LG DM2780D on PC

robgoldsmith

Standard Member
Reaction score
Got this setup working at home now to watch movies etc on my PC.

Had a few problems!

1) The card wouldnt find the monitor with HDMI so I am using HDMI to DVI converter, hmmm

2) Power DVD wont play movies without telling me it cant, it then plays them but the foreground objects are not crisp but instead I get 2 images swimming along next to each other while the slow background stuff looks lush!

3) Still not convinced by anything I have seen, things are def better on my harddrive than running from blu ray disks. (CPU at 3ghz and maxed)

4) Unsure if things are running in 3d or if they are running on some kind of 2d-3d converter, is there anyway to know?

Looks good though, downloaded all the LG clips from youtube using a youtube hd downloader, Avatar looks immense!

Rob

I have an lg 3d monitor and my card could not find monitor either.I downloaded drivers from LG website and it found it then

Never thought of youtube hd downloads cheers ii will try that

did you buy power dvd I am using tri def that I got with monitor.

Initially bought this as an intro to 3d and really enjoy gaming on it and am now considering buying a 3d projector

oh btw MERRY XMAS everybody

I was using Power DVD and now im using Tridef. Power DVD seems to have more depth but Tridef makes the foreground look right! will stick with that

Does the monitor come with the tridef software or do I need to purchase.

I'm mainly wanting this monitor to play games from the PS3 and from my PC rather than movies.

I have a mid range ATI 69XX card but think I might need extra software to accomplish 3d from games. Any tips appreciated...

it came with my monitor!
I find blu ray 3ds kill my computer! They cant cope at all, i dont know why though!

4gb ram
2.7ghz processor

Hmmmmm

Much happier with that software

FIXED!

Ok for the best software to watch downloaded HD videos from youtube :p I use Tri Def, cant fault it!

The issues I was getting with very slow Blu Rays was because the Hardware acceleration was noe enabled. Funnily enough though enabling it in Power DVD 11 would only give me a black screen and wouldnt allow me to watch the Blu Ray!

So it was either 100% maxed CPU and jerky videos or blackness!

In the end I ended up going back to Power DVD 10 and enabling Hardware acceleration in this! What do you know! It worked, I also had to change my LG monitor to 120 3d lcd Nvidia 3d vision!

Now EVERYTHING works and I can enjoy my first ever full 3d blu ray from my own bed!

Looong day, these people dont make it easy but we are there :)

On other threads they have recommended downloading the LG monitor profile

LG Product Support for DM2780D-PZ

Does that help.

TBH software compatibility is my main worry - not a lot of point getting a new 3D monitor if it doesn't do 3D very well :)

I use Win7 64 bit

yeah me too. Videos are fine and 2d to 3d looks ace! just wonder about blu rays! I never know if they are running right or not!

Is Micro Polarised LCD the right one as this seems to run everything the best, hdmi 1.4 mode doesnt work at all

Rob

Scrap that, I was running the trutheatre thing so i imagine the 3d was just the 2d version of the disk played with 2d/3d tru theatre converter....how the heck to i make power dvd play in 3d without trutheatre turned on? should it auto recognise?

yeah me too. Videos are fine and 2d to 3d looks ace! just wonder about blu rays! I never know if they are running right or not!

Is Micro Polarised LCD the right one as this seems to run everything the best, hdmi 1.4 mode doesnt work at all

Rob

You have a passive lg ( micro polerizer ), it's allso the option i'd use if i could live with pc and 3d blurays and lg!
This uses the native fpr 3d screen so the monitor does'nt switch into 3d mode as micro polerizer is a niative 3d format that requires no 3d proccessing ;)
I'd allso use 60hz as 24p material cannot work with any type of extra motion handling as it creates massive artifacts on moving images, this is'nt motion plus artifacts, this is interleaved motion plus artifacts.
I'd think your best option could possibly be DLP option in powerdvd and then select checkerboard 3d option on the monitor when the film starts.

Seeing as you have a lg passive monitor you should'nt be troubled by any colourbugs with interleaved or checkerboard so if you can checkerboard and motion settings activated you can get a nice smooth 24p image if your monitor supports 24p and motion handling.

Thanks, appreciated!

So I should select TruTheatre? It wont just auto detect without it selected?

I have also tried total media theatre and this also fails to recognise the blu ray as 3d even though i click 3d at the start and have "play all 3d blu rays in 3d" selected.

I do wonder if using my DVI port with an HDMI adapter is somehow causing issues?

Very odd, in poth DLP with checkerboard selected and also polerized, it seems the images are too far apart from one another so i keep getting 2 images next to each other with anything in the foreground

Very odd, in poth DLP with checkerboard selected and also polerized, it seems the images are too far apart from one another so i keep getting 2 images next to each other with anything in the foreground

Can you get a picture through one of the 3d glasses lenses while your 3d issue is present?

Not sure about true theatre.
Are you using power dvd 10 or 11 as the moment?
I'll test and provide you with some pics of how it should be setup ;)

I've allways used dvi to hdmi with no issues but then i belive i have a full dvi with all it's pins to hdmi cable.

2 images sounds like scaling or powerdvd/arcsoft is'nt running in full screen?

Last edited:
It just looks 2d when using one lens, the same as when i close one eye wearing them.

Strange that all my downloaded 3d is fine yet the imax blu ray causes issues

It just looks 2d when using one lens, the same as when i close one eye wearing them.

Strange that all my downloaded 3d is fine yet the imax blu ray causes issues
And thats because 3d blurays and pc's are not very good together, i've never gotten on with 3d bluray pc software.
Best i do is xbmc for its smooth playback of mkv files with audio in sync or a external 3d bluray player for 3d blurays.
I'm trying to help but the fact is i hated powerdvd ect and never got anything to work satisfactory apart from checkerboard and that was with a sammy.

Received mine and am very happy with it.

A tip:

When first put together the monitor was tipped forward slightly and wouldn't tilt back - 3d effect was rubbish - lots of ghosting in foreground

Noticed that just tilting the screen back slightly greatly improved the 3D

Took the stand attachment apart and noticed it did have adjustment, it was just 'stuck' in the tilt forward position.

So refitted and adjustment of tilt was now working and suddenly the world of 3D was better.

Just in case anyone else thought their stiff stand had no tilt adjustment!!!

So far I've mainly watched movies in side by side format using win media player or media player classic in full screen mode and 3d has been fine.

I need to get some 3d blu-ray player software next rather than the demos my friend lent me, but its looking good!

Only played a few games in 3d but looking forward to more. (sonic generations was a bit too fast to enjoy in 3d - using lg-supplied tridef updated to latest).

I think mine is good!

Only thing is though is that anything super close doesnt seem to look 3d but just 2 images. Everything is perfect with depth, just the things in the very front never look right

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom