Lg DVX9900H

petrolhead said:
Nice one

I often find myself drawn to listening to the sales patter of Comet, Currys and Dixons sales people and usually manage to get my ten penneth in :D

lol yes it can be quite entertaining at times to hear their knowledge or lack of.:lesson:

Ok well I'm wondering a few things in regards to this player. Currently I have a LG 26" LCD TV and a Samsung 850 DVD player that is on the way out. I am wondering if the DVX9900H will work well with the LG Tv simply because they are made by the same company.

byron_hinson said:
Ok well I'm wondering a few things in regards to this player. Currently I have a LG 26" LCD TV and a Samsung 850 DVD player that is on the way out. I am wondering if the DVX9900H will work well with the LG Tv simply because they are made by the same company.

yes apparently this is the case with this player
ive seen it on an LG display and it looked fine

Ive downloaded some HD Divx Video and burnt the avi files on a dvd. There is only sound but no video, does this Dvd player not play HD divx files?

Probably not as it will not have the right codec

The player is not a HD divx player. Its mediatek based and would have the same resolution limits as all mediatek based players. 720*576, I think, it will say in the manual if you read it.

Got the LG today to try so will give thoughts. Will be using on a H78 and thro my Iscan HD+

hi i have an lg 42" plasma LG 42PX3RV which has a hdmi input from the lg web site these are the specs
Model : 42PX3RV
42" Plasma TV with New XD Engine Technology
High Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI)
HD Compatible
W-VGA Native Resolution 852 x 480
Very Bright 1500 cd/m²
Contrast Ratio 10,000:1
Integrated Speakers 15W x 2
Integrated Desktop Stand
Integrated Dual Analogue TV Tuner
Picture In Picture
Scart, Component, VGA and HDMI inputs CAN ANYONE SUGGEST WHICH HD DVD PLAYER TO GO FOR LG OR SAMSUNG CHEERS DARRON

My findings so far.

Its picture quality is good but I dont think its any better than my DV25 thro the Iscan HD+

NX3 said:
The player is not a HD divx player. Its mediatek based and would have the same resolution limits as all mediatek based players. 720*576, I think, it will say in the manual if you read it.

Correct, I tried the Madagascar HD Divx clip (1280x720) on my LG DVX9900H and would not play but got sound. Any HD Divx media larger than 720x576 will not work with this DVD Player.

btp3473 said:
hi i have an lg 42" plasma LG 42PX3RV which has a hdmi input from the lg web site these are the specs
Model : 42PX3RV
42" Plasma TV with New XD Engine Technology
High Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI)
HD Compatible
W-VGA Native Resolution 852 x 480
Very Bright 1500 cd/m²
Contrast Ratio 10,000:1
Integrated Speakers 15W x 2
Integrated Desktop Stand
Integrated Dual Analogue TV Tuner
Picture In Picture
Scart, Component, VGA and HDMI inputs CAN ANYONE SUGGEST WHICH HD DVD PLAYER TO GO FOR LG OR SAMSUNG CHEERS DARRON
I am no expert, but if you are talking about an unscaling DVD player, I don't think it will make any difference on the above TV. I don't know what LG mean by HD compatible, as I think the resolution on this TV is too low. The minimum for HD, I belive is 1366 x 768.

It means that whilst the TV will accept a HD signal it will then just downscale the picture to the native resolution of the TV, in this case 852 x 480. from what i recall no plasmas under 50" offer a native HD res, they all downscale.

Al

yonderblue said:
Correct, I tried the Madagascar HD Divx clip (1280x720) on my LG DVX9900H and would not play but got sound. Any HD Divx media larger than 720x576 will not work with this DVD Player.

Yonderblue,

Have you done all of the hacks shown earlier (post 54) in this tread? Post 58 infers it will play HD Divx downloads.

twarde said:
Yonderblue,

Have you done all of the hacks shown earlier (post 54) in this tread? Post 58 infers it will play HD Divx downloads.

That was my Take on it, havent tried it tho. I hope he isnt right tho as ive started downloading tons of HD stuff!

As posted by me and yonderblue you will not be able to play divx, xvids with a resolution higher than 720*576. This is a limitation of the mediatek chipset used in the LG player. This will be stated in the LG manual as well and is common to all Mediatek 1389FE, EE, GE chipsets.

Hi

don't know if anyone can help with this one, but I have one of these players, and approx once evry 10-15 mins or so, there'll be a split second burst of noise on the screen.
Also, when watching a film yesterday, it froze twice (like when the layer changes, but permanently).

anyone else had this?

they insist on testing these problems in Comet, but the trouble is, when they are so infrequent and it doesn't happen in the store, it's proving the fault that's the problem!

hi chipsaway, are you watching through an HDMI connection to your display? If so, what cable length? Are you sending the signal to your display scaled to 720 or 1080?

When you say it froze twice, do you mean just the picture froze (but the player kept going - the front panel counter still counting - and it responded to stop and start commands) or do you mean the player itself froze and you had to switch it off and on again?

If you are using HDMI it may be that the connection between the player and display is struggling for some reason such as cable quality or length. You could try running at 576P which is a lower data rate and see if the noise bursts go away.

thanks for the reply kurtz

I'm actually going through 1m component leads, fairly good quality ones.
yup I've tried all the resolutions.

I have tried the HDMI feed, but can't get a stable picture at all, but I think that's the plasma input rather than the player, which is a whole other story, I currently going into battle with Currys to try and return it.

When the pic freezes, I'm sure the player stops totally, ie no counter etc..press stop, and play again, and we're off and running...weird eh?

NX3 said:
As posted by me and yonderblue you will not be able to play divx, xvids with a resolution higher than 720*576. This is a limitation of the mediatek chipset used in the LG player. This will be stated in the LG manual as well and is common to all Mediatek 1389FE, EE, GE chipsets.

SAD

Well I have just got the LG32LX2R and a DVX9900H and the PQ is really bad. I have emailed LG to see if they can help!

The noise in the background looks really terrible, like it has been over compressed or somthing.

Its interesting to see the criticism that we all make on these players. Here goes my two pence worth. I recently looked into an upscaling DVD player and found that playback does vary from one unit to another. The LG did give me very clear pictures, while the Samsung and Sony were a little more blurred. Also the LG was also alot more user friendly than some of the others. I recently tested four players and below are my findings.

The Kiss 1100 Divx - Blue Display, Firmware upgradeable, Cheap looking construction.
Pic Quality: 6
Connection Type: Component
Divx/Xvid: Yes
Price: 159€
:thumbsdow

LG DV-9900h - Slim, Flimsy DVD tray, User friendly Menus, Green Display
Pic Quality: 8
Conection Type: HDMI
Price: 119€
:smashin:

Samsung HD-850 - Good all around player, Slim, Nice looks, Blue Display
Pic Quality: 7
Connection Type: HDMI
Divx/Xvid: ?
Price: 169€
:eek:

Sony DVP-N92S - Nice looks. Flimsy DVD tray like the LG, Blue Display.
Connection Tpye: HDMI
Price: 299€

All were tested with the Samsung LE40M61B 40" LCD TV :D .

By the way I ended up buying the LG. It gave me more bang for my buck, Price/Quality. Also was very easy to switch directly from the remote between the different upscaling resolutions as compared to having to navigate the menus for other players such as the Sony. All in all my choice.

Remember different TVs and different settings will have an effect therefore the above cannot be taken as a scientifically proven test. Its just my experience.

Try the different upscaling players and see why I chose the LG :clap: .

Regards,
John
Lisbon, Portugal.

chipsaway said:
thanks for the reply kurtz

I'm actually going through 1m component leads, fairly good quality ones.
yup I've tried all the resolutions.

I have tried the HDMI feed, but can't get a stable picture at all, but I think that's the plasma input rather than the player, which is a whole other story, I currently going into battle with Currys to try and return it.

When the pic freezes, I'm sure the player stops totally, ie no counter etc..press stop, and play again, and we're off and running...weird eh?

Not a Panny PV500 by any chance:rolleyes: I've had my socket replaced as it had a dodgy connection.

jagost02 said:
Its interesting to see the criticism that we all make on these players. Here goes my two pence worth. I recently looked into an upscaling DVD player and found that playback does vary from one unit to another. The LG did give me very clear pictures, while the Samsung and Sony were a little more blurred. Also the LG was also alot more user friendly than some of the others. I recently tested four players and below are my findings.

The Kiss 1100 Divx - Blue Display, Firmware upgradeable, Cheap looking construction.
Pic Quality: 6
Connection Type: Component
Price: 159€

LG DV-9900h - Slim, Flimsy DVD tray, User friendly Menus, Green Display
Pic Quality: 8
Conection Type: HDMI
Price: 119€
:smashin:

Samsung HD-850 - Good all around player, Slim, Nice looks, Blue Display
Connection Type: HDMI
Divx/Xvid: ?
Price: 169€
:eek:

Sony DVP-N92S - Nice looks. Flimsy DVD tray like the LG, Blue Display.
Connection Tpye: HDMI
Price: 299€

All were tested with the Samsung LE40M61B 40" LCD TV :D .

By the way I ended up buying the LG. It gave me more bang for my buck, Price/Quality. Also was very easy to switch directly from the remote between the different upscaling resolutions as compared to having to navigate the menus for other players such as the Sony. All in all my choice.

Remember different TVs and different settings will have an effect therefore the above cannot be taken as a scientifically proven test. Its just my experience.

Try the different upscaling players and see why I chose the LG :clap: .

Regards,
John
Lisbon, Portugal.

Well just proves your point about TVs and compatability as I found the LG to have the softest picture of the lot. The Sony was razor sharp but displayed a shift which others have reported. Into a 42" Panny PV500. I reckon my Sony 725d of 6 years produced a sharper picture via scart than the LG :thumbsdow

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom