Lg Dvd-hdd Recorder Rh7823w Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by pancho, Aug 27, 2005.

1. pancho

pancho
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :clap: Hi.....I am new here, been following this forum - very informative. Help me to decide between LG RH7823W VS Panasonic DMR-EH50. The Panasonic is impressive - 80GB HDD, 2 S-Vid in, 1 S-Vid out, 2 RGB Scart, 1 component set, 1 SD Card slot but without a DV-In connection for digital DV camcorders, while LG has 160GB HDD, DV-in, 1 set component, 1 S-Vid In (front) and 1 S-Vid out (rear), 2 Card slots with no RGB scarts at all...but scart's no problem, as in this region, scart connectors are not used. Price being same - about USD 550/- for both, which one is a better buy ?? What could be logic behind a company like Panasonic to come out with a good set, but without a DV-Input ! LG looks to be a better buy pricewise, but any indication on it's performance ?? anyone ?? :lease:

2. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Probably only a person who has the two machines could answer this question for you. The Panasonic machine has the convenience of using DVD-RAM discs whilst I do not think the LG supports DVD-RAM. Why Panasonic discontinued the use of the DV input seems a mystery. It has been commented upon several times in this forum. It isn't on the Panasonic E85 machine I have but it is on the E60 Panasonic which is a machine I don't often use now. Like LG most of the JVC machines have DV input. Just click on the illustrated models in this link to check.

http://www.digital-point.co.uk/dvd_recorders.php

If the DV connection is important to you then you will have to base your choice of puchase accordingly.

3. pancho

pancho
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Royold....let me focus the question - transfer of DV tape through DV (i-link) input - is it in any way superior to S-Video transfer from the Camcorder ? not the theoretical stuff - digital to digital as against digital - analogue - digital - practically does the picture look any different / better if copied through DV input ??

4. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Sorry I cannot answer your specific question as I do not possess any camcorder to use this with. I have never used the DV input on my Panasonic E60 machine. In fact the only camera I have is a Minolta last used in 1983 I think! It still has the part used film inside.

Perhaps someone who does use a modern camera & the DV input will answer this for you. There has been much comment re Panasonic removing this particular socket from
    current models so evidently, some people on here do have a use for it.

5. Martin Potgiate

Martin Potgiate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. Martin Potgiate

Martin Potgiate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Can anybody comment on the LG RH7624W DVD Recorder. The DVD,S I burn can not be copied by a DVD write on a PC. I believe that on must use the VR mode. Has anybody got experience with this sort of thing?
    Regards,
    Martin Potgieter.

7. pancho

pancho
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :hiya: Ended up buying the 160GB LG Rh7823W, I certainly need the DVI input for the Camcorder as well as for the Digital Camera. Will test the machine - and let you all know how good / bad (hopefully not) it is in about a weeks time. Exterior certainly is neat - rear panel also - no clustering nor crowded. It is the first time I have moved away from the japanese makes for this LG. Touchwood !

8. Andre.LouwZA

Andre.LouwZA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup: Magic product..

Can anyone advise on how to change the region code to play older DVD's?
    A password is reguired to do this
    :lease: .

9. Rony_a

Rony_a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

To enable the LG recorder play NTSC region movies:
    - push "setup" on your remote
    - move the cursor to the padlock icon on the screen
    - while there, press the 0 (zero) key on the remote Seven times
    - a confirming message will appear announcing the player is now able to play other region movies

Enjoy,,,

Rony_a:smashin: