LG drt389h recording problems

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by cj100, Jul 31, 2012.

1. cj100

cj100
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone, I'm really having trouble with my LG DRT389H.
    What I'm trying to do is record from one of my many gaming consoles (using scart cables) using the DRT389H. Lets take one video game system I use: The super nintendo. First of all I connect the super nintendo with scart cables into the front ports of the recorder. Then I would connect an HDMI cable to the HDMI output port at the back of the recorder. All I get is a static, I cannot get a picture/sound what so ever.
    I would just like to know if I'm doing something incorrect. EG. Am I setting it up wrong? Am I using the right ports for input and output connections? Is the reason I can't get a picture because I am using a HDMI output source, instead of one of the scart output sources (although that's a problem in itself because I don't really know which scart ports are outputs, and which are inputs! I never had the manual for the recorder, due to it being second hand)
    I have spent sooo much time trying to set this poxy thing up and now I have just ran out of ideas! If anyone can help with any additional information, or even better fix my problem! I would be extremely grateful!

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,570
    Hi and welcome.
    Let's clear up a few things first, you cannot be connecting a scart lead from your Nintendo to the front of the LG DVDR as no DVDR has scart sockets on their front panel, look at the back of your DVDR and you'll see two 21 pin sockets...those are scart sockets for scart leads.
    The front-mounted sockets on most DVDRs are composite video and stereo audio phono sockets also known as RCA connectors, these will be coloured Yellow (for Video), Red and White (for stereo audio) and these are what you should connect your Nintendo to.
    You then need to select these sockets as the input on the DVDR using it's remote control...this is usually AV3 on most models.
    How the DVDR is connected to the TV has no bearing on your problem, so if it was originally connected by HDMI and playing DVDs leave it as such.
    The user manual is probably available under support on the LG website.
    Report back and let us know how you get on.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  3. cj100

cj100
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your reply. Yes it is RCA cables I've been using not scart, I got them mixed up! I have done what you said; I've connected the nintendo's RCA cables to the front of the DVDR. I have then tried to press the av/input select button on the DVDR's remote, but nothing happens I still get static, I get no connection what so ever.

4. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,570
    Right, let's try and narrow this down.
    With the TV on the input for the DVDR, what choices of input come up on the TV (and on the front display of the DVDR) when you press the DVDRs input button?

5. cj100

cj100
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only input button i can see is the one on the DVD's remote. when I press the av/input button nothing happens, both on the TV screen and the DVDR itself.

6. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,570
    If nothing happens then the DVDRs input isn't changing and that's the cause of your problem.
    Does the DVDRs remote have a switch marked TV/DVD perhaps which is in the wrong position?
    When you press the AV/input button you should see a change displayed in the LCD window...i.e. if the DVDR was set to programme 3 on it's analogue tuner then "3" would be displayed and if you then pressed the AV input button and selected AV1 or AV2 the "3" would be replaced by AV1or AV2.

7. cj100

cj100
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only thing that comes on the screen is when I go to the home menu to try and see if I can change anything there, sometimes a message appears on my screen saying try channel setup first. I have done this "channel setup" numerous times, and still doesn't make a blind bit of difference. And as I said before when ever I press the input button on the remote, nothing comes up!

8. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,570
    When you ask someone for help on a forum it's a good idea to try what they suggest and reply to any questions they ask you...rant over :lesson:

I've just downloaded the user manual from here and it shows the remote control and its button layout.
    It does have a TV/DVD button which toggles between operating an LG TV and operating an LG DVD...you need to press it so that it operates your DVDR.
    The AV input button you need to press is the one on the LHS under the power button...not the one on the RHS...that's for operating an LG TVs input.
    As for channel setup, do you have an aerial connected to it?

9. cj100

cj100
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My remote looks slightly different to the remote shown in the manual, Where the TV/DVD button should be there's just a * button instead, and when I push this button all that happens is the TV displays a message which simply says mono. And as for the input/AV button yes that is the button I have been pressing.

10. cj100

cj100
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would you need to let the DVDR find a channel first before I can see or record my gameplay footage? For example do I need to connect some type of TV ariel or ariel cable to the DVDR before I can record anything? Even though if I was to put an ordinary DVD in the DVDR right now, it would play it straight away on the channel I always use on my TV for HD devices, which on my TV is titled HDMI 1?

11. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,570

I doubt it but it's possible setup needs to complete before It'll allow you to record anything from another source.
    Is it also possible you have the wrong remote for it?

12. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    I believe with these units it is necessary to go through the setup procedure (tuning) before it will permit access to AV selection.

So it needs some analogue RF source to do this.
    It is likely that the OP is in an area where Analogue has been turned off so using an aerial will not provide what is necessary.

cj100 do any of your consoles provide an RF output?
    If so, that could be used to provide the one RF channel for the DVDR to tune to which would permit you to complete to the setup.

One word of warning that may pose problems later - Many consoles produce 60Hz outputs which DVDR's cannot intake... so if the consoles have 50 Hz Pal options ensure that they are switched to that option.

13. cj100

cj100
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think part of the problem here is the DVDR remote itself. I've had a look at the remote shown in the manual and compared it to my remote. They are almost identical, expect for a few things so I kinda thought my remote might be a new model or something. But as I study it a bit harder, at the bottom of the remote it's got the LG logo but underneath it says Blu ray disk player? Now do any of you know whether this DVDR is compatible with blu ray disks? I don't think it is, which must mean I have been given the wrong remote!
    Gavtech I think one of my consoles might have an RF cable which would usually go into the back of the TV if I was to actually play the console. Are you saying maybe instead of using the RCA cables for the input, I should try and use an RF cable instead?

14. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    No definitely not.

I am saying that you cannot achieve what you are trying to do UNLESS the machine has gone through the setup procedure first - For that process ONLY , you need any device that will put out a modulated RF channel....connected to the DVDR by RF cable.

This must be done before you attempt to do anything else. Once it has been done once, the machine will then be free to do what you are trying to do... and you can discard the RF connection.

15. cj100

cj100
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First of all guys I wanna thank you both very much for the support you have given me this far! Thanks to you I am able to record all of my consoles which support an RF cable! I did what you said to do Gavtech and hooked up my original nintendo with it's RF cable, then eventually it found the picture & sound for it! So thank you very much for that!
    However now the DVDR has found a channel which I can see my RF cable consoles, I still cannot manage to pick up any of my consoles which use RCA cables. I have tried pressing the AV/input button on the "RF cable channel" whilst I have one of my consoles hooked up to the DVDR with RCA cables, but nothing happens. As Jaycee pointed out, it could very well be I have the wrong remote for the DVDR. It looks almost the same as the remote in the manual, but there are differences. And as I mentioned in one of my previous posts; the remote I have says blu ray disc player at the bottom of it, and i'm pretty sure this DVDR can't play Blu ray discs. If you have any other solutions I could try to get my consoles using RCA cables to work with my DVDR, that would be great. Cheers guys!