LG DRT389H DVD recorder no display

72sub

Standard Member
Hi,
I'm at freshie at this so excuse me if I write something really amateur.
I bought a LG DRT389H DVD recorder from a well-known website last week, which is a B-quality machine ie. it has been reconditioned.
It did not come with a manual so when first turning it on and confronted with 'poor signal' messages I thought 'this is going straight back'.
Anyway, I navigated to a page which automatically downloaded Freeview channels and I managed to make a few recordings on a DVD-R and found the 'finalize' function so all was good.
However, tonight I set up a DVD-RW, formatted it, and set the timer for the zombie programme on FX as I have the machine running through my Virgin cable box.
It seems to have recorded because there are markings on the disc but I couldn't play it, finalize it to play it on another dvd, or even play any dvds on it.
When I turn it on, the LG logo flashes up quickly but then there is no further display on the TV.
It appears to be functioning otherwise because the 'hello' message comes up on the machine panel as does 'home' when I press that.
But not a dickie bird on screen.
I also tried disconnecting from the Virgin box and put the scart straight into the TV.
Still no display whatsoever.
I fancy I'm going to have to send it back and learn a lesson but if anyone knows if I'm doing something wrong or can suggest a cure I would be very grateful.
Thanks

Gavtech

Administrator
Welcome to the forum.

The first thing to do is download the manual from here and see if you can make any progress.

72sub

Standard Member
Thanks Gavtech.
I decided to start plugging all the cables for TV, virgin box and dvd recorder all back in from scratch because the DVD recorder was displaying on a diiferent TV with no other peripherals fitted.
I managed to make it all work but now have to turn the dvd recorder to watch Virgin box through that - which is fine.

I guess the thing that has stumped me is that the display was working through the Virgin box to start with and then it decided it wouldn't work any more with no reason - i can guess a scart was loose or something but it's no more than a guess.

Thanks

x70

Standard Member
Hi 72sub,
i am in a very similar situation as your, i bought that b-quality machine and when connected to VBox i got a big issue:
the image is ok but the audio is not there, or actually i can just here strange high pitch noises, like twits.
I got some hints already in the forum (settings on the recorder, scart cables, etc.) but none of them has solved the issue and i'm convinced that there is something wrong with the "AV2 Decoder" port of the recorder. But still i dont want to believe it...
My VM box is V+ HS Samsung.
Would you mind to share in detail how did you connect TV, HD box and the LG recorder?
Many thanks,
x70

72sub

Standard Member
Hi x70,
I assume you got it at a very popular selling site from a firm with the initials DE?
I called him about my problems and he told me mine would be the first to be sent back (apart from someone in Holland whose TV wouldn't accept the recorder) and was more than happy to give refund or a new unit - hope that eases any fears you have about exchanges with the dealer.
He also said he would pay for postage to return to him which was good.

Anyway, I decided to plug my things in a different way around.
I'm at work so can't see what the exact order was but I think I had a scart from tv to dvd recorder, a scart from recorder to Vbox. External aerial to Vbox and RF connections between Vbox and recorder, and another back into the TV.

Previously, when I turned my TV and Vbox on, the TV would already be on AV 2 (which was connected to Vbox) so I could simply turn Vbox on and watch.
Now I have to turn my DVD recorder on to watch Vbox through the recorder's AV2 channel otherwise I can only watch Freeview through the TV's internal Freeview.

It's no problem to me and I'm afraid I can't really give an opinion on the odd noises.

I'll have a look later to see if there is any difference in the wiring up to what I have written above.

Additionally, I don't think my Vbox has an hdmi connection so you could use those ports to gain a better quality than I can through scarts.

Hope this is of some help.

x70

Standard Member
Hi 72sub,

actually i got mine from ebay; the seller who is selling many of these units. I have contacted the seller and told my intention to get a refund or replacement.
Still waiting for feedback after explaining the issue in detail.

Your config is more complex than mine as you have an aerial, which i dont have. I can only see TV channels through the VBox.
So for me it is a very simple setup. I have tried with three scarts (VBox to TV, Recorder to TV, VBox to Recorder) and also with 2 HDMIs (VBox to TV, Recorder to TV) and one scart (VBox to Recorder). For connecting the V box to the recorder, you can only use a scart.
As said, the recorder would show the image but wont play the sound. The recorder works ok if used as DVD player.

I have connected in the same way my old VCR (just swapped the recorder) and it works perfectly.
The only thing left to try is to connect the VCR (instead of the VBox) to the Recorder and see the recorder can play/record the signal coming from the VCR (eg a tape) and show it on the TV.

And i have followed the advise given on this forum (other posts) on the settings for the recorder

Thanks again,
x70

72sub

Standard Member
Hi X70,
Yes I meant eBay and from a seller called Durham Emporium. He also told me that he gets his stock from some place in Manchester and they are not refurbished but unwanted purchases – make of that what you will.

Your set up seems to be fine. Better than mine because I still have an older DVD player in the AV1 scart socket of my TV (just to test the 'finalized' DVDs from the recorder).
And, of course, you have HDMI connections too.

In regard to the VCR, I also simply swapped mine and it worked OK for the day then I had my problem for reasons unknown to me – and that's what prompted me to try a different set up.

I don't quite understand how your recorder has audio problems and yet can play DVDs without a problem.

I can only think there is, as you suspect, some kind of fault.
Or your Vbox has some kind of Macrovision built in, which is what most VCRs had to prevent people from copying things.
In fact I don't think I could record things such as films I hired from Virgin's Movie collection on to my VCR because of what I thought was Macrovision.
Yet recording from TV was not a problem.

(Macrovision makes your VCR record at odd bursts of speed and the sound would distort. And it would always prevent tape-to-tape recordings).

Is the problem when you record something from your Vbox hard drive or when you try to record something from TV?

Regards

Gavtech

Administrator
Hi 72sub,
i am in a very similar situation as your, i bought that b-quality machine and when connected to VBox i got a big issue:
the image is ok but the audio is not there, or actually i can just here strange high pitch noises, like twits.
I got some hints already in the forum (settings on the recorder, scart cables, etc.) but none of them has solved the issue and i'm convinced that there is something wrong with the "AV2 Decoder" port of the recorder. But still i dont want to believe it...
This problem is not that uncommon and is consistent with damage to the input/ output audio / video processing signal routing chip.
It is most likely caused by static discharges coming down leads when they are connected [ but difficult to prove ]

For this reason, the ends of phono plugs and pins of any connectors should not be touched when making connections and all connection should be made with units unpowered.

You need to test your machine for a confirmation of problem by feeding in another audio input - from any source that you know is reliable.

If you get the same result on the AV2 channel then the machine requires replacement.

x70

Standard Member
Thanks Gavtech.

I have already tried both SCART inputs of the recorder.
Is it possible that the damage is confined to the chip/processor that control the SCART ports only? The only other option i have for feeding a signal to the recorder is the aerial. So should it tried with aerial or in any case that wouldn't prove anything?

PS: i dont have an aerial now otherwise i would have done quick try already. I need to source a portable one, hence my question if it's worth doing it.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom