely no way to get 4K60 DV on this tv.

Last edited:
Is it possible for sony active 3D TVs to be used as passive 3D sets? There are few on olx claiming that it does passive even the LeEco super3 max65 which is active 3D set as per reviews and officials. They said since active 3D tvs have same passive 3D filters, can be used as passive but then at the cost of lower resolution. Its so so weird for me to think even abut....

Is it possible for sony active 3D TVs to be used as passive 3D sets? There are few on olx claiming that it does passive even the LeEco super3 max65 which is active 3D set as per reviews and officials. They said since active 3D tvs have same passive 3D filters, can be used as passive but then at the cost of lower resolution. Its so so weird for me to think even abut....
This is an LG owners thread not Sony. Why not ask your question to Sony owners in a Sony thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom