lg dr4810 dvd-r disc full conundrum...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by goatboy2k, Jan 2, 2005.

1. goatboy2k

goatboy2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK guys, happy new year ;)

Can anyone help? I slip in a brand new dvd-r, hit record, play on the VHS and record one 20 minute program. I then hit STOP and wait for the file info to be saved.

I spool forward on the VHS to the next prog. I want to record and press play on the VHS. Hitting record on the DVD gives the message "Disc Full" with one 20 minute program!!!!

What gives? Do I have to use pause and go for all four hours at once? I didnt finalize, btw.

Any help most greatful..

Ta, Ade.

2. dekoded

dekoded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    What record mode are you using,HQ/SQ/LQ? although even in hq you should be able to record about 1 hour.
    I also have this model, but I haven't tried recording from VHS, but that shouldn't really make a difference. It does say in the manual that the picture contains interference the record times may be shorter, I assume this is something to do with the VBR encoder.
    PS what mode are you using VR or VIDEO?

3. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Have you set the record up for "flexible recording" on a Panny? If so it will fill the disk up.

4. dekoded

dekoded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    After further reading of the manual I realise that, quote: if you're recording on a dvd-r disc the recording mode will always be video mode.
    I think bobcar is confused as to which model you have, as far as I know the lg doesn't have a flexible recording mode but I could be wrong.

5. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    No I think you're right. I never saw the reference to LG, its in the header but not the post so by the time I got to reading the post I'd forgotten the header (I'm getting on a bit).

6. goatboy2k

goatboy2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help thus far guys - yes, sorry it is an LG DR4810.

It was in LQ mode to fit 4 hrs on, and of course Video mode as this is the only mode available on a DVD-r on this model.

(The VR option seems to be widely criticised as being flaky - it's not as good as editing on a HD/DVD combined model, but I have Sky+ so didnt buy one of those)

Anywasy, I would have thought that you could just go back to a dvd-r again and again on seperate occasions until the disc was full? :confused: ... it worked on the DVD-r I got with the unit, maybe it doesn't like the Verbatim ones I am currently using...

7. dekoded

dekoded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    It would seem that it must be the discs that you are using as you say it worked on a different brand.
    If you take the disc out when it says that is full have you looked at the recordable side to see how much of the disc has been burned? just to make sure that there actually unburned space left and to rule out a recording problem.
    when you press the 'display' button on the remote with the 'full' disc in what does the osd say about the disc space?

8. dekoded

dekoded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    For some reason when using a -rw,in video mode, after recording onto the disc (even a few seconds ) if I eject the disc and then put it back into the machine a message appears saying 'recovering defective disc' and after a few seconds reads the disc and then I'm able to play/ record again.
    This also happens if I power off and on again.
    Even if I finalize the disc before doing either of the above it still happens :confused:
    None of this has any effect on the recording which still plays ok.

9. acre

acre

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know it's a while ago but I've now got the same problem same machine - DVD-R disk full after 10 secs recording. It used to work fine and then part way through a stack of DVD-Rs the problem started. Happens with Philips and Panansonic disks so I reckon it's the machine. I will try your -RW fix. Did you find out anything else since your last post