LG DRT389H DVD recorder disc formatting problem.

laserboy31

Standard Member
Hello to you all. This is driving me crazy. I recently purchased a refurbished LG DRT389H dvd recorder. It records onto DVD-R discs but will not record onto DVD-RW or DVD+RW discs. Each time I put an RW type disc in it automatically starts to initialise the disc (counts down from 2 min 30 secs.)but after about 30secs it goes straight to 0 mins 00 secs and says disc has initialised, when I press ok the disc automatically starts to initialise and after 30 secs it says it has initialised, each time ok is pressed the same thing happens. I have tried 2 discs as recommended in the manual and by LG customer services (HP and Verbatim, both 4x speed) but exactly the same thing happens. I tried a SKY DVD-RW, which faired a little better, but after 1 min the same thing happened. This is costing me a fortune. I cannot understand why it will record onto the dvd-r discs but not a dvd-rw disc.

Any help much appreciated, I am beginning to think I have bought a duff unit.:(:(:(:(

Gavtech

Administrator
but after about 30secs it goes straight to 0 mins 00 secs and says disc has initialised, when I press ok the disc automatically starts to initialise and after 30 secs it says it has initialised, each time ok is pressed the same thing happens. (

Do you have an option to close or exit the format screen rather than pressing OK?

bonzobanana

30 seconds to initialise maybe all it needs for 4x media, the sky media maybe 2x speed hence 1min and slower 1x media takes 2mins plus. So the operation maybe completed in that time.

advido

Hello to you all. This is driving me crazy. I recently purchased a refurbished LG DRT389H dvd recorder. It records onto DVD-R discs but will not record onto DVD-RW or DVD+RW discs. Each time I put an RW type disc in it automatically starts to initialise the disc (counts down from 2 min 30 secs.)but after about 30secs it goes straight to 0 mins 00 secs and says disc has initialised, when I press ok the disc automatically starts to initialise and after 30 secs it says it has initialised, each time ok is pressed the same thing happens. I have tried 2 discs as recommended in the manual and by LG customer services (HP and Verbatim, both 4x speed) but exactly the same thing happens. I tried a SKY DVD-RW, which faired a little better, but after 1 min the same thing happened. This is costing me a fortune. I cannot understand why it will record onto the dvd-r discs but not a dvd-rw disc.

Any help much appreciated, I am beginning to think I have bought a duff unit.:(:(:(:(

.....sounds about right (I've got similar model).....

Are you actually 'formating; VR mode with the format command ?

Have you actually tried recording onto these 'duff' dvds...?

I would imagine that they would be OK....!

Last edited by a moderator:

laserboy31

Standard Member
Do you have an option to close or exit the format screen rather than pressing OK?
The only option it gives me is to press "OK" after "formatting", no other buttons function. If I want to eject the disc I have to quickly press "OPEN/CLOSE" as soon as I press "OK". I have no option to Format in VR mode, without a disc inserted the options are greyed out. As soon as put a DVD-RW or DVD+RW into the recorder it automatically starts to format and gets stuck in the loop. It records on normal DVD-R

laserboy31

Standard Member
.....sounds about right (I've got similar model).....

Are you actually 'formating; VR mode with the format command ?

Have you actually tried recording onto these 'duff' dvds...?

I would imagine that they would be OK....!
The only option it gives me is to press "OK" after "formatting", no other buttons function. If I want to eject the disc I have to quickly press "OPEN/CLOSE" as soon as I press "OK". I have no option to Format in VR mode, without a disc inserted the options are greyed out. As soon as put a DVD-RW or DVD+RW into the recorder it automatically starts to format and gets stuck in the loop. It records on normal DVD-R

advido

.....OK - have to agree - sounds like you got a 'bad' one....

(I'm using Datawrite 'Classic' Yellow label -r ,+r -rw and also dual layer.. no probs (so far) with anything...)

bonzobanana

Sounds like the dvd drive is struggling to read the discs after formatting so the recorder never fully completes the operation. If the recorder has the option to do a full factory reset I would try that though. dvd-r discs take more laser power to write but are more easy to read afterwards. dvd-rw discs take less laser power to write but the discs aren't as easy to read afterwards. Have you tried using a laser cleaning disc?

laserboy31

Standard Member
Sounds like the dvd drive is struggling to read the discs after formatting so the recorder never fully completes the operation. If the recorder has the option to do a full factory reset I would try that though. dvd-r discs take more laser power to write but are more easy to read afterwards. dvd-rw discs take less laser power to write but the discs aren't as easy to read afterwards. Have you tried using a laser cleaning disc?
Thanks will give that a try.

advido

....I think that is why these so called 'refurbished' machines are sometimes more trouble than they are worth... It's a bit of 'pot luck' whether you get a good 'un or a bad' un....!
There's got to be a reason why these were sold as such... Your machine was probably a return from its original owner and sold as a batch lot to your seller precisely because the original owner also had problems with it......
The seller is hardly likely to put a brand new laser component in - probably wipes it over - cleans off the dust and sells it off as 'refurbished'.....
It's a chance you have to take..... Have you any comeback or warrantee with your seller ? If so - get a refund or maybe take a chance with another machine....

bonzobanana

Some refurbs are good though. My old Panasonic AE100 projector was a refurb and cost me about £800 at the time, the new models were upto £1300 in the shops back then. My refurb is still going today without issues where as generally these projectors were dropping like flies shortly after warranty. Reason being these projectors had a manufacturing fault where low spec capacitors were fitted in the psu stage. The refurbs had upgraded capacitors where as retail models didn't. So if there is some inherent design fault thats been corrected sometimes refurbs are better. Refurbishment can mean anything though and should always be treated with caution. A end customer may buy a dvd recorder that keeps crashing once a week and returns it to the store for a refund. This ends up on ebay as fully working and refurbished as the seller hasn't tested it for more than a day or so.

advido

.....agree... some refurbs can be an absolute bargain....!

As stated earlier - i've also got a refurb LG DRT389H (from eBay) and it's working very well and am well satisfied (purchased about 8 weeks ago)....

I was going to go down the Sony / Panasonic route for a DVD/HDD recorder but thought I'd take chance and so far i'm pretty happy.....

laserboy31

Standard Member
On closer inspection I have noticed the serial no: label on both the dvd recorder and box are missing. Guess I have got a dud one, hence the cheap price I paid. Any recommendations for a replacement one, will buy from high street company this time.

advido

On closer inspection I have noticed the serial no: label on both the dvd recorder and box are missing. Guess I have got a dud one, hence the cheap price I paid. Any recommendations for a replacement one, will buy from high street company this time.

suggest ..SONY or PANASONIC :)

bonzobanana

Just thought of another refurbishment that was bad. My mother bought a refurbished humax pvr from I think humax direct. The thing would just keep crashing all the time. Humax customer service was fantastic and it was collected quickly and refunded in full but the unit obviously had a major issue which hadn't been sorted.

laserboy31

Standard Member
.....agree... some refurbs can be an absolute bargain....!

As stated earlier - i've also got a refurb LG DRT389H (from eBay) and it's working very well and am well satisfied (purchased about 8 weeks ago)....

I was going to go down the Sony / Panasonic route for a DVD/HDD recorder but thought I'd take chance and so far i'm pretty happy.....
Could you give me a step-by-step guide on what happens when you put a blank/new dvd-rw into your recorder. As we have the same one maybe I am not doing something right. Thanks.

advido

Could you give me a step-by-step guide on what happens when you put a blank/new dvd-rw into your recorder. As we have the same one maybe I am not doing something right. Thanks.

This is with a new unformatted DVD-RW..

OPEN / insert NEW unformatedd disc....

1. CANNOT RECOGNISE DVD-RW
Initialise the Disc
YES - NO

.....PRESS 'Y'

2. DISC FORMAT (takes about 20 seconds)

3 INITIALISATION COMPLETE

That's it - all ready to record onto or dub from HDD

laserboy31

Standard Member
This is with a new unformatted DVD-RW..

OPEN / insert NEW unformatedd disc....

1. CANNOT RECOGNISE DVD-RW
Initialise the Disc
YES - NO

.....PRESS 'Y'

2. DISC FORMAT (takes about 20 seconds)

3 INITIALISATION COMPLETE

That's it - all ready to record onto or dub from HDD
Thanks for that advid. When I get to the "INITIALISATION COMPLETE" I press "OK" and the whole intialisation procedure starts again. Sholud I be pressing "OK" or something else?

advido

Thanks for that advid. When I get to the "INITIALISATION COMPLETE" I press "OK" and the whole intialisation procedure starts again. Sholud I be pressing "OK" or something else?

..with what i've shown previously I can press the record button on the remote and begin recording immediately on the newly formatted DVD....

...however try this...... after above...

Press HOME on remote to get menu bar along top of screen

go to EASY MENU / SETUP

go down to DISC Icon

go to DISC FORMAT

press START

you are given a choice of VR or Video mode

Chose (suggest) Video Mode

Formatting Begins

OK

now ready to record

kriandos

Standard Member
Hi folks, I've just joined AV Forums and need some advice regarding my LG DRT 389H which I bought new about 2 years ago. I chose it after reading many favourable reviews but now it refuses to play any disc whatsoever !!! I've seldom used it so it can't be worn out .... any suggestions please ???

Djohn

Novice Member
Hi,
I've just joined this forum having read other users problems with LG Recorders. I am on my second DRT389H which is about 17 months old and it will not accept a disc to record on although it will play shop bought pre recorded discs. When I insert a disc to record on a message appears saying 'Unknown Disc. Please check disc again', the disc then ejects itself therefore I have no option to do anything in the disc section of the menu.
Funny thing is that the previous same model lasted about as long then had exactly the same problem, I use this as a digi box now on an old TV and use it to view DVD's although it will not record.
I have to ask myself does this particular recorder only last for a set period of time, if so that's pretty naf and having had the same problem twice I certainly have lost faith in LG who, incidently I did contact previously with my problem and found their response pathetic with suggestions to do the obvious which I had already tried. Their final suggestion was to send the unit to them for repair but in my opinion the cost of post and repair was more than the unit was worth so I bought a new one!! Silly me, I shall not ever consider LG for anything in the future, another lost customer!!

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
AV Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
REL Acoustics announces new Serie HT subwoofer trio