LG DVR useless for satellite users

PDelaney

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I bought a shiny new LG TV. I wanted to get away from Sky and go Free to air. I live in Ireland so that means using a satellite.
The TV came with a DVR. so I plugged in a brand new HDD. The TV formats the HDD for compatibility with the TV. The TV does not warn the HDD cannot be re-formatted for normal use with a laptop or other device.
The TV also does not warn that the DVR only functions with the channels programmed to the TV and cannot record channels received through any other device.
After several exchanges with the Support centre they referred me to a liability exclaimer on their website. Basically it states that no matter what they state in any form they can change their mind as suits their purposes.
I included the full text below.
Before I commit to never purchasing another LG product for the remainder of my days, has anyone else come across this issue and been able to get satisfaction from LG or repair their HDD?
cheers
Paul

The materials on the LG Electronics UK Limited website may contain inaccuracies and typographical errors. LG Electronics UK Limited does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the materials or the reliability of any advice, opinion, statement or other information displayed or distributed through the LG Electronics UK Limited website. You acknowledge that any reliance on any such opinion, advice, statement, memorandum, or information shall be at your sole risk. LG Electronics UK Limited reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to correct any error or omission in any portion of the site without notice. LG Electronics UK Limited may make any other changes to the site, the materials and the products, programs or services described in the LG Electronics UK Limited website at any time without notice.

The materials on the LG Electronics UK Limited web site, and the software made available on the LG Electronics UK Limited website, are provided "As Is" without any representation or warranty, express or implied, of any kind, including, but not limited to, warranties of merchantability, non-infringement, or fitness for any particular purpose.

"The TV came with a DVR"
"so I plugged in a brand new HDD"

What is the model no of the Tv and DVR?
What do you mean by "I plugged in a brand new HDD"...plugged into what?...the Tv or the DVR

Last edited:
I think the OP really means the TV can record onto a USB hard drive.
Naturally a DVR is a separate piece of equipment.

Trollslayer said:
I think the OP really means the TV can record onto a USB hard drive.
Naturally a DVR is a separate piece of equipment.

Yes, I realise that but the way he's laid out the problem is confusing hence my query.

I think what the OP is asking is,

is it normal that a tv with an inbuilt dvr can only record from it's own internal sources, so in the case of the LG the inbuilt freeview tuner. Then yes this is normal

is it normal that a tv with an inbuilt dvr will format a hard drive in it's own way to stop you watching the recorded files on a pc . Then yes this is normal for copywrite reasons.

I'm sure once you've finished using the hdd on your tv. If you plugged it into a pc it would offer to format it for you for pc use. But you won't be able to use it as a hard drive for pc and tv at same time i don't belive

hope that answers the questions :)

I think what the OP is asking is,

I'm sure once you've finished using the hdd on your tv. If you plugged it into a pc it would offer to format it for you for pc use. But you won't be able to use it as a hard drive for pc and tv at same time i don't belive

hope that answers the questions :)

You're right, the format used by the TV can't be seen in Windows and vice versa - I've changed formats between my 42LM620T's PVR facility and my PC on a couple of drives recently. At first they don't seem to show up on 'My Computer' in Windows, until you go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Storage, where you can kill off the existing partition, create a new one and format it for use with a PC.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom