LG dvc9800

enfield250

Standard Member
Reaction score
This is the second machine I have had and has now developed thes ame fault as the first. The problem is the video quality becomes very poor, and when you switch to still picture there is a noise bar covering the top 3rd. of the picture, the first machine lasted a fortnight before it failed and this one has lasted a month. Before I take it back to the shop, has anyone else had a similar problem with this machine. I first thought it was dirty heads,but I have put both wet and dry cleaners through the machine and the problem remains.
Cheers,
enfield 250

What you describe certainly does sound like dirt on one of the heads. Not using BASF tape, by chance, are you?

No Nigel, I have only played about 4 pre-recorded tapes, I have made one recording and that came out fine. I will get a new head cleaner and try that first. Thing is I have not had aproblem with the old Grundig I have been using for about the last 5 years, I only bought the LG as an upgrade.
Cheers!

The problem arises only with tapes which were recorded previously on the old machine???

In which case it might be an alignment issue; the old machine is the more suspect (but that's no guarantee). Alignment issues often take the form whereby a machine will happily play back its own recordings, but not others, and/or its recordings are not played back properly on other machines.

If it is the old machine that's drifted out, then, sadly, there's not much you can do to restore the (incorrectly recorded) tapes, except to copy them.

Try a bought tape or two and/or tapes recorded on others' machines to try and work out which machine is out of adjustment.

Nigel,
when I said pre-recorded I meant proper purchased films, not recording I had made. I bought a new head cleaner ran it through. It had no effect it's as if 2 of the heads aren't working. The noise bar is symptomatic of a head problem. Anyway I have taken it back to Argos and changed it for a Samsung, the picture on video is very good. Mind you the picture on the LG when I got from the shop was good, I just hope this machine lasts longer.
Thanks for your help!
Enfield250

OK Glad you've got it sorted.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom