Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

LG DR4810 DVD recorder - reviews please?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by GGTVBD, Jun 18, 2004.

1. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Does anyone have one of these? What's it like?

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,586
    Did you see the review in Home Cinema Choice (July) or What Video (June)? General consensus was LG had some fairly important adjustments to make prior to competing with the big brands. The machine lacks RGB in and will only accept S-Video through the front panel socket which means in a normal setup (assuming you don't want leads plugging in on the front of the unit) the best input is composite - far from ideal. Also lacking is any Flexible Record/Fit To Disk option.

That said the machine has the ability to record upto 4 hours (!) at full resolution which is a stunning achievement. Bottom line seems to be the LG recorder is good when compared to other budget models (DVD+ machines from the likes of Mustek etc) but has some major omissions to correct before it can compete with the DVD- heavy-weights.

3. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Rasczak - I did find a link to this review but could not view it. :(

I use Norton's and have done all it asks to let me view it but no joy. :mad:

If you can get it, could you please mail it to me?

Cheers.

A. Dork

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,586
    From the looks of it the reviews aren't online yet - you'll need to use the reprint service or wait a couple of months for them to be uploaded (or order the back issues).

5. KDH

KDH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Thanks, KDH.

A. Dork

7. inabsentia

inabsentia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's one I posted on another thread

Well, heres a differing view..I'm afraid it's a bit of a pig..and I'm a big fan of LG products too (Which is why I bought it!!)

The 4 hour maximum time recording is a bit of a downer..especially if you are away for extended periods and rely on timer recordings.

The big problem is recording onto re-writables...I tend to use it to record off video or live TV, then take it onto my PC to edit, author and burn onto a write once disc..VR mode is next to useless for doing this..lip synch problems galore..If you record a couple or more different things onto a disc then transfer it onto your PC, it's guaranteed to be out of synch. Using the 'Video' mode gets around this, but I'm finding that I'm getting halfway through a discs capacity and the recorder switches off and I get a messages saying 'disc error, trying to recover'. This happens afer about 37 minutes in HQ mode, around 1hr 10 mins in SQ mode and 2hr 10 in LQ mode..

This is, of course, when I can get it to recognise a re-writable disc..pop a fresh one in and it will automaticlly format the disc-but in VR mode, if you want to use Video mode, you've got to let it go through the process then re-format again. Most times, it will go through 3 minutes of 'formatting' 3 minutes of 'thinking about it' then it tells me it can't recognise the disc...I've tried half a dozn different brands and it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever.

I've had no problems at all with my +R machine, no formatting re-writables, 6 hours recording time, no problems with my PC recognising discs it burns (another problem with the LG-and yes-I have finalised them first). Sorry LG you've got a right lemon on your hands here, and it's going back to Comet tomorrow....

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,586
    How are you importing them onto your PC? What programme are you using?

The LG records in double the resolution of other DVD recorders at the 4hr mark - to many this is more important than length of recording - especially as the 6 and 8hr recording modes on all DVD recorders tend to be fairly unwatchable. If you need extended capacity you should really look at a HDD solution...

9. KDH

KDH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. inabsentia

inabsentia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for coming back so late onto this thread..I'd completely forgot about it!

First answer. I drop the vobs onto my hard disc then edit them in Womble MPEG Wizard 2003...best MPEG editor I've come across-maintain the same bitrate and audio format of the original and it's very quick..then re-author in TMPGEnc DVD Author.

second answer. I can see that the higher quality of the 4 hour recordings could be seen as bonus, but as these units are being seen as replacements for VCR's, where 6, 8 and even 10 hour recording times are possible, I still maintain that this is a huge flaw. There are times, say holidays, where 4 hours recording time simply is not going to be enough. The 6 hour recording time on my Mico recorder is far better than VHS long play, and for years thats been acceptable to most people. 8 hours would still give you VCD quality which you wouldn't user as a 'keeper' obviously, but for catching the wifesd soaps etc, it would be ok.

I notice the Lite On 5005 can record in VCD quality...I don't know whether this is only to CD media or whether it will also do it to DVD format. Having that sort of facility on this machine would be a great boost for those times where extra recording length is more important than quality.

To update on my initial thoughts on this machine..I've found that it is ok with TDK re-writable media, but the -VR format is poor...which is a shame as it basically negates the excellent on board editing. Make a single edit and the whole discs runs out of sync. -Video mode is fine, and it makes life easier when I transfer footage onto my PC. The actual quality of the picture is just superb-whichever of the settings I choose, so it's not all bad One other 'bugbear' though is that it won't play DVD menus that I create on my PC DVD burner..They play fine on the other three players we've got in the house, too.

I've stuck with it though I was sorely tempted to send it back. I'm hoping that LG can make some changes to their firmware to bring it up to spec.

11. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,586
    inabsentia - sounds like you should take the LG back. Lip Sync issues in this day and age are totally unacceptable. Especially from a 'decent' firm like LG. Lets hope they can correct these issues before their HDD/DVDR combo hits the streets.

Well the idea if you want that much recording time is that you buy a HDD/DVDR combo which give recording times up 200+ hours. HDD/DVDRs are fast becoming the 'norm' anyway: Panasonic for example expects 65% of it's DVDR sales to be HDD/DVDR combos this year.

12. stolt

stolt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I too was looking at this machine or the liteon 5005, really fancied theLG but have been swayed by the liteone for several reason on reviews I have read off the net. I understand the Liteon has it's faults but seems overall it might be better for what I need, dv tapes, recording from sky and vhs..