LG DVD receiver/player...aargggh!

spaced

Standard Member
Hi guys

Have the LG DVD receiver HT304 hooked up with 5 speakers to the back (speakers came with it). I also have an LG Plasma. When I watch DVDs I get sound from the speakers, but when I watch tv only the tv speakers work, no matter what function I put the receiver on (tv audio, aux, USB, DVD etc). However the Nintendo wii is hooked up to the audio ports to the back of the tv and the sound from that comes from the speakers

I'm soooo confused and need so advice on how t get the sound from normal tv to come out of the 5 speakers

mentm

Try using an optical cable.

skk3

How is your DVD receiver connected to the TV?

spaced

Standard Member
skk3 said:
How is your DVD receiver connected to the TV?

Virgin media box connected to HDMI 1, DVD receiver/player with speakers is not connected to the tv. Xbox connected multicoured HDI on tv and PS3 connected to HDMI2. Therefore i purchased a red and white audio cable which I connected from DVD receiver to the tv's audio connections which are on AV3. Doesn't work, because only something shown on AV3 plays out of the speakers. The virgin media box is on the HDMI1 channel and therefore won't play out of the speakers. Same as the Xbox and PS3 as none are on the AV3 channel. Cant have Virgin Media on AV3 as it's a high def box and must be played via HDMI on the HDMI 1 channel. Soooo confused!!!

mentm

Has your tv and the dvd box got an optical connection?

mentm

First point would be to look. Exactly what model tv and dvd do you have?

You can try scart to rca, optical to rca, optical switches, rca switches, etc etc

spaced

Standard Member
mentm said:
First point would be to look. Exactly what model tv and dvd do you have?

You can try scart to rca, optical to rca, optical switches, rca switches, etc etc

Wow I have enough cables as it is, optical sounds best option. Tv = LG 42P J350 and DVD = LG DVD Receiver HT304

spaced

Standard Member
HT304 doesn't have an optical connection. I assume I have no way forward with this?

mentm

You could try an optical to stereo rca converter next, or scart to rca probably the cheaper option..

TBH I would be thinking about upgrading your surround sound to one with more inputs. Using stereo RCA you are never going to get true 5.1 anyhow.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom